3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What to buy first and general consensus on make?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to buy first and general consensus on make?

Okay I have three things or so I am going to buy soon for the new truck...but want input on items either here or PM as to makes and models for what I want....no input will be ignored as I am new to Dodge and Diesel both...LOL

1. Line-X going in first including bed rails....should not get any argument there but laying it all out for the forum.

2. Westin or Raptor side steps....mostly for wife to help her 5'3" DD chest get up in the truck easier.... Seen some westin on ebay but no wheel to wheel models. The Raptors are offered as substitute for the Mopar series at my dealership and are much cheaper than Mopar and appear to be very solid.

3. Chrome bug deflector, likely stick with the Mopar version here whether Ebay or dealership.

4. Either the MOPAR slush mats or Husky Liners out of Cabela's

Then the things for later:

1. 33s or 285s....always liked Bridgestone Duelers but they have had some issues in past...so BF Goodrich is next choice. Keeping the polished forged aluminum wheels that came with my Thunder Road package.

2. Bushwhacker fender flares,EXTENDAFENDER series in black to match handles and other trim work. Wanted slightly wider than OE to help with spray off tires. What do you think about mudflaps as well....?

3. High flow air intake box and filter, have always used K&N on Jeep and Motorcycles..... truck already has 4" pipe from turbo through exhaust so not sure whether to put flowmaster on her and remove the KittyFarter or not....what are the pros and cons as far as backpressure and such you have found?

5. Gauges, EGT-Boost-Tranny temp....want them to mount over rear view mirror if I can find a mount to keep them all up there out the way as I want to keep my grab handle. If not then will go with pillar mount with the three gauges...I think ISSPRO has the white face that match the new Dodge dials.

NOW FOR THE HARD PART: I know absolutely nothing about this so want input. I want durability but good both ways between power and durability. Not looking to drag race on weekends or pull sleds..but do want more useable horsepower/torge with some fuel efficiency...just make my truck run more efficient all around with power and fuel useage without requiring new rear end and stuff.

1. Chip or module upgrade....power and performance without losing in fuel efficiency. Just help what I got reach its potential without needing to bulletproof auto-tranny, rear end, etc. I hunt and four wheel quite a bit.....it is also my daily driver. PULL dads 25 foot trailer every few months to carry his tractors to shop or drop off at farm but usually no more than 8000 lbs towed...sometimes 10,000 pounds. Saw Superchip, BullyDog, EZ, etc.....I dont want to get one that is going to cause me to break stuff every time...I also want one that is not going to continuallly through codes and is easy to remove in the event it must go back to shop for warranty. LOL

2. fiberglass tonneau cover like ARE or Lund....want weather-tite, secure and ability to match paint. Also like to be able to remove fairly easy....weight not huge issue but being able to remove easily or within 30 minutes is needed for hauling big stuff in bed.

3. Synthetic oil for engine, tranny, diff, etc...usually use Mobil 1 but may try AMSOIL. I usually wait until broke in but the Cummins does not need it so is the second oil change a good time on the diesels..as first will likely be around 4000-6000 miles this time?

Anything else I should look at...? I know this is a lot...but a long...WHAT EVERY CUMMINS 2500 DODGE OWNER should have would be nice....as a reference point. thanks again....
Old 12-26-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought:

1. Extra oil and air filters to have on hand, an extra fuel filter to carry in the truck. Socket to change it with.

2. Extra fuses and a couple of relys. There were no spares in the fuse box.

3. 'Unimat', which is a black carpet thing to cover the dash. I used a piece of black felt until it arrived, which you can also use to see if you think that you need/want one. Lighter colored dashes are soooooo stupid.

4. Mud flaps. Some think they don't look sporty or cool, but I guess they think it's cooler to throw rocks all over the paint and people behind you.

5. Bed liner. I used Rhino, use what you like.

6. Fuel additive; lowers gel point in the winter and increases fuel lubricity. I use Stanadyne, most seem to use whatever is at Wallyworld.

7. Winter tires if you need them. 4WD is not a lever or button to Fantasy Land, where the marginal stock tires magically have traction in all winter conditions. I also got chains for all wheels, and have used them more than a couple of times on glaze ice.

