3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Warrenty issues, everyone please read this!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warrenty issues, everyone please read this!

There has been many threads on this subject and many opinions. Here are the facts about non OEM parts and warrenty. Any dealer will try to avoid warrenty work because they have to put the money up front to fix the problems and then go back and try to get the money from the mother company, Chrysler, Ford, Chev etc. The Magnuson-Moss Act protects consumers from fraudulent warrenty issues from dealers, it clearly states that you are covered by warrenty with aftermarket parts unless

1. the warrenty you signed states that any non OEM part will void the general warrenty, (read what you sign)
2. the aftermarket part was DIRECTLY repsonsible for the problem. for example, there is a case where a turbo was damaged by an aftermarket air filter that was not maintained and pieces were found in the turbo. that is your problem. if you have a programmer and a u-joint breaks, NOT your problem because there is no way to tell that the programmer was DIRECTLY responsible, could be weak u-joints as dodge was bad for.

My trucks have all the aftermarket parts left in them all the time, i have never had a problem with my dealer, and if your dealer tells you any different i would find a new dealer.

i hope this clears up some questions.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 PM

My relationship with the dealer ended in oct 17, 2004 (date of purchase).
He doesnt call, write, nothin. I signed a mental warranty myself that says in the bold letters that I modify at my own risk and expense. End of story.

The way it should be usually.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

HA, tell that to Atascosa Dodge that voided my engine warranty because of gauges.

I agree if you play you pay, but some things just blow my mind.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tristan21 is right on-did the same thing. i cut the dealer loose, as soon as i drove off of the lot! i find the time and make the time to do my own maintenance-this way- i know it is done right the first time- no headaches,etc,etc. when i replace a part on my truck, i use the best after market part available-the dodge dealer does not do that!!.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

I agree. Front and rear diff. seal replacement, transmission shift solenoid not including parts came out to $210.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:48 PM

I totally agree. I dont trust anyone but myself to do the work on my truck. That way if I mess something up, I can only be mad at myself not anyone else. Besides I know I can do better work anyway. You know you will take better care of something if it is yours than if it is someone you dont even know. especially if the guy working on your truck has had a long day and its friday afternoon, he just wants to hit beer thirty. Along with everyone else. Like it was said before I dont even try to hide my mods if they dont want to do anything with it then Oh well, another customer lost for them.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah right. Who has more money, YOU or DODGE? Who has in house Legal departments, YOU or DODGE? A superintendent I work with has a stock I repeat stock truck and had to pay over $2K to the dealership while he paid a Lawyer about the same to fight his case when he lost an injector and CP3. They said bad fuel and won. Another guy I know had only intake an exhaust and warranty was no good when his motor went due to the intake an exhaust. They said too much air flow= overspooled turbo and too much boost= dropped valve= destroyed motor...

I dont think it is wise to change ANYTHING on your truck if you want your warranty!!!!!!! So if I was in the least bit concerned with warranty, I would at the Magnuson-Moss Act and realize its not worth the paper its printed on. When a Dealer say no to your face and black lists your truck do you have the money for a lawyer. Cause I bet Dodge has more and guess what in the end its all about money.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
My relationship with the dealer ended in oct 17, 2004 (date of purchase).
He doesnt call, write, nothin. I signed a mental warranty myself that says in the bold letters that I modify at my own risk and expense. End of story.

The way it should be usually.
X3!!! on that... The only thing they've done was drool when I opened the hood... You know how hard it is to get drool off of twin piping!!! LOL... Actually they had to re-place my thermostat sensor but did it practically for free just to drive the truck!!! I did tell them you break it you fix it though!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Basic steps to a repair at the dealer:
1. Determine problem area
2. Locate aftermarket equipment
3. Think of ways to make aftermarket equipment THE problem
4. Get approval from supervisor Dan who has all of next week off, remove "faulty aftermarket equipment"
5. Install high-priced original part
6. Call owner and tell him his/her truck is ready and reffer to Dan if you need assistance.

Common Sence aint so common, so dont expect Dan to have any.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Its certainly NOT because of the dealer waiting to get paid for warranty work if done correctly.Tickets are suppose to be down loaded DAILY and if all is normal which 99% are the money is in the dealer account within 24 hours.Plus dealers are ADVANCED moneys based on their previous adverages! The OLD days when by mail and paper it could take a while but that was almost two decades ago.Only weird claims get red flagged and kick to be eaither corrected for wrong op codes/parts billed out or needing District Rep approval.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Yeah right. Who has more money, YOU or DODGE? Who has in house Legal departments, YOU or DODGE? A superintendent I work with has a stock I repeat stock truck and had to pay over $2K to the dealership while he paid a Lawyer about the same to fight his case when he lost an injector and CP3. They said bad fuel and won. Another guy I know had only intake an exhaust and warranty was no good when his motor went due to the intake an exhaust. They said too much air flow= overspooled turbo and too much boost= dropped valve= destroyed motor...

I dont think it is wise to change ANYTHING on your truck if you want your warranty!!!!!!! So if I was in the least bit concerned with warranty, I would at the Magnuson-Moss Act and realize its not worth the paper its printed on. When a Dealer say no to your face and black lists your truck do you have the money for a lawyer. Cause I bet Dodge has more and guess what in the end its all about money.
In a case of bad fuel,your comprehensive insurance should cover the damage. Your insurance will try and recoup their costs.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:45 PM

My local dealer has always been good to me....but I leave money there...I have time to mod my truck but not to do routine stuff that they do every day...They did 5 hours of work on my truck before this road trip and the labor bill was 220 ...that is cheaper than my time... plus they always give me parts warranties no questions but they also know me and they know I know where they live. Benefits of a reputation in a small town. KS
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM

my local dealer does a good bit of work for me,they have installed a few different sets of injects and run multiple drb test to check on thigs i wanted data for,but i pay them,told em the engine and trany were mine but i wanted warranty on the rest of the truck....
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 AM

ok guys relax, i was just posting some info to try and help. everyone has had a bad situation at a dealer or knows someone who has. i did too, that is why i switched dealers and i too like doing most of the work to my truck myself, but there is things i can not do or don't have the tools for. i also have a problem with parts that should be under warrenty but are not because i put in guages. that is just stupid, my dealer replaced every u-joint in my 04 because they were known to be weak, there was no question about the edge, exhaust or anything else, so i will repeat myself, if you don't like or trust your dealer, find a new one.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

Being the son/employee/part owner of a dealership (not Dodge)(not yet at least) Its pretty good to know that I can allways have my warranty no matter what I do to my truck.

If you have freinds or are VERY good to your dealer, they will hook you up whenever they want, but so many times customers treat Employees like dicks whenever they go into for work/purchasing.

Dont get me wrong tho, there are TOO MANY dealers that are shady and just down right retarded. But dont go around allways assuming everyone at every dealership is stupid and all they try to do is screw you, cuz it makes people like myself, my father, and my brother frusterated about being in the business.

We take great pride in knowing that in 31 years of being in business at the same location, we have never not once been sued by a customer or an employee. We are a smaller dealership here on the Monterey Peninsula, and we have one of the best service departments in all of Northern California, let alone all of CA.
Im dont. Sorry, I just want yall to know not all are bad here, a nd if you treat your dealer nice, and not allways so defensive about everything.

Go GGGGGGGGGGGG-men!

www.larrymenke.com
nmenke@larrymenke.com