3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Wanting a safe 450hp! From '03HO

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting a safe 450hp! From '03HO

Ok I'm a newbie to the site, but not to the technologies. However I do have a few Q's. First off I'm looking to make 450rwp out of my '03 HO. Right now, I'm running Edge Juice w/monitor-stacked w/bdpp. Everything stock except 4" exhaust, Airraid intake. I haven't been able to dyno with the combo yet, cause I just got the Edge 2 weeks ago. I did dyno with just the bdpp and got 376rwp up from a stock 264. Will this combo make what I want? Is the fuel delivery adequet? I also need to know what is the safe limit of boost for the stock turbo. Edge sent the monitor pre-programed @36lb. I spool up to that so quick I was always defueling. I reset the safety piont to 40lb and that helped a lot very seldom see that pressure, I still have the warning set at 35 so I can back off if I need too. Is this safe???? I have never reached my egt limiter of 1450* except when both are on the extreme setting. The funny thing is that regardless of what setting I have the bdpp set at (1,2, or 3), if I have the Edge @5 My 1/4mi. times are always 14.8-15.0et. But I can definately feel the difference in the g-forces applied to my a**. This happens regardless of the many different ways I try to launch. Is my tranny to blame? If so that will get fixxed within the next week, cause I'm getting a stage2 rebuild w/ a performance tc from Dunrite.

Pleeeease help
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Chapter President

Come on there has to be someone out there who can help. Is there any issues I might face that I haven't adressed yet??????? I would really like some feedback, cause playing test rat with this stuff can get expensive. If anyone out there is making the kind of power I'm looking for please chime in, all oppinions and suggestions will be considered.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:08 AM

i think that with the 2 you have stacked, you will be real close if not there at your number you wanted to reach. the boost sems a little high in readings for a stock turbo, mine never seems to get over 33lbs, and i have the bbdl, and a quad box stacked, but not for long.
i ran the bbdl first, and only that with exhaust and air intake,had my truck at the track and it ran a 14.8 1/4 mile run in 4wd.so what your running seems a little on the slow side. i would think that you either need to improve on your launch, or remove some wieght etc.
i will be removing one of those boxes for something different, because they don't stack well.i am no expert at all on this stuff, just playing around, but i have hear people talking their stock turbo can handle up to 40lbs of boost, but won't last at that rate.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:51 AM

Just observing here, with a 2wd you're going to have a heck of a time getting all that to the ground, these trucks are super light in the rear. You may try adding some weight in the rear for better traction, see if that helps any.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:39 AM

pullin hard-

I am running my BDDL stacked with the Quad Tow box. I found it runs great with the BDDL on 90 and the Quad box on 50. What kind of problems have you seen with yours?

-Muzzy
Old 10-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Chapter President

I usually run the bdpp on level 1 and adjust the Edge at will,on all levels, for daily driving. This combo seems to work best together(no downside detected yet). If I run the bdpp on lev-2, the only thing I have noticed is that the throttle seems a little touchy, the turbo spools up faster, and the cruise is erratic but manageable (great for stop and go traffic and playing around w/rice burners at stoplights). I have only run the two both on the extreme settings once, and only to test the 1/4 mile times. What I can say is that the throttle response was AWSOME!!!. Because of that(regardless of what setting the Edge is at) the cruise would be unusable, and in everyday driving impractical, unless you do a lot of street racing.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 PM

I've been running the tripledog on extreme and just this weekend I stacked the edge EZ. I don't have the guts to move the EZ to level 4, but I've put a couple hundred miles on it on level 3. I don't know what the rwhp is but it goes like stink since I put the EZ on. It's 99% well mannered, even with the cruise on. The only goofy issue, and I think it's something wrong with my EZ, is that the fuel pressure surges at idle with the EZ. It did the same with just the EZ and no BDDL. It's just a weird little sound it makes. GOES LIKE STINK! I'm sure the stock turbo isn't far behind.

Andy
Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Chapter President

Can anyone elaberate on how the stock injectors will hold up to the mods I have. I never plan on going any higher than 450hp, cause the general consensus seems to say thats were durability goes downhill. If anyone has an older modified diesel w/ many miles please feel free to sign in I would like to know the long term durability of the 5.9ISB@this power level.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:08 PM

streetsmoker-

I believe there are a couple things that are key to long injector life. The first is to keep the rail pressure a close to stock values as possible. There were a couple of threads a while back where I think it was Don M showing the results of prolonged use of pressure boxes on injectors. Granted, Bosch has tested HPCR system to just over 29000 PSI, but I doubt they would endorse their injection system for the life of the ISBe at that pressure. I run a pressure box stacked with my BDPP much like many of the members, but turning it on now and then to smoke someone versus leaving it on all the time is a big difference. Use pressure to get your few minutes of fun in and then switch is off for daily driving.

The second thing is to keep your fuel clean. Any particles of sediment in your fuel will act like an abrasive blaster on your injectors, especially at 20K+ PSI. Get fuel at high turnover fuel stops and look to make sure their pump filters are changed regularly. If their pump filter looks as old as the rest of the pump, then I would move on to some other station. Making sure your fuel filter is changes regularly also can't hurt. I change mine every 8K-10K miles.

The last thing I have come to accept is the old saying "If you play you will pay". Horsepower always costs somewhere. With the modding I have done, I don't expect to get the 350K overhaul interval out of my Cummins. I am just twisted enough to like to wrench on them almost as much as I like driving'em .

-Muzzy
Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Chapter President

Muzzy that was a very well thought out and intelligent post, without a whole lot of suspisions and scare tactics. I rock-crawl a Jeep Cherokee all the time, and believe me I know how to make something last as long as you stay out of the throttle. Playing around just to see how much it takes to break something is ok for some, but it's not my cup of tea. I like to play, then show people how I'm able to drive back home at the end of the day, regardless of what I'm doing in whatever vehicle I drive.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM

i find the 2 boxes don't stack well together, i think they are both pressure boxes which is no good. i will be doing some thing different, just not sure which direction i will go. i love both boxes,and i really like being able to switch on the fly with the Quad race box, but the BBDL seems a little more aggresive, which i like.
with the 2 boxes stacked, it was real sluggish down low, until the boost picked up, which seemed to take forever. and i didn't get that thick black cloud of smoke i was hoping for.that right there scared me into not running the 2 boxes until i looked into them a bit further. some here had told me that they don't mix , so i haven't run the 2 since.
i think turbo boost was up to 35lbs, which is the max it has ever been at, and thats stock turbo.
i agree with maybe adding some kind of wieght over your rear axle to hook up better, but that is something you will have to play with, along with tire pressures.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Chapter President

It was my understanding that the bdpp is only timing and duration. So far, I havent had any major problems of any kind. Only the few minor ones mentioned in my earlier post. I do know that I got their v.2.1 which had been updated from an earlier version.