3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Want an in bed aux fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running a transfer tank in a SWB? I noticed there isn't a whole lot of room between the front of the bed and the wheel wells. Any tanks that will fit? I prefer a tranfer tank to a aux. tank-Steve
Old 05-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
The installation of my tank is about 20-1/2" from the front bed wall to the back of the tank. This leaves about 18" before hitting the fender well. How much shorter is your bed and is it all in front of the wheels? There are other configurations of tanks out there - - slim line with no tool box - - quite a bit less bed space taken up with them.

What is the difference between a "tranfer tank" (should I assume you mean "transfer"?) and an "aux tank?"
Old 05-31-2004, 09:45 AM

I went with the Aero tank in my truck, it has two transfer valves on the floor under the driver's seat. The tank level is read on the same fuel guage as the main tank by flipping a taggo switch. Some people don't want to be bothered turning a valve to switch tanks but in my set, up if i were to have my main tank punctured I could swith tanks with the turn of the valve instead of having all the fuel from both tanks ending up on the ground. What's the chance of getting a hole in my main tank? Probably won't happen, but if it did I'm prepared
Old 05-31-2004, 10:31 AM

Fiver- Yeah, sorry... TRANSFER (can't type!) I measure from the front wall of the bed to where the wheel well starts as 18". So I guess I'll need a smaller tank. -Steve
Old 05-31-2004, 12:06 PM

has anyone seen the aux tanks that run lengthwise over the wheel wells?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:11 PM

CTDinMt, I just put a TransferFlow 70 gal in my '04 SWB on Friday. It goes about 1.5 inches past the front edge of the rear wheel well. I lost 20 inches of bed, measured at the top of the bed. Mine was installed at TransferFlows shop in Chico, CA. Hope that helps.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by ppod
CTDinMt, I just put a TransferFlow 70 gal in my '04 SWB on Friday. It goes about 1.5 inches past the front edge of the rear wheel well. I lost 20 inches of bed, measured at the top of the bed. Mine was installed at TransferFlows shop in Chico, CA. Hope that helps.
Thanks! I was starting to worry if I had screwed up getting the SB. -Steve
Old 06-21-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the RDS 51 gal tank/tool combo as pictured on the last page, although I got mine powdercoated black from RDS. I installed mine gravity feed like fiverbob, however instead of removing, drilling, tapping, and installing a fitting in the filler neck, I just used a T and spliced into the 3/4" ID overflow tube. I also installed a 2 micron Racor filter in line between the aux and main tank for some extra filtration. Works like a charm. Thanks fiverbob for showing me your setup!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:26 PM

You is welcome, Lightman. And thanks for the idea of the filter - - I am still noodling that one. Wonder what the stock filter is rated?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:58 AM

Fleetguard FS19579 10 microns @ 98.7% efficiency.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Chillimau
Fleetguard FS19579 10 microns @ 98.7% efficiency.
YUK!!!

Is there another filter that will fit that is approved that will do better?

I just changed my fuel filter today - - it looked quite good for having 11K of fuel running through it. I am pretty fussy about where I buy. Also cleaned my Scotty COOOOOOLAIR filter. Now that was dirty - - full of love bugs. I hate those things.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Good day gents! I heard of a site called the Tour Budy -- auxillary tanks for trucks, ATV's and Snowmobiles. I don't have any affiliation, but the product seems good. Up to 4 tanks that fit your front and/or rear sidewall areas, over the wheel wells. Gives up to 44 gallons of extra fuel, i think. Might do the trick for SWB or those who want to retain the full length of their bed. My own $0.02 worth.

I am new here, have read hundreds of tips and posts, and am very happy to be a member. I truly love my CTD!
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 PM

About ready to order my tank finally, but now I have an 01... anyone know if this'll work?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
YUK!!!

Is there another filter that will fit that is approved that will do better?

I just changed my fuel filter today - - it looked quite good for having 11K of fuel running through it. I am pretty fussy about where I buy. Also cleaned my Scotty COOOOOOLAIR filter. Now that was dirty - - full of love bugs. I hate those things.
Bob, if the factory fleetguard filter actually performed anywhere near that efficiency , you should be jumping for joy.However I believe the stratapore filter we all use on our trucks is only about 70-75% efficient at 10 microns. I believe it's 98+% efficient at 30 microns. Whatever it's rated as, I guarantee it isn't as efficient as they say it is.

Bob I can't believe you haven't put that filter in yet. With our particular aux tank setups, it's a no brainer, I don't see any downsides. Easy thin sheet metal right there to mount it to, and it flows well with the gravity. It may have a slightly slower fill than without a filter, but at 20gph, it still flows a lot faster than the truck can burn it.

NJ, I'm sure it will work the same.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:23 PM

Hey lightman, where did you get that filter?

Quick Reply: Want an in bed aux fuel tank.