3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Waste gate actuator mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Waste gate actuator mod

Well guys I've finally tested my waste gate actuator mod. It definately gives you more low end power

I first tried just putting a clamp on the hose from the solenoid to the waste gate actuator head. That helped a little on the low end. So when I had about 40min to kill one morning. I crawled under the truck to adjust the waste gate linkage. After a little putzin', I figured out that the linkage was pinned in place. So I went to get into the garage to get a couple of washers to put between the waste gate head & the turbo housing.

The two nuts that hold the waste gate head to the turbo housing are M6. Using the 10mm socket to remove those, take off the E-clip that holds the linkage to the waste gate, pry a little bit with a standard screw drive at the waste gate & linkage to remove. Pull the waste gate head far enough out of the way to put 1-1/4" washer between the waste gate head & housing on each of the two waste gate head studs. Put it back together. The only trick is to get the linkage back onto the waste gate. I used a pry bar to carefully put it on the waste gate linkage on the waste gate. I had a small magnet to holding the waste gate in the closed position to make my life easier. The part that took me the longest was trying to find one of the M6 flange nuts that I dropped. After 15mins of not being able to find it, I just put one on for the time being & got another one from work the next day.

The butt dyno feels like about another 50hp on the low end. It definately spools very nice now, almost instant. EGTs are 75-125* cooler as long as your foot isn't to the floor. Full throttle (well up to 3rd gear) it was about 100* hotter. Which I expected since this is the stock turbo (9cm hot side). You definately need less throttle to maintain speed. I'm still working on the MPG #s, but I estimated that on the freeway it's about 1-2mpg better. My normal driving verys alot. So its tough to compare for the city. Since I do small engine repair on the side my city driving varies & same with whats in back of the truck. I'm guessing that it's either the same as before or maybe +0.5mpgs.

Either way still more power & no lose in MPGs! I'll take that any day!

Happy wrenchin' guyz!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:13 AM

so what kind of opening do you get ?i have my turbo set for 20 thou of opening at actuation.i have thought about an aftermarket actuator similar to banks.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 AM

I'm getting it to open around 35-36#s. If you have a HE351 (found on 4.5+ Gen 3s) Banks doesn't make one for our trucks. Or anybody that I know of. Since these trucks are electrocally controlled, they will make a electronic boost controller instead of a mechanical.

If you fill out your signiture, we can help you a little better.