3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Want to increase mileage. What box is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to increase mileage. What box is best?

I have an 04' 2500 with the Cummins HO. It is stock except that I have done the Rokk tech timing sensor and now want even better mileage. I don't tow too heavy, about 5k, but tow every week. My power seems adequet for what I tow. I would like better mileage while towing and normal commuting. What box would be the best for mileage and not degrade my reliability? I was thinking of three different ones, the Edge EZ, the QuadZilla Xzillaraider XZT, or the Workhorse?????? Need a hand with this decision.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:58 PM

Of the boxes you listed I would most likely pick the Quad XZT. I haven't personally used it but have a friend at work with one on his '04 and he likes it alot.

The reason I like the XZT over the EZ is that you are interested in better economy AND staying reliable.

The XZT uses Timing in it's power scheme which helps the mileage quite a bit.

The EZ uses pressure only. Not likely to increase mileage.

Get the XZT!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:43 PM

Performance box

What about the van Aaken? Any suggestions also would be appreciated. I am guessing what is referred to as a tow box would be appropriate.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Be aware that not everybody actually sees a mileage increase w/ the addition of a fueling box no matter what the mfr says. You may even see a decrease but you won't care because of the extra power though...
My truck always loses mileage with a box. I've tried the EZ, Quad race, and now tha Van Aaken... I haven't really checked the VA box because it's brand new but I should be able to tell you in a week or so...
Old 11-12-2005, 05:53 PM

Do a little research with rokk tec about the boxes because you are already advancing injection timing with the aftermarket sensor.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:34 PM

Performance box

I have thought about that about the Rokk Tech sensor and the already advanced timing issue. I could revert back to stock if necessary. I have heard of pressure boxes. Not exactly sure how they work, but beleive they do not advance the timing.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Chapter President

Hawg Lip

I ran the Edze Ez on my 03 for about a year and picked up 1 1/2 to 2 additional MPG depending on how I drove the truck.

HUMP
Old 11-13-2005, 02:27 PM

Van Aaken???

Dodgezilla,

How do you like the VA C3.2, so far? In your signature, it looks like you have it stacked with the Quad Race box. Have you tried the VA box, alone?

The reason for all the VA questions is that I just purchased one and am eagerly waiting it's arrival.

BTW, I've had two sources say that the VA-C3.2 (duration, only) along with the Tone Ring Mod or Rocktek Timing Sensor makes a great combination. One of those sources was Van Aaken, themselves.

Thanks for your help.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert

The EZ uses pressure only. Not likely to increase mileage.

Get the XZT!
i would have to disagree, on the higher settings it does alot of pressure. but it does not do pressure only. Yes I would consider it a pressure box. But it does do some timing. and i saw a little increase in mileage.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 PM

hey hump how do you like the BD power pup??
Old 11-13-2005, 04:24 PM

If you put a box on you're not going to gain any measurable mileage. People like to think they do for some reason but I just don't believe it. I think adding a box makes a person change the way they drive, and they end up calculating MPG by hand and compare to what the [sometimes inaccurate] OEM readout on the truck said before the box. It's all BS imho.

Andy
Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Chapter President

drew03

It's awesome . Way better than the Edge Ez as far as power is concerned. I am currently running it in the "performance" setting and haven't seen any issues with the EGT's as of yet. Nice puff of smoke in between gears as well . Still haven't run the "extreme" mode but I am going to try it out real soon.

HUMP
Old 11-13-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Bully Dog Power Pup...it gained me a solid 2 MPG. I tested this out by driving with and with out it on two separate occasions with the same driving speed and road.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:24 PM

I ran the Edze Ez on my 03 for about a year and picked up 1 1/2 to 2 additional MPG depending on how I drove the t

I am planning on running the EZ on the lowest setting(app. 40 HP gain). I pull a 5'th wheel- 8000 pounds loaded. Do I need to install an egt meter??
Old 11-13-2005, 08:33 PM

i just turned mine down to 40. no smoke at all. same mpg as the 70 hp setting

Quick Reply: Want to increase mileage. What box is best?