3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Warranty or No Warranty... that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranty or No Warranty... that is the question

I just need to vent alittle bit here...

All I hear lately is what programmer is better, who makes more power, and what about warranty?

Alot of the talk is between the Smarty and the Diablosport programmers. I do not care which one you pick. I have no dog in that fight. Lets just say each programmer can give you 200+ horsepower, which is outstanding. But I keep on hearing those say, "get the Smarty, cannot be detected by dealer". Fine. I am sick of hearing it, but fine.
My point is, if you are going to use ANYWHERE near the capabilities of these programmers (200+hp), then you are going to need aftermarket intake leading to a larger turbo, exiting to a larger, freer flowing exhaust. You will also need more fuel so that means a better fuel pump (Walbro or FASS). Then a clutch or trans-converter. What makes you guys think the dealer is not going to delete your warranty for those items? Get my meaning here? It does not matter if the dealer can see this or find that, once you play, give it up (the warranty stuff). Come on, let us have SOME honesty here. I would not take in my truck for warranty work and the only thing I have broken is my cd-player. Enough is enough... Those who have been around long enough know what I mean. This is for the new guys looking to buy a programmer or whatever. The mods to your truck to support any programmer on the higher levels will remove your warranty, so lets not mince words about something being detectable or not. It really doesnt matter.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 AM

I just need to vent alittle bit here...

All I hear lately is what programmer is better, who makes more power, and what about warranty?

Alot of the talk is between the Smarty and the Diablosport programmers. I do not care which one you pick. I have no dog in that fight. Lets just say each programmer can give you 200+ horsepower, which is outstanding. But I keep on hearing those say, "get the Smarty, cannot be detected by dealer". Fine. I am sick of hearing it, but fine.
My point is, if you are going to use ANYWHERE near the capabilities of these programmers (200+hp), then you are going to need aftermarket intake leading to a larger turbo, exiting to a larger, freer flowing exhaust. You will also need more fuel so that means a better fuel pump (Walbro or FASS). Then a clutch or trans-converter. What makes you guys think the dealer is not going to delete your warranty for those items? Get my meaning here? It does not matter if the dealer can see this or find that, once you play, give it up (the warranty stuff). Come on, let us have SOME honesty here. I would not take in my truck for warranty work and the only thing I have broken is my cd-player. Enough is enough... Those who have been around long enough know what I mean. This is for the new guys looking to buy a programmer or whatever. The mods to your truck to support any programmer on the higher levels will remove your warranty, so lets not mince words about something being detectable or not. It really doesnt matter.
And that, as harsh as it sounds is the fundamental truth that many are not willing to accept, a few agree to it, an all of us pay for it.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM

If I put a chip/programmer on my truck and the CP3 leaked again...yes I would expect DC to cover it as I know that a chip/programmer would not cause a CP3 to leak......but if I put a MP8 on and blew my injectors out ..no I would not expect warranty work.

even with a chip/programmer on a truck some stuff should still be covered...thats why I would look for some thing "undetectable"

My .02
Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
If I put a chip/programmer on my truck and the CP3 leaked again...yes I would expect DC to cover it as I know that a chip/programmer would not cause a CP3 to leak......but if I put a MP8 on and blew my injectors out ..no I would not expect warranty work.

even with a chip/programmer on a truck some stuff should still be covered...thats why I would look for some thing "undetectable"

My .02
Bingo!

If my A/C goes out should it not be covered under warranty just because I have a built tranny and programmer?

What about all the dealers who sell new trucks with programmers/boxes already on them and still warranty them? What about the dealers who flat-out don't care if you come in with a programmer or module? Aren't these guys just as much (or more) at fault than a single customer with a programmer who tries to get something repaired under warranty? I don't see anyone coming down on them...quite the opposite actually.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM

And I understand all of that. It really will be the willingness of your particular dealer to do any work, modded or not. That was not my point. My point is, performance mods and engine work for engine problems, not an A/C compressor or something going south. Some guys want "undetectable" programmers and my point is, to utilize something that powerful, you need so many other expensive and power making/supporting mods that you will have no engine warranty, so why bother to try?
This big shiny turbo under my hood, and the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, and aftermarket intake are dead giveaways. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I AM MY OWN WARRANTY STATION.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
Some guys want "undetectable" programmers and my point is, to utilize something that powerful, you need so many other expensive and power making/supporting mods that you will have no engine warranty, so why bother to try?
While I agree 100% with the fundamental point you've made, I don't agree that the above is true for everyone. The power is adjustable. Just because you and I don't have the self control to leave it at 30hp or 60hp doesn't mean others won't. The lower settings don't require additional mods, especially if you don't abuse the truck. If someone wants their truck undetectable when taking it in for a new steering box under warranty, so be it.

