3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Washed motor - truck wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qzilla
You might check the ECM. I have a friend that had a stock truck 04.5 and he did the same thing you are talking about. He unscrewed his ECM connectors and water came out of them. He let it dry only to find the ECM was fried.

It may not be your RP sensor? I am not sure exactly how to troubleshoot this because it could be a lot of things, I guess anything on the 5v reference could be shorted out as well?

Here is what I know about the rail pressure connection.

Look at the plug that goes onto the rail pressure sensor from our wiring harness. Compare it and the numbers on it to the connector on the factory wiring harness and tell me the difference. There is no difference. They are identical right down to the markings, pins inside and the seals around the wire. Why would our factory Bosch connector be different than Dodge's factory Bosch connector?

Now, Edge, TS, Banks or anyone else that has a box uses this same plug, same pin, same seal.

I don't think there are a lot of people hosing down their engines to start with and second I think more people complain about us because I come on the forums and take the beatings for some reason. You don't see the above mentioned companies doing that so I assume if someone else has a problem they call them direct and leave it at that?
I guess I'll know if a little bit if its my RP sensor.

Yes, I noticed that your male plugs look identical - I think its on the female side that they seem to have a little different config - yes, they are plugs not sensors - but I noticed that mine has a notch on the backside that doesnt interface with anything on the male factory connector and appears to be a potential route for moisture.

You may be partially correct about being a sucker for punishment!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm really disappointed in all of you for not saying anything about my stupid comment!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I'm really disappointed in all of you for not saying anything about my stupid comment!!!!!
Here ya go.....

So, drum roll.....It's ALIVE!!!! Honestly, I was almost scared to turn the key after I put the new sensor in. I was already trying to figure out if I needed to rent a motor home for Friday, or if the wifes 'Rover could tow a trailer big enough for us for ten days!

I noticed so far that with the new sensor, rail pressure now fluctuates between the high 600's and mid 700's at idle, before it was 770-820.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thought you had a brain fart......so I just let it go.

MikeyB
Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 PM

I do have plenty of those MikeyB......
JTheissen, Glad to hear she's running again. If it's running fine and has the same amount of power then I would actually be happy to see lower rail pressures....
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM

i caught that lol

even had thought of adding something like...water should not be sprayed on hot spark plugs. it would cause them to crack. plus rough idling and hard starting
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

I had a pack rat eat some insulation on my water in fuel sensor harness and went through a drive-through wash only to come the other end with a water in fuel light and rough running truck. Sealed it up and go through with no problems now.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Same deal washed the engine very carefully and now has the same problem. I am also running the Quad X2. Looking for a fuel sensor.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Well, you heard it in this post already - dont buy it at Dodge unless you gots some real deep pockets.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JThiessen
Well, you heard it in this post already - dont buy it at Dodge unless you gots some real deep pockets.
I read in another thread with a part number they were able to only pay $95 from Cummins. You don't have the part number do you?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Sorry - I dont have it anymore. If you would have asked a week ago, the box was still sitting on my freezer in the garage - but I cleaned it off last week to put a TV in there.....
They must have had an employee discount or something. It was just over 200 for mine.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by highrpms
I read in another thread with a part number they were able to only pay $95 from Cummins. You don't have the part number do you?
Link scroll down to the bottom of the page.