3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Water Wetter for Coolant Temp Decrease?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are right CBRAHS, the only reason temp should drop under the same condition, is if you are runnin a gutted or non-existant thermostat. plus its better on them if you run them a little hotter, just dont get carried away.

BTW- sidetrack: cbrahs, I drove through NM yesterday by way of 40, and I want to know how you survive in such a desolate place? with the exception of Albucantspelltherestofit, I think I saw about 15 houses that were still inhabitted by humans and they were all crowded around a factory. Ide hate to have to take that stretch with less than 30gal of fuel.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed a bunch of replies talking about the Redline Water Wetter, is that the regular or diesel version?

Also, how do you go about adding the stuff and what quantity? Do you add it to the overflow? When adding it do you remove an equal amount of antifreeze?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember adding two bottles of the regular. Poured into the radiator after sucking some of the coolant out.

MikeyB
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
D45

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I remember adding two bottles of the regular. Poured into the radiator after sucking some of the coolant out.

MikeyB
I used two bottles of the DEI Diesel product.

I also just siphoned some coolant out of the radiator.

On a side note, how long is the coolant good for in these trucks (ie, when is a radiator drain or coolant flush required)?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HOAT is 100K miles.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Has anybody tried NPG+ by evens cooling??? I was thinking of tring it. I have a bottle of Puple ice in my garge would need to get another bottle to use it.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evan's Cooling

That stuff is supposed to be the real deal - best performing but $$$$$$
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM

yea I know, it's $$$ but if it is worth it in the long run, the only reason for the major $$ is the amount, 7 gals to replace the whole system.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 AM

I thought about running the Redline WW.... I like the idea, but I chose plain old oem approved Zerex G-05 instead. I'm not interested in changing the chemistry in my cooling system. I want it to stay the way it came from the factory- with regular coolant changes of course.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
D45

I drained out some coolant and added two bottles of DEI's Diesel Radiator Relief last week.

I noticed NO decrease in overal operating temps.

Bottom line, I would just save your money and not recommend at coolant additives.

I think if your truck is running warm or hot, then a coolant flush may be needed, but nothing more........
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 PM
wap

Originally Posted by D45

I drained out some coolant and added two bottles of DEI's Diesel Radiator Relief last week.

I noticed NO decrease in overal operating temps.

Bottom line, I would just save your money and not recommend at coolant additives.

I think if your truck is running warm or hot, then a coolant flush may be needed, but nothing more........

Do you have an aftermarket temp guage?

Not trying to be "smart" or argue, but our factory temp guages arent very accurate, I think they are more like a dummy light. I believe you didnt see a decrease and I dont know if these things work or not, but I think to know for sure one should use an accurate temp guage and not the factory.

Now, if you do have a better guage than the one your truck came with then you did just prove that the stuff did not work.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM
D45

Originally Posted by wap
Do you have an aftermarket temp guage?

Not trying to be "smart" or argue, but our factory temp guages arent very accurate, I think they are more like a dummy light. I believe you didnt see a decrease and I dont know if these things work or not, but I think to know for sure one should use an accurate temp guage and not the factory.

Now, if you do have a better guage than the one your truck came with then you did just prove that the stuff did not work.

I agree with you......the only guage monitoring system I have is the stock guages and my Quad Commander, which does monitor coolant temps.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
wap

Originally Posted by D45
I agree with you......the only guage monitoring system I have is the stock guages and my Quad Commander, which does monitor coolant temps.
Well there ya go, I guess you did find out that it doesnt work. I dont know much about the quad commander but if it measures actual coolant temps then you got the info you needed.

Sorry it didnt work for ya but I believe your findings will be valuable to other users.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM
D45

Originally Posted by wap
Well there ya go, I guess you did find out that it doesnt work. I dont know much about the quad commander but if it measures actual coolant temps then you got the info you needed.

Sorry it didnt work for ya but I believe your findings will be valuable to other users.
It's no big deal, since Summit sent me a $30 coupon with a $100 purchase....so the two bottles were like $12 each.

I drove the truck in 60 degree weather and 90 degree weather.

I noted the coolant temps before I installed the DEI and it did not change, even 1 degree.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 PM

You shouldn't notice a temp reduction under normal driving, after all the thermostat is still set for the same temp. If it helps, it would be when you are pulling a steep hill with a heavy load, I've never had it overheat either way, so not too many people will ever find out if it works or not. Those that have the 91's and older with the smaller radiators should be able to tell you if it works or not since they need all the help they can get cooling wise with heavy loads.

Quick Reply: Water Wetter for Coolant Temp Decrease?