8. Canopy, but most don't.

I did not get:

1. Side steps. A coworker did, and he says that they're pretty much something to whack your feet on.

2. Oiled air filters. They are consistenly associated with increased silicon (dirt) levels in used oil analysis results.

3. Power chip of any sort. I think that the 100k mile Cummins warranty is a good deal, and I plan on trying to get 500k miles out of the truck.

I'd like to get:

1. Selectable locker.

2. Wide angle mirror for the driver' side. There is a small but dangerous blind spot with the stock mirror.

3. The ability to turn on warm air to the windshield without turning the AC on.

4. Brighter back up lights. The stock 3057 bulbs are marginal.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM

Thanks...

Yeah, I actually use my 4x4 offroad for hunting and camping and cutting wood....so forgot to think about a selectable rear locker.

No snow here in Charleston SC area but we got some red clay mud or "pluff-mud" that will make grown men cry...hahahaha.

Thanks for the extra items I did not think about that were common in my Jeep like fuses, wire, siphon hose, etc...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Chapter President

First off I have just registered to this site, I have been looking at it every day for the last few weeks. This site is almost addicting.
Brock as for mods depending on how long you want to take to remove everything from the truck before taking it to the dealer should make some of the decisions for you. To take longer to restock the truck I would get something that has a monitor for use as gauges, like Banks Six-gun and PDA or Edge with an Attitude, or maybe by next month Quadzilla with thier monitor, and remove the silencer ring. If you just want to take a few minutes to put your truck back to stock just a module like Edge or Quadzillas XZT would do what you want.
The mods you would want to put on that the dealer should not say much about is air intake and exhaust. When the dealer sees these they should not void your warranty, they might only do that if they see a computer helper was involved, but that depends on the dealership, try to find one that the mechanics are running power mods and you should be alright with leaving all of the fun things on the truck.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just some of my thoughts as I went over your list....

Line X, Rhino, or Toff liner are all good to have sprayed in. While you are doing that, have you considered having the lower part of the body under the body seam sprayed as well? I think that would look better than mudflaps and you don't have to worry about rock chips on the paint. If mine starts to have a problem with chips, that is my plan. You can see pics of it done on Medicshawn's truck here on DTR in his gallery.

Side steps........if you want Wheel to Wheel....take a look at "Tech Tubes". I have some pics in my gallery. I decided I liked the Ranch Hand side steps better and made the switch, but the Tech Tubes are great quality and stainless steel (no rust).

I am very happy with the BFG 285's with my stock Forged Wheels. They came with the "Lone Star Package" which I assume is the same as the "Big Horn or Thunder Road Packages". The 285's in my opinion look great but don't sacrifice much in fuel economy or power robbing. Good compromise.

I don't know much about the Bushwacker Flares. Have you considered the Power Wagon Flares? I added them to my truck recently, and I think they look great.

I would definately add an Air Box (I like AFE) of some type and any 4'' straight through style muffler. (I like the Magnaflow). Don't worry about back pressure. That is for gassers. Your concern should only be keeping your EGTs down and a sound level your comfortable with.

I think gauges should be your first mod. I went with Di Pricol and I like them, but if I had a choice to do it over....I probably would go with Isspro because they all match each other better and look good in the Dodge Trucks.

I can't help you much with "chips". Just be careful running around all the time with a Fuel Pressure only box on a high setting. It can damage the injectors. Probably should consider a Timing and Duration Box. You should also read about the "Rokktech Sensor" or "Tone Ring Mod". Do a search on here and you will find hours of reading on those.

Can't help you with box lid covers.

I would hold off on the Synthetic engine oil to at least 20,000 miles or so. Cummins engines DO NEED to be broken in. But you need to take it out and WORK it. Work it a while, pull a heavy load somewhere a few times and get some miles under it loosen it up some....and it will run great for a million miles with proper care. I would stick with dino oil until it is broken in good....then make your switch to Synthetic after that. I am using Shell Rotella T 15W40 and change it every 5k with a fleetguard Stratapore filter. The diffs already use synthetic gear lube. I use Mobil 1 75W90 in those and change out every 15k.

Congrats on your new truck!! I hope you get as much pleasure driving it as I have mine! I have been a newby prowling around on here for a little over a year and this has been a tremendous resource in my quest for knowledge. Feel free to use any or all of my suggestions or none of them....but those are my opinions and thoughts after a 1 1/2 years of ownership of this diesel truck.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 AM

THanks...this is exactly what I was hoping for...no BS input from guys that have it on their trucks....not just something they heard about at the pool hall like so many other places.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:53 AM

So far as the gauges, you could get the holder from an SRT 10.
It would give you one gauge mount and still retain your grab handle.
I had Line x installed over the rail shortly after I got my truck and am very happy with it.

I had the dealer add the Dodge steps on my truck when I bought it.
My wife is also height challenged and for the first few days after I got the truck, we had a step stool so she could get in the cab.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 AM

my buddy got his Line-X over the rail and was best decision he made.

yep wife is height challenged and top heavy so she is double trouble....thanks for comment.s
Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 AM

Brock,

Did you ever finalize any decisions on mods for your truck?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brock JMHO!

Loose the bling and go for the parts that make your truck perform better first!
With diesel prices the way they are you cannot loose!

Side step bars were my first purchase!!

And for Godsake get the Mopar Tow Mirrors!!!!! You will not be sorry!

Rick
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 AM

15k before syn.oil and loose the K&N thought and use a BHAF or AFE Pro Guard with a outerwears etc.Myself I could care less for spray in liners.I have used $55 buck bedmats in last three trucks with a top bed protector etc.Used the Linex money elsewhere.After all it is a TRUCK bed.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:44 AM

Side steps are great I am 6'2" and I even use them. I would be very wary of any Black powder coated ones as they tend to rust out quick, especially the Mopar ones. If you want Black some make a Black stainless but it is expensive

Tires, I think that my next tires will be 285's as I want the 33" tall but less width. My 33x12.5x17 MT's ruin my mileage. I really like the Toyo's.

Fender Flares, alot of people don't like the Bushwackers but I love mine. Just don't get wide ones if you don't get wide tires and/or rims with less offset as they will look goofy

Mud flaps without a doubt. I was able to use my molded factory flaps with my Bushwhaker Pocket Flares. Just had to use the fronts on the back and the back ones on the front. Funny how it worked out

I use my truck to hunt also, and I have a cap so I got a BedRug versus my first choice of LineX. Much more comfortable if I have to climb in to get something, very comfortable to sleep on and very durable. Just a thought.

Towing mirrors are a must even if you don't tow.

Good Luck,

Hondo
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 AM

The rule of thumb I am doing with my truck is, Performance first, then looks. The bed liner is a 1st tho...that will save you more then once. Other then that work on performance.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sevir
The rule of thumb I am doing with my truck is, Performance first, then looks.

I sort of tend to disagree. The reason is I want to drive my truck a while and let the warranty be able to save my butt if necessary. I have put most of my money into areas of the truck that won't hurt my warranty. (Ranch Hand, Spray liner, New Tires, Mag Hytec products, gauges and now I went ahead with the AFE Stage 2 and Magnaflow) Once the warranty fades away I plan to bomb aggressively. The other reason is I want to have a built tranny (DTT) done first before I add the big power.

Hopefully in a couple of years I will have a twin turbo'd 600+ hp monster. In the mean time, I am letting everything settle in and see if there are going to be any issues that are going to require warranty work. So far it is fine, but I can't afford to be my own warranty station yet.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM

There's no real rhyme or reason to how I've been getting mine rigged....I just do stuff as the need arises...First was the silencer ring, just for fun....And mudflaps to save my paint...Then I put on the backup lights, and the switches/wiring for future stuff...I did the muffler next, and then the intake side to compliment the muffler....When I did the BHAF, I had to make a splash shield, so at the same time I made my door guards...And while in the metal shop I made my ipod bracket....During all that time I was saving my pennies for steps....Now I've got those on, and I ordered my new floor mats with Christmas money....A few other things here and there...Now I'm planning for gauges...Still cant decide how to do those....Sometime before our vacation I'll get some seat covers....Then I'll start saving for suspension and tires....I probably have 40k miles to worry about that...

But truth be told, I'm probably done for a while...I need to visit the dentist, and the wife is trying to get pregnant...Both of those will put a stop to me buying toys...

Quick Reply: What to buy first and general consensus on make?