3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Wha makes one and where do I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wha makes one and where do I get it?

............a heavy duty fuel pressure sender 0-40 psi that won't blow up. It seems every month my truck wrecks a sender. As of last night, it's bouncing between 0 and 52 psi. I know darn well it is around 18psi.

So, I need a fuel pressure sender with male 1/8" NPT....0-40 psi.

This is a pic of the light duty type Quadzilla uses, so Westach is not an option. I currently have the "heavy duty" (black) ones...yes plural:
Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is a marine application but it does not say "Heavy Duty"
It is a 0-60 psi. Might give them a call to verify.

Fuel Pressure sender
Old 11-29-2008, 10:59 AM

I think before you just swap it for something else you need to know the reisistance values of the existing one. However I think I might be inclined to figure out why I keep breaking them.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Auto meter guages has 'em and if you find a local speed shop, they should have it in stock. The electric is not always accrurate and as you have experience, fail from time to time.

IMO go mechanical gauge, never have this problem again.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Yes, mechanical would be nice, but that would mean more tapping, holes for a guage, +++. It would kinda defeat the purpose of having my Commander and a clean look.

I was able to get to an open performance shop here yesterday. I did pick up one of these: http://www.dieselinnovations.com/di....cts&product=78. It is from Autometer and I was surprised as all heck that they even had one. They only had light duty senders though.

I had a spare heavy duty sender sent up by Quad on my last order (It's a Stewart Warner and I am now out). So, I took 10 min yesterday afternoon and installed both. I haven't driven the truck anywhere yet, but upon starting to test for leaks..........it so far looks OK - fuel pressure steady around 17/18 psi., but they all have been like that fresh.

Hopefully this works. I ought to order up another sender just in case though. I sent an email to an instrument shop located in a suburb not far from here - I detailed everything I've tried so far with pictures. Well see what they come up with first. Hopefully, I'll get an answer before I need another sender.

The floor is still open for any others that have been trying to solve this issue.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Have you looked into a snubber to install before the pressure switch? Take a look around this site. I have read this will solve the failures of the sending units for the fuel pressure gauge.

Derek <*)))><
Old 11-30-2008, 01:32 PM

That's what that is in the link above.....a snubber. We'll see.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM

Those style sending units just do not hold up. I don't know why or how but, I have argued until I am blue in the face that they are failing and the manufacturers just tell me I am an idiot.

Long story short, it looks like there is only 1 manufacturer for all these type sending units. Datcon appears to be the one. The make them for Stewart Warner, Autometer etc.

The only thing I can offer is that as soon as we get them (supposedly before the end of the year) we are going to have an option to be able to use a transducer. This is a very high dollar piece that is the most accurate thing on the planet and they have no parts to fail internally. Of course anything can and will fail, the numbers of issues should be reduced to very minimal amounts.

These are the same style pressure transducers that Bosch uses for Rail Pressure readings, except the ones we had built are 0-100 psi units.

I now have enough miles on multiple trucks without a single hiccup to believe that these are the answer.

Normally these things can be $200 or more each but, I cut a deal locally with Texas Instruments to build them for us at a reasonable price.

I don't have all the pricing available but, it is EXTREMELY CHEAP for what you are getting.

I know this does not solve your problem immediately but, it is the best I can do and we have worked pretty dang hard to get here.

As soon as we have a delivery confirmation date we will put them available for sale.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Those style sending units just do not hold up. I don't know why or how but, I have argued until I am blue in the face that they are failing and the manufacturers just tell me I am an idiot.

Long story short, it looks like there is only 1 manufacturer for all these type sending units. Datcon appears to be the one. The make them for Stewart Warner, Autometer etc.

The only thing I can offer is that as soon as we get them (supposedly before the end of the year) we are going to have an option to be able to use a transducer. This is a very high dollar piece that is the most accurate thing on the planet and they have no parts to fail internally. Of course anything can and will fail, the numbers of issues should be reduced to very minimal amounts.

These are the same style pressure transducers that Bosch uses for Rail Pressure readings, except the ones we had built are 0-100 psi units.

I now have enough miles on multiple trucks without a single hiccup to believe that these are the answer.

Normally these things can be $200 or more each but, I cut a deal locally with Texas Instruments to build them for us at a reasonable price.

I don't have all the pricing available but, it is EXTREMELY CHEAP for what you are getting.

I know this does not solve your problem immediately but, it is the best I can do and we have worked pretty dang hard to get here.

As soon as we have a delivery confirmation date we will put them available for sale.
Thanks for jumping in Quad with some information.

Right now, even with limited use, the snubber in conjunction with the heavy duty sender appears to be behaving by far the best out of everything tried. I have a feeling it is only a matter of time to failure. I figure as soon as I add a gravel road to all the other shaking, it will be done.

Let me know, I wouldn't mind, hell I'd be more than exhilarated to test this transducer up here for you right now even - see if it will stand up to our cold too.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
need a snubber if running an electric fuel pressure gauge
Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm kind of used to seeing my fuel pressure run at 0 psi for a mile, then jump back to 6 - 8 psi. Quad replaced my first one, and this one lasted me about 3 months, I never complained again. Quad was really great about the first replacement, I don't know why I didn't ask again, probably because I'm just so happy with the rest of the Commander set up.

Please post here if you find something that works!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 PM

So far......snubber and heavy duty sender (black one). Until this transducer thing is out I guess.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjm022
need a snubber if running an electric fuel pressure gauge
ive never ran a snubber with my autometer electric fp guage and had it 2 yrs no problmes.....
Old 12-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Guess you're a lucky one.