3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Warranty stress over gauges? Probe locations...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Warranty stress over gauges? Probe locations...

Anyone have their dealer give them stress over where you put your pyrometer and tranny probes?

I bought a heavier trailer and finally decided to go with gauges. I thought I'd go post-turbo on the EGT just incase my turbo ever went south I wouldn't have to fight it out with the dealer over warranty coverage. Ditto for the trans, thought I'd put it in the test port instead of drilling the pan. I realize neither of these locations are optimal for valid readouts, but if either of these items go south (which is a very real possibility with a 47RE) I want my warranty intact, that's 1/2 the reason I picked Dodge over a dirtymax.

(Please spare me the talk about the mangusson-whatever act...I've decided that only works if you or your brother-in-law is a lawyer.)
Old 04-03-2006, 12:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the dealer.

Pan isn't the ideal location for the trans temp, hot line out to the cooler is.

You could always stop by the dealer you would have your warranty work done at and shoot some questions their way?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Depends on the dealer.

Pan isn't the ideal location for the trans temp, hot line out to the cooler is.

You could always stop by the dealer you would have your warranty work done at and shoot some questions their way?

oooo..tell me more about the hot line? Is there a fitting you have to buy (or are we talking about the same thing- test port)?

My dealer is a couple of hours away, and they're huge, so it would depend on who answers the phone what kind of answer I'd get...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwooden
(Please spare me the talk about the mangusson-whatever act...I've decided that only works if you or your brother-in-law is a lawyer.)
That made me laugh, because I see a lot of guys reference that act, and I think the same thing that you stated. Kinda silly, unless you have the time, patience, and money for an attorney for litigation, it won't work.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See here buddy:https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...rans+line+port

I have yet to get my trans temp gauge, so I can only go on what I read.

As far as the dealer, it's pretty much up to each individual and what your comfortable with. My 5 year Cummins warranty was up in January, so I'm pretty much on my own like a lot of guys here.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:53 PM

I called a dealer here (Schaefer & Strohminger Dodge Bel Air) and they said they don't void warranties for gauges only. Boxes yes.

Bob
Old 04-03-2006, 02:07 PM

I've spoken to a DC regional rep about this.
Ironically... just HAVING the gauges raised his suspicion that I had (and removed) a box and he talked about voiding me. In the end he didn't and I got him to say that the gauge alone should not impact warranty. ymmv.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:09 PM

So, what's the point of having a law we can't use? If they don't have to abide by that act then why do we have to abide by their warrenty rules?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
So, what's the point of having a law we can't use? If they don't have to abide by that act then why do we have to abide by their warrenty rules?

Yes, I agree. There are many laws out there that are useless unless you can afford a lawyer.

As for the install: I just called a smaller dealer in the area and got the service manager squirmin'. He didn't like my question. After I pressed him some he replied something like: "Honestly, that's never been a problem. The only trouble we've had with these trucks and their warranties was the result of heavy abuse".

That made me feel a little better, so I installed the pyro PRE-TURBO over lunch, works great!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oooo..tell me more about the hot line? Is there a fitting you have to buy (or are we talking about the same thing- test port)?

My dealer is a couple of hours away, and they're huge, so it would depend on who answers the phone what kind of answer I'd get...

Here is a picture of my replacement line from massdiesel.com with the sensor installed. It is an exact OE replacement with t-fitting for the sensor. Very simple install.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dieselmanor.com also offers the hot line. I got mine from massdiesel.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think the real answer about guages voiding warranty would be "that depends".

Most of the time I don't think they care, but I can understand not going on record saying that gauges don't void warranty...

If they did, someone would come in wanting warranty with a tranmission burned up because the probe backed out and dropped the oil, or a turbo that has a big curley cue drill chip lodged agaist the housing.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I asked a service manager about gauges and the warranty. He said no problem with the gauges, but did mentioned if the tip of the pyro came off and wipes out the turbo it wouldn't be covered.

MikeyB
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM

My dealer didn't say anything about the gauges. I had them check the fuel pressure and some other things. The gauges are for peace of mind and to prevent problems before they occure. Just mention the fact that dodge has had problems with their trannys and lift pumps .
Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
...if the tip of the pyro came off and wipes out the turbo it wouldn't be covered.

MikeyB

Thanks for all your responses guys.

Anyone actually heard/experienced a pyro tip melting/breaking off and taking out the turbo? I know it sounds possible, but has it ever happened that you guys know of?