3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What CFM electric fan is needed for a non towing truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What CFM electric fan is needed for a non towing truck?

I'd like to go ahead and install an electric fan on my 06 2500. It's a daily driver-weekend drag truck that weighs in around 6500 with me in it. The most it will tow will more than likely be around 2,000 pounds (four wheeler/trailer). I use my AC a lot here in FL, and still want it to blow very cold.. I know the stock fan moves a lot of air.. Since this truck is a standard cab short bed, it will never be a big tower.. I like the idea of a hint more torque, a little better economy, and a cleaner engine bay.. Thanks..
Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 AM

Well, I went ahead and bought a single electric fan for a Lincoln Mark VIII.. It had a rating of 4500 cfm.. As a single, that's the largest CFM I could find..
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Morse
I'd like to go ahead and install an electric fan on my 06 2500. It's a daily driver-weekend drag truck that weighs in around 6500 with me in it. The most it will tow will more than likely be around 2,000 pounds (four wheeler/trailer). I use my AC a lot here in FL, and still want it to blow very cold.. I know the stock fan moves a lot of air.. Since this truck is a standard cab short bed, it will never be a big tower.. I like the idea of a hint more torque, a little better economy, and a cleaner engine bay.. Thanks..
I'm going on the assumption that you know what you're doing, but I would recommend against replacing the stock fan with electric. You just won't get the needed cooling. I have considered getting an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator for extra cooling, maybe on a switch.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

A lot of people use the stock electric fans from a late 90's Ford Taurus for off-road buggies. I have one of my Toyota and it moves A LOT of air. You can get them in a 1 or 2 speed model and they come with a shroud built-in. A tight fitting shroud is the key to getting an electric fan to work.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have found that NOTHING comes close to a stock fan/clutch set-up for keeping engines cool...
my Taurus fan barley keeps my v6 Chevy cool
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
tcr

I would use the Flexalite dual setup for the 02 Cummins, but it still will not keep up in some cases.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I have found that NOTHING comes close to a stock fan/clutch set-up for keeping engines cool...
my Taurus fan barley keeps my v6 Chevy cool
Wow. I've seen one keep a 302 Cobra motor cool in St. George in the summer. Do you have a custom shroud that covers the entire radiator?

I agree that you will never get an electric fan that compares to the stocker. I think Morse knows what he's doing though and is willing to see if he can get away with it for race purposes.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Wow. I've seen one keep a 302 Cobra motor cool in St. George in the summer. Do you have a custom shroud that covers the entire radiator?

I agree that you will never get an electric fan that compares to the stocker. I think Morse knows what he's doing though and is willing to see if he can get away with it for race purposes.
yep shroud and all...I don't get it either lots of v8 guys claim it cools fine but not for me?????

I would be bummed to spend 600 bucks on a fan set-up and have the truck run hot still
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
yep shroud and all...I don't get it either lots of v8 guys claim it cools fine but not for me?????

I would be bummed to spend 600 bucks on a fan set-up and have the truck run hot still
You don't have a 2 speed model wired to run only on low speed, do you?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
going to get a check engine light with the stocker removed too.

Originally Posted by jrussell
You don't have a 2 speed model wired to run only on low speed, do you?
I may be dumb...but not that dumb
maybe I got a bad motor/fan from the junk yard I bought it from?
I will get it figured soon as I get time...
end thread jack...sorry Morse

The Ford minivan fans (aerostar, windstar?. it's been awhile) have been used on hotrods for quite a few years now. I had a dual fan from one of the above on a 600hp chevelle for a few years, street driven, never went over 180degrees. Now I know it doesn't compare with a 600hp Cummins, but take it for what it's worth. Those fans were so powerful, I could turn them on manually and if you stood behind my car, you could feel the air blowing across your ankles.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 PM

what is the CFM rating of the stock fan, i know a guy around town driving a 2003 Powerstroke, he put the Flex A Lite electric fans that are a replacement for the stock fan and he has had zero overheating issues, i think that it is not impossible to swap over to electric fans its just a matter of a company releasing a replacement for our fan
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

i have read somewhere on here, that if the replacement fans(or additional fans) are not rated at the same capacity of the stocker, they will be an airflow restriction. they will only supply the rated capacity and will limit how much air is actually pulled through the cores. even if the fan is off and going at freeway speed, on or off, they will only flow the rated cfm. any of this make any sense?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM

but what is the stocker rated at?

Quick Reply: What CFM electric fan is needed for a non towing truck?