Personally, I don't really care what other people do with their trucks. It's their decision to make and they have to live with it. Like you, I've chosen to toss the powertrain warranty out the window and I'm OK with paying to play. If it becomes a big enough problem for DC I'm sure they can and will do something about it. The place to start would be the "cool" dealers though, and I think if it bothers you that much it's only fair to blame them as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
wah

they wont void your warranty for exhaust and air intake as long as you dont mess with the sensors and cat. and also alot of people only use programmers for smoke or mpg. not everyone wants a 700hp truck so the programmer questions and warranty questions are perfectly acceptable in my book and plus no question is a dumb question. not everyone is a diesel expert as you sound you are
Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Well I agree totally with trik396. I don't expect warranty on anything that I might have caused to happen and saying that I did not run it hard on higher settings, therefore that performance mod is not what caused my drive train or engine problem is ludicrous at best.

I had my water pump replaced under warranty at 60,000+ miles. All my mods were on and have been when I go to the dealer. If they had denied warranty I would not have argued. They have denied suspension warranty work because of lift kit, after market shocks and oversized tires and honestly they are what caused the problem.

If you want to have your warranty 100% then do not mod the truck. It is as simple as that as far as I am concerned. Must be at least 50 WARNINGs in the owners manual about VOIDS Warranty for just about anything on the truck inside and out.

If you choose to add mods, especially performance enhancements, then don't expect warranty to cover problems. You may get lucky and you may not depending on the dealer service department. But don't complain when it happens. Sorry about the RANT!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

If your mods directly cause a malfuntion then the waranty is not legally liable to fix your problem.

If your truck is bombed out and your A/C goes out or CD player breaks then it is still covered.. If your injectors break then you need to pay.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
Well I agree totally with trik396. I don't expect warranty on anything that I might have caused to happen and saying that I did not run it hard on higher settings, therefore that performance mod is not what caused my drive train or engine problem is ludicrous at best.

If you want to have your warranty 100% then do not mod the truck. It is as simple as that as far as I am concerned. Must be at least 50 WARNINGs in the owners manual about VOIDS Warranty for just about anything on the truck inside and out.

If you choose to add mods, especially performance enhancements, then don't expect warranty to cover problems. You may get lucky and you may not depending on the dealer service department. But don't complain when it happens. Sorry about the RANT!

Amen! Almost any person that says they have the self control to not hit a higher level on their box when it is available is a LIAR. Even if just for a few minutes we have all tried the highest level "just to see". All these situations should be treated just like insurance fraud! If you go to the dealer expecting warranty after making mods it should be fraud, and should be able to be prosectued. Maybe I'm going to extremes but what will it take to get some people to understand.

53willys said.....

Raising the pressure that the CP3 runs at won't cause undue and extra stress? What do yo think a downloader does? Do you have a rail pressure guage? The rail runs higher pressure and that comes from the CP3. I agree on things like a/c , body, and interior and minor things to be able to be warratied provided nothing was altered on the system to put on any mods , but anything drivetrain related should be null and void as far as warranty. My opinion is worth what it cost.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
Amen! Almost any person that says they have the self control to not hit a higher level on their box when it is available is a LIAR. Even if just for a few minutes we have all tried the highest level "just to see". All these situations should be treated just like insurance fraud! If you go to the dealer expecting warranty after making mods it should be fraud, and should be able to be prosectued. Maybe I'm going to extremes but what will it take to get some people to understand.

53willys said.....

Raising the pressure that the CP3 runs at won't cause undue and extra stress? What do yo think a downloader does? Do you have a rail pressure guage? The rail runs higher pressure and that comes from the CP3. I agree on things like a/c , body, and interior and minor things to be able to be warratied provided nothing was altered on the system to put on any mods , but anything drivetrain related should be null and void as far as warranty. My opinion is worth what it cost.
I don't even have a chip/programmer nor do I have rail gauge... But I do know what they do...and causing the CP3 to leak is not one of them...my trucks CP3 leaked when I bought it....it is a known problem that is why I brought it up....if a truck had a box/programmer on it and the CP3 leaked I still think it should be covered..if the cp3 stopped working I would upgrade
I'm not trying to screw anybody over just get the warranty work I deserve/paid for.

I'm done in here...
Later
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

amen trik396.

when my ECM died, lots of people asked "why wasn't it under warranty?" The answer is "You pay to play."

Some people do not understand this concept. Granted I have had steering wheels, sun visors, and speakers replaced under warranty, but that has nothing to do with my mods. Infact, my dealer loves to see my truck. They can't wait to see whats under the hood!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
53willys- I wasn't trying to badger you or anything. Just making a point. I would have to say that running higher pressures in the CP3 would help it leak quicker. I know they are known for leaking, but like anything else the x-tra strain won't help.