3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Well, I got the 5" strait exhaust is on, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got the 5" strait exhaust is on, now what?

Man, if you are running a strait 5" exhaust system, please chime in here. What is your take on it? The EGT drop was well worth it and I know I will pick up fuel milage, CAUSE I AM SCARED TO GET OVER 1/4 THROTLE!!!!!
Man this thing is LOUD!!!!!! I figured it would be a nice deep mellow rumble but its just plain LOUD!

What muffler would you guys suggest to get a nice deep mellow rumble? I got plenty of air going out, now I need to tone it down a notch! This is coming from a guy who believes that the bigger the truck is, the louder it should be and the faster it should go! Guys help out please! Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 PM

I have a Dynomax Bullet on my truck it sounds pretty good and there only $35.00 at any muffler shop.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant help you with a muffler opinion as I dont believe in em. If you think it is loud now try thowin a bigger turbo on there, then it will be loud.

It does have a nicer tone now the doesnt it?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

I have a 4 inch turbo back to 5 inch smokers and I turned my Diablo sport down to tow mode and the cab noise got quieter. But when i start to pull a hill it gets loud lol. I thought of putting dyno matting under the capet and the roof and back wall of the truck to see if that helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

Ryder Fleet products... The muffler is awesome!!! Tones it down to where it's is livable!!! I'll look for the part number...

SHane
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

I have 5" staright-pipe also and love the sound. Not for everybody though. When I added my 6" tip on mine the exhaust tone changed some to a little deeper. It really a sound that you like or you don't. It is hard to get the perfect sound that you want.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

M090535 Part number

Here is a link for the muffler
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...fleet+products

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 PM

The sound is loud! Thats it. It doesnt have that nice big truck sound that these cummins engines are able to produce. It sounds like a power stroke on steroids! It pops like a big block chevy with 1-1/2" strait pipes. I just want a deeper mellow tone. I went with the 5" turbo back to control egts. I was able to peg 1500deg getting on the interstate. That problem is gone and then some, now I want to get my big diesel rumble back. I had been running the 4" strait with the cat in place. It had the right rumble, just needed to be more of it. Maybe I should have a buddy drive it and let me follow and listen to it?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Chapter President

Don't listen to DmaxEter!!! He's a wussified, no shorts wearing, scared of water momma's boy. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that he can't stand the noise!!!!!

By the way Dmax, you know I get your factory turbo elbow and downpipe rite???
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 PM

Sorry Street. The factory elbow stayed in place but the down pipe is yours if you want it!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Sorry Street. The factory elbow stayed in place but the down pipe is yours if you want it!
I just remembered somethin from a while back. Member Pourindiesel put a piece of 4" pipe in his 5" system. I cant remember is it made it any quieter but I do believe it made the drone go away. May be worth looking into. Sorry I dont have more details but I just cant remember.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM

Hey DMAX, give Rip Rook a call at Source Automotive. He has a muffler that I think is perfect for our trucks. It the Diamond Eye muffler, and there was a 5" in the classifieds a lil whle back, look throught them, it might still be there, just a page or two back. That is the system I had on my 01, and I had pneumonia cause I was riding around with the passenger window down in the winter to listen to it sing. I know our CR's are a lil different, but Rip said it is still the way to go.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 AM
tcr

Yeah, you don't know loud 'til you've 5" strait-piped a larger turbo. I actually have 2- 5" Magnaflow mufflers in series now. You might like the sound of 1 Magnaflow muffler though. I will warn you though, they have a core that tapers down to 4" ID. I have done ALOT of research and nobody makes a 5" muffler w/ a 5" strait through unrestricted core(except a 5" Dynomax, but they don't silence the exhaust much at all). When I added the 2 mufflers my egts went up maybe 75* over strait 5". I have N0 EGT problems at this time.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

The muffler I mentioned above is 5" straight through..
Old 05-15-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bdewey
I have 5" staright-pipe also and love the sound. Not for everybody though. When I added my 6" tip on mine the exhaust tone changed some to a little deeper. It really a sound that you like or you don't. It is hard to get the perfect sound that you want.
i love my 5" straight piped exhaust w/ 6"tip, i was told to get the tip sticking about 1-2" out the side so the tone doesnt drone and reverberate off the ground underneath the truck. its really not even that loud in the cab, but outside is a whole other story, lol.

Quick Reply: Well, I got the 5" strait exhaust is on, now what?