3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Well I did break something tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Well I did break something tonight!

Thought I broke something last week, but was false alarm. But tonight at the track definitely blew something . Don't if was head gasket and freeze plug, just freeze plug or what yet. Let loose water everywhere on the end of run. Water temp jumped to 245 and would not really drop below 210 . No water in the oil visible and was too hot to open radiator tonight. Shut the track down for cleaning .

Afraid to start it again in case water in cylinder so it went by wrecker to Michaels this time. It was 5th run of the night and still went 12.81s @ 106mph, I did not know it happened until turned off the track.

Oh well, if the head has to come off then definitely studs and springs go back on. First time she's been on a wrecker .

Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bro youre running all of that and no studs
Old 09-24-2006, 11:34 PM

Dang man! I hope she's alright.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:53 PM

Sorry about the truck. The powerwagon wheels look good though.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 AM

Well, that sucks.

I guess i know what I'm doing this week. It's probably not going to be my tranny either.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:14 AM

Ya! I thought I was the only one here with the PW wheels!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Ya! I thought I was the only one here with the PW wheels!!!
Put the Power Wagon wheels and tires on Saturday. About time for new tires and was considering going from 315s to 285s. Buddy at 4wheelparts told me he had a new Power Wagon coming in for lift, wheels and tires. After a little bartering, paid $550 for the set, tires have about 5k on them. Also removed the leveling kit and switched the blocks under rear springs to level it out at stock height. It looks pretty good, but I feel small now .
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the head is coming off might as well have it o-ringed.

MikeyB
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM

RamWheelsBy4, Sounds like a freezeplug. JeffK blew his freeze plugs along with many others. I am just putting my engine back together after a headgasket, full valve, guide, seal, replacement, new exhaust seats, full port and polish, AND I drilled the brass pin holes out in my thermostat. This is suppose to keep the freeze plugs from popping out. Hope you get it back on the road quickly....and yes you need headstuds. I hope your gasket is still ok....no white smoke in exhaust. ks
Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Lots of timing + boost = POP
Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Lots of timing + boost = POP
It's for sure worth it for the fun 12 seconds everytime to go down the track tho... I'm sure it will get fixed and go right back out there like my truck did... Except I'm doing it again I had some bad luck of my own last night. I think it's time to tame the ole thing down and go to my original plan of putting a common rail in a 2wd single cab 2nd gen for the racer...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

Head studs and getting that thing o-ringed will certainly ease your mind with that boost gauge comes on around.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 AM
wap

Sorry to hear about the brake but if followin your posts has tought me anything its that not only will it go back together and get down the track but it will prolly be more reliable and faster to boot.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
RamWheelsBy4, Sounds like a freezeplug. JeffK blew his freeze plugs along with many others. I am just putting my engine back together after a headgasket, full valve, guide, seal, replacement, new exhaust seats, full port and polish, AND I drilled the brass pin holes out in my thermostat. This is suppose to keep the freeze plugs from popping out. Hope you get it back on the road quickly....and yes you need headstuds. I hope your gasket is still ok....no white smoke in exhaust. ks
It does appear the be the fun rear block plug. I remember seeing posts about the freeze plugs, but did not realize how many were reporting it with performance stacks.

Well the studs should be here Wednesday, now to see when Michael can get time to get to it. Very busy getting trucks ready for the DHRA event in Houston in October. Hope mine is done and I have time to dial in a good stack. Well when you push things to the limit something has got to give. Just part of the racing bug . But I expect to be back on the track as soon as possible.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 PM

RamWheels

You remember my tale on my Flex Plate? Same deal Bro. I knew that was my weak link and the studs were yours. We just have to learn to listen to that little voice . Take the positive approach and it's really just an opportunity to excel and now you can do it right. Good luck and glad your truck isn't really hurt.

Quick Reply: Well I did break something tonight!