3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What Common Mods & First Steps - New Member Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Common Mods & First Steps - New Member Here

First post here, so thank you in advance for any assistance.

I've searched a while for some common mods or first steps towards getting more power out of this rig, but I'm not having much luck. I don't mind the searching, but....I have no idea what to search for.

I guess what I'm after is a direction to go. There's not much done to the truck, and I'm definately not new to modifying a diesel (lots of work done on a different brand). BHAF, silencer ring removal, and a straight pipe is all that's done so far. We put gauges in last weekend, as I know that's the 1st step before modification, and tranny upgrades are in the future as well.

So what's next? Any modifications to the fuel pump? What about modifying the wastegate to allow more boost? I don't know, just throwing out some thoughts.

Thanks again for your help. There's a local 7.3 Powerstroke that's pretty darn fast I'm trying to outrun.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:01 PM

Welcome to the site.

It looks like you have a good idea on what to do first. You'll need to upgrade the fuel pump. An excellent upgrade is the Glacier Diesel Kit.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/

What power range are you wanting to be at and how fast do you want to go?

How fast is the local 7.3 your after?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jtharvey
First post here, so thank you in advance for any assistance.

I've searched a while for some common mods or first steps towards getting more power out of this rig, but I'm not having much luck. I don't mind the searching, but....I have no idea what to search for.

I guess what I'm after is a direction to go. There's not much done to the truck, and I'm definately not new to modifying a diesel (lots of work done on a different brand). BHAF, silencer ring removal, and a straight pipe is all that's done so far. We put gauges in last weekend, as I know that's the 1st step before modification, and tranny upgrades are in the future as well.

So what's next? Any modifications to the fuel pump? What about modifying the wastegate to allow more boost? I don't know, just throwing out some thoughts.

Thanks again for your help. There's a local 7.3 Powerstroke that's pretty darn fast I'm trying to outrun.

Start off with a new torque converter. Then add in a valve body. Follow that up with billet input and output shafts. Once thats done move towards boost fooling using something like a box or programmer. For fuel, try to get a pulse timing box, not a pressure box. After this, try a Phat Shaft turbo, or a set of twins. If you have a plastic ended intercooler you'll want to upgrade that. As well, if you do a turbo and go over 45 psi you'll want to do head studs. Now...ATS has an exhaust manifold and intake elbow that are top priority on my list! After that it's up to you...stack a new box, add some nitrous, you will want to add a walbro or fass to feed your pump, and after all thats done maybe something like water-meth injection.

" This is strictly information, anything listed may void your warranty and I am not responsible for your loss.....U have 2 PAY to PLAY!!!"
Nate
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 PM

do a search for the tone ring mod. its free, its easy, and it makes a noticable difference.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen to what Luken suggested and change your stock fuel pump. It's marginal at best. Before you add any more power, the fuel needs to be upgraded. From there, like he asked, "What kinda power do you want?"... And he should know cause his truck is VERY, VERY BAD...
Lotsa options out there...