3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Warranty Denied...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Denied... Forever

So, I have now been restricted on any warranty related issues on my truck because of The Outlook being plugged into the Data port. Anyone have similiar issues? My dealership is fine with it. Just happened that Detroit engineers were at shop when my truck was towed in, they are not okay with it and are saying Outlook is causing the problem. Anyone have warranty work denied because of electronic gauges before?

Edited by self...
I am not trying to start the "You Play you Pay" Saga. Just asking if anyone has had issues like this occur and what kind of outcomes they had. I know the M&M Law and have seen many cases on it.

Just trying to see if it makes sense to people that because the Outlook defuels through the Data port that DC can and should automatically deny warranty?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:17 AM

i blew the turbo in my truck and they wouldnt wrty it because af a boost elbow
Old 05-14-2005, 12:22 AM

Crashcade,

Instances like yours is what have kept me from getting a programmer/box yet....am VERY tempted though. I CRAVE MORE POWER!

I do have one question though about your exhaust.(sorry off the topic) Is the 6" really loud, I mean much louder than the 5", and do you notice any significant benefits such as lower egt's, quicker spooling, etc?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a bummer. I use their Outlook Monitor as well and have talked to them a lot on how it works. The sad part is, this is a classic case of ignorance. Your "Detroit engineers" don't have a clue what they are talking about. What’s worse, it is totally up to you to prove it to them, even though it is suppose to be the other way around and they are suppose to have to prove your mod caused the problem. This is how they get you though….you would have to go get a lawyer to fight it and most people just won’t go through that and they know it.

Bully Dog has told me on several occasions that the Outlook does nothing but receive information via the data port and displays it for you….speed, rail pressure, engine temp, etc.. It only uses two channels and can only read, not write or "send info back". It's defueling feature is 100% controlled via the MAP (boost sensor) connection. It simply takes the boost signal that it receives and returns a very low boost value, which causes the ECM to cut fuel as there is no air present to burn it. Very simple and crude approach, but it works well.

If you want to at least try to change their mind, you might start by trying to get a name and number for the "Detroit engineer" that made that decision. Then, call up Bully Dog's technical support and explain what happened and ask them to call this "Detroit engineer" and explain to him/her how the Outlook works. The "Detroit engineer" will then be educated on the product and clearly see that the data port connection is harmless. BullyDog won’t have a problem doing that for you if you can get the engineer's contact info……might actually work and would be minimal effort on your part.

What was the problem with your truck to start with?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you need to fight DC over this one. I need to read up more the CANbus but without the CCD- or CCD+ the computer doesn't even know the Outlook is there. Outlook just intercepts the data that's being broadcasted over the CANbus.

MikeyB
Old 05-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

DC tried to blame my lift pump going out on my fuel pressure gauge. Remember that they can not void all of your warranty because of the outlook. If the radio dies or a door handle breaks, it's not the outlooks fault.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Remember that they can not void all of your warranty because of the outlook. If the radio dies or a door handle breaks, it's not the outlooks fault.
This is very true. A manufacture has to be able to prove that a modification effecting the warranty item before they can deny the claim. If you install bigger tires they can void your axle and tranny warranty but if your heater stops working it has absolutely nothing to do with the tires....
Old 05-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Well they told me that my warranty work now has to be approved no matter what it is by the District manager. I really cannot comment on the problem until I have a total solution to it. I just got the info on the outlook to my local DC corp office and hopefully will get to the right guy at DC. I had all of my front seals replaced in my tranny about 4k miles ago and now the problem that occurred is around the T/C seals.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That really sucks. It sounds like you actually had a pretty good dealer that was using some common sense....then the darn DC rep showed up with his assumptions and ruined your day. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:16 PM

Well, the dealership was in the process of getting things ordered and it just happened that there were about a dozen reps from local DC and detroit at the dealership and 3 engineers happened to walk by my truck and see the exhaust and stopped to look. Pulled Service history and restricted everything until further notice. I am supposed to hear next week from Detroit... Prob a lawyer not a DC rep. No one will talk to me until they get all there ducks in a row. That is the part that has me steamed. My truck is sitting there and even if they do decide after reviewing everything to fix it then I am without my truck for about two weeks after decision. I guess it is even above my District Managers head at this point. She won't even call me.

What is his name... Murphy?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:28 PM

When I blew my turbo on my excursion (barked it to many times) I took my chip out and left my gauges in and they didnt say a word..The ford engineers from Dallas were even in town...
Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 PM

Well, still no word from anyone at DC. So I guess it is time to go to local DC corporate and find my District manger or her boss and find out what is going on. Thought they would be on top of this. The dealership has called me a couple of times today to see if I had heard anything. I guess they are not getting answers either.