3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Warranties!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranties!?!

Can anyone tell me what you can put on your truck that wont effect the warranty. The dodge dealership is basically saying you cant do anything. Help please.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 PM

cold air intake and depending on the year if you leave the cat on you should be ok

and also what i hear the smarty will work with no trace
Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

I was told by a local dealer only a cat-back system which makes sense cause it's not gonna hurt a thing. No gauges, no CAI...etc.

It all depends on the dealer though. You might try another one but to tell you the truth, if you're concerned about your warranty you shouldn't touch it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Electronice Guages are a no no if you touch a sensor on that motor they will flip out. Dialog guages are okay but they will give the dealer that little extra to go ahead and check ecm really good for traces of any kind of programing. Cold Air intakes are okay but i have been told by the dealer that if they are even considered to have been a cause or a link to the problem then no warranty and the same goes fo the cat back. P.S. If you aint got a cat and go to trade it in knock 1k off the price they quote you. Inline boxes suck as Dr. Performance, Diablo Puck, SP Diesel, EZ, TST, MP-8, Juice, Quadzilla etc all are okay as long as you take them off before you take the vehicle in and make sure that you get any traces of velcro or hand prints off the motor any suspision will b/c room for further investigation by star and they will do anything to weasle out of working on stuff under warranty and let me tell you why a tech say makes $19 hr working under warranty but if it isnt double that and that is what they make!!!! O and always check after your truck map and rail sensors for super glue after you leave the dealer true story!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:00 PM

what does super glue on the MAP and rail sensor tell you? Is that to make it hard to get them off so you can't put the gauges back on?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Super glue is the dealer thinking you had something on your truck and wanting to really **** you off b/c if you go back and ask them about it they know and if you dont good luck getting them off without breaking the connectors.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 PM

I hope this helps. I got it off of www.theduallystop.com.

CAN AN AUTOMOTIVE DEALERSHIP VOID YOUR WARRANTY?

NEARLY EVERYONE HAS HEARD ABOUT SOMEONE WHO HAS TAKEN A VEHICLE THAT HAS BEEN MODIFIED WITH AFTERMARKET PARTS TO A DEALER FOR WARRANTY SERVICE, ONLY TO HAVE THE DEALER REFUSE TO COVER THE DEFECTIVE ITEMS. THE DEALER USUALLY STATES THAT BECAUSE OF THE AFTERMARKET PARTS THE WARRANTY IS VOID, WITHOUT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE AFTERMARKET PART CAUSED THE PROBLEM.

THIS IS ILLEGAL.

VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VOID THE VEHICLE WARRANTY JUST BECAUSE AFTERMARKET PARTS ARE ON THE VEHICLE. TO BETTER UNDERSTAND THIS PROBLEM IT IS BEST TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO TYPES OF NEW CAR WARRANTIES AND THE TWO TYPES OF EMISSION WARRANTIES.

WHEN A VEHICLE IS PURCHASED NEW THE OWNER IS PROTECTED AGAINST FAULTS THAT MAY OCCUR BY AN EXPRESSED WARRANTY - AN OFFER BY THE MANUFACTURER TO ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROBLEMS WITH PREDETERMINED PARTS DURING A STATED PERIOD OF TIME. BEYOND THE EXPRESSED WARRANTY, THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER IS OFTEN HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR FURTHER IMPLIED WARRANTIES. THESE STATE THAT A MANUFACTURED PRODUCT SHOULD MEET CERTAIN STANDARDS. HOWEVER, IN BOTH CASES, THE MERE PRESENCE OF AFTERMARKET PARTS DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY.

THERE ARE ALSO TWO EMISSION WARRANTIES (DEFECT AND PERFORMANCE) REQUIRED UNDER THE CLEAN AIR ACT. THE DEFECT WARRANTY REQUIRES THE MANUFACTURER TO PRODUCE A VEHICLE WHICH, AT THE TIME OF SALE , IS FREE OF DEFECTS THAT WOULD CAUSE IT TO NOT MEET THE REQUIRED EMISSION LEVELS FOR ITS USEFUL LIFE AS DEFINED IN THE LAW. THE PERFORMANCE WARRANTY IMPLIES A VEHICLE MUST MAINTAIN CERTAIN LEVELS OF EMISSION PERFORMANCE OVER ITS USEFUL LIFE. IF THE VEHICLE FAILS TO MEET THE PERFORMANCE WARRANTY REQUIREMENTS, THE MANUFACTURER MUST MAKE REPAIRS AT NO COST TO THE OWNER, EVEN IF AN AFTERMARKET PART IS DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR A WARRANTY CLAIM, THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER CANNOT VOID THE PERFORMANCE WARRANTY. THIS PROTECTION IS THE RESULT OF A PARTS SELF-CERTIFICATION PROGRAM DEVELOPED BY THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA) AND THE SPECIALTY EQUIPMENT MARKET ASSOCIATION (SEMA).

IN CASES WHERE SUCH A FAILED AFTERMARKET PART IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A WARRANTY CLAIM, THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER MUST ARRANGE A SETTLEMENT WITH THE PART MANUFACTURER, BUT BY LAW THE NEW-VEHICLE WARRANTY IS NOT VOIDED.

OVERALL, THE LAWS GOVERNING WARRANTIES ARE VERY CLEAR. THE ONLY TIME A NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY CAN BE VOIDED IS IF AN AFTERMARKET PART HAS BEEN INSTALLED AND IT CAN BE PROVEN THAT IT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR AN EMISSION WARRANTY CLAIM. HOWEVER, A VEHICLE MANUFACTURER OR DEALERSHIP CANNOT VOID A WARRANTY SIMPLY BECAUSE AN AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON A VEHICLE.

IF A DEALERSHIP DENIES A WARRANTY CLAIM AND YOU THINK THE CLAIM FALLS UNDER THE RULES EXPLAINED ABOVE CONCERNING THE CLEAN AIR ACT (SUCH AS EMISSION PART FAILURE), OBTAIN A WRITTEN EXPLANATION OF THE DEALER'S REFUSAL. THEN FOLLOW THE STEPS OUTLINED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. HOWEVER IF THIS FAILS, THEN PHONE YOUR COMPLAINT IN TO THE EPA AT 202-233-9040 OR 202-326-9100.

IF A DEALER DENIES A WARRANTY CLAIM INVOLVING AN IMPLIED OR EXPRESSED NEW CAR WARRANTY AND YOU WOULD LIKE HELP, PHONE THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) AT 202-326-3128
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM

yea i pulled the federal laws on new vehical warrintes and read the same deal that unless they can prove your part failed due to a aftermarket part then they have to honor the warrintie. Dodge told my wife we would have to pay for the ac to be fixed blend door prob in the megas due to the silver 62 turbo so she pulled up the fed site took it back put it in the service managers faced and asked how a turbo could affect the ac? The truck was done the same day.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM

What about a tranny that now is slipping and barely will go into gear????
Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

How's your dealer as far as mods? With the downloader, they'll see the lack of key cycles and know you ran a programmer. Most dealers are going to call BS if you want them to replace a transmission after your mods smoked it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by CTDinMT
How's your dealer as far as mods? With the downloader, they'll see the lack of key cycles and know you ran a programmer. Most dealers are going to call BS if you want them to replace a transmission after your mods smoked it.

i just talked to the guy and he said they would warranty it, it only has 50 000 km on it. he figured it was the clutch pack. id just half to pay a 100$ deductable. but now you have me worried
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Right now Im dealing with alot of BS from the dealers. All this warranty stuff is BS.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 PM

This dealership i deal with has alot of ****** up people working there. They replaced my t-case on my 02 truck 4 times in 1.5 months, and i didnt even use my 4 wheel drive. so im hoping that they over look my tranny prob.