3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

what to beat ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How bout 6spd for 6spd? Who makes it up first then?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mag I read showed the Dodges on top pulling 10k trailer. Now empty the dodge got beat by Ford and Chevy and on the HP on the dyno. Now torque the Dodges blasted by the others even with them running nitrous and the dodge without.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 PM

Edmunds did this one:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115662

They wanted the test to compare the trucks loaded to 81% of their GCWR, so the added ballast to each to bring it up to that percentage. Pulling 8600lb trailer up a grade. The chevy with 2400 lbs in its bed, the ford with 3700 lbs, and the dodge...EMPTY (dodge has by far the lowest GCWR of the three). The dodge was still slowest up the hill. EMPTY. Both others had over a ton in their bed plus the trailer weight. The dodge had the trailer weight alone..and still it was last up the hill. Everyone in colorado pulls a fifth wheel, and when you all gather around at the campground over the fire...the dodge guys love their trucks but admit to waving goodbye to the other two on a grade.

I am very sure a 6 speed manual would even the field on the other makers automatics...but we are talking auto versus auto here. When big hills are involved...the dodge does not shine.

That does not mean I don't like them better.

Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Mav

honestly yes they are more unreliable then cummins but ford fixed most of problems after 03 and even more after 04 the 05 06 and 07 trucks are actually quite nice to drive,but id still wouldnt buy 1 for the reason that the cummins is more tunable, cheaper and you can basically take the engine out with no body mods. On the ford they recomend pulling the cab off to get the 6.0 out. But anyway would the bddl remove tq managment be safe to run on a stock truck on the tow or performance mode?( this is kinda turning into a bullydog post, not on purpose) THANKS
Old 08-28-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by billindenver
Edmunds did this one:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115662

They wanted the test to compare the trucks loaded to 81% of their GCWR, so the added ballast to each to bring it up to that percentage. Pulling 8600lb trailer up a grade. The chevy with 2400 lbs in its bed, the ford with 3700 lbs, and the dodge...EMPTY (dodge has by far the lowest GCWR of the three). The dodge was still slowest up the hill. EMPTY. Both others had over a ton in their bed plus the trailer weight. The dodge had the trailer weight alone..and still it was last up the hill. Everyone in colorado pulls a fifth wheel, and when you all gather around at the campground over the fire...the dodge guys love their trucks but admit to waving goodbye to the other two on a grade.

I am very sure a 6 speed manual would even the field on the other makers automatics...but we are talking auto versus auto here. When big hills are involved...the dodge does not shine.

That does not mean I don't like them better.

Bill
It would be a nice change if they'd test all three trucks with 6 speed manual transmissions. I don't think the other two would do as well without their nice autos.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Mav

agreed thats what makes the trucks
Old 08-29-2006, 06:24 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad has on 05 2door 4x4 ford dually 6spd. I know for a fact that it will no where near pull like my dodge, with no box on it. chevy dosnt make a 6spd anymore so I guess they are out of the question. But I agree that empty, stock for stock my dads truck would outrun the dodge.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:33 AM
tcr

Yes, Chevy does make a 6spd, but it's an Allison auto, the true test will be w/ dodges new auto vs. the Allison and Torqueshift. Then if all trannies are equal the truth will be shown.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:32 AM

Yessir, and that is what we've been waiting for. Dodge really screwed the pooch in my opinion. Last year, the GM had a dated look, smaller cab but new engine and excellent tranny. If dodge had just put the 6 speed auto out last year, they could have grabbed a bunch of market share. Now, GM comes out with their new frame/body this year to combine with their engine and tranny...dodges new tranny will be very nice, but not the bell of the ball like it would have been last year. Nobody ever argues that the cummins is the better motor...if they had just given it the tranny when the world was looking for it.....

Bill
Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 AM

To try to answer your BDDl Question.

The BDDL downloader is very fast for the Dodge. I would not recommend removing TQ Mgmt. You will smoke the Trans in your truck with CL. you should be able to take the ford with the performance tune and I cant see him beating you with the Extreme. If you use CL I would not run it all the way through overdrive or you will probably do some damage. As far as smoking the tires down mine will spin them on the performance, smoke them through 2nd on extreme and on CL, its a bit better. you will not even need to power brake it to build pressure, just roll into the peddle and it will take off. One thing I have noticed is that unlike a gas motor, these diesels no matter what brand you get better performance if you do not punch it, but roll into the throttle. hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shudabo
The BDDL downloader is very fast for the Dodge. I would not recommend removing TQ Mgmt. You will smoke the Trans in your truck with CL. you should be able to take the ford with the performance tune and I cant see him beating you with the Extreme. If you use CL I would not run it all the way through overdrive or you will probably do some damage. As far as smoking the tires down mine will spin them on the performance, smoke them through 2nd on extreme and on CL, its a bit better. you will not even need to power brake it to build pressure, just roll into the peddle and it will take off. One thing I have noticed is that unlike a gas motor, these diesels no matter what brand you get better performance if you do not punch it, but roll into the throttle. hope this helps.
ok i'm gonna have to disagree here. my buudy has an 04 powerstroke King ranch 4 door short bed 4x4 torqshift. with a superchip on the highest setting which is 100-130hp area, his truck is VERY close to mine when running Bullydog on Extreme..and i have a tranny, intake, FASS, and i had an EZ stacked with it...which btw i do not suggest that stack. his is truck is bonestock with 35"s. The only thing that can put me far past him is boost fooling...i could do it with a Juice/EZ stack.....and now with a Quad boost fooler.

I guess its my tires, but my truck won't spin even on Extreme without building boost. CL with a boost fooler will squeak them pretty good....or build a little boost and then just spin donuts....i've done it.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Mav

yea id have to agree with you i mean idk how fast it would be. Could I remove tq mangement on performance?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

you can but be careful with the tranny
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 PM

It doesn't take much to beat a PSD. A stock 6.0 PSD only puts down about 480 or so lbs. of torque. A stock 610 CTD puts down about a 100 more at the wheels. You could probably beat him with the "tow" setting on a bully dog.
Nope......... I used to run a 6.0 powerstroke with a 100 hp tune (crew cab short bed 4x4) and it would pull mid 14s with ease. It takes a lot more than a tow program to get a dodge into 14.4s.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Ya know, I just sold my ford (6.0) and bought this mega cab and I gotta tell you the Fords are pretty dang quick----straight out of the shoot were all suck'n a little exhaust. I love my Dodge a lot better, I'm just saying you have to make up the deficit before you can start pull'n ahead.

Quick Reply: what to beat ford