3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

want '03 injectors - ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want '03 injectors - ???'s

Okay, I really wanna get some injectors for my '03 SO Cummins, but don't know which kind and how to go about it. Can someone please show me the way!?

I hear all good things about Don M, but don't know what EDM's are or Flux injectors or Stage whatever are. I'm looking for something in the power range of less than 100 ponies...maybe like a 40 hp or 60 hp...something like that. Something that's proven and really works well with my year and model of Cummins engine.

The engine mods I've done have been an AFE intake system, 4" exhaust with open muffler and an EZ. I'd like to either eliminate the EZ or just set it at it's lowest level.

I don't tow anything more than a 12' flat bed trailer with a couple of 4-wheelers during hunting season and then a 16' bass boat. All that doesn't take a lot of HP to get going - it's all pretty light stuff. So the rest of my time is spent going back and forth to work (yuck) - about 60 mi round trip. So I want power - passing power and getting on the highway power. Like I said, I'd like injectors that would give me about 40-60 hp.

I live in Weatherford, TX - just a skip west of Fort Worth. So where do I go for these injectors? I'm not a mechanic, so I wouldn't feel safe taking mine out and replacing them myself. Can I go somewhere where someone can do this for me or is it more easy to do than I think?

So once the factory injectors are removed, then what? Do they have to be sent in to get the ones I want? So there's a down time of something like 3-4 days - right? Can I not buy new ones and keep my factory injectors? I'm sure if I could, that would cost more.

I'm not looking to spend a ton either....something less than $1,000 bucks is prefered.

Any and all help would be very welcome!

Thanks all,
Brian
Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 PM

I've been looking at KAX injectors for a while. 79hp/120 tq
The way I hear it, you get the advertised power, better milage, and EGTs are lower. Cost is under 1K, however there is a core charge.

www.kaxmotorsports.com
Old 04-27-2005, 06:54 AM

DTT Stage 3 100hp Injectors coolest improvement I have done!
The rest of stages are a waste of money and beleive it or not my MPH went up 1-2 MPH when I keep my foot out of the turbo!

http://www.dieseltrans.com

Ask for Stefan he can give you the best info on them.
And they say they are dyno'd at 100 +
One thing EGT's on mine went up 200 time for sledpuller 66 turbo
and psi spools way to fast poor little turbo I think is going to fly out of case!

It is so much fun to invest money in truck then bank account!

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:03 AM

I have to say that I find it hard to believe that you are getting better fuel economy by putting in injectors that supply more fuel.

I know for a fact that a set of injectors that provide 10% more flow will make your overhead fuel economy calculation off by 2+mpg.

Whatever it takes to justify the expenditure though.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:47 AM

Get a hold of Don M. The Flux Injectors are the ones to get IMO. He is in texas too.

http://www.f1diesel.com/injectorsecho.html
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by bigblock2stroke
I have to say that I find it hard to believe that you are getting better fuel economy by putting in injectors that supply more fuel.

I know for a fact that a set of injectors that provide 10% more flow will make your overhead fuel economy calculation off by 2+mpg.

Whatever it takes to justify the expenditure though.
Injectors have nothing to do with MPG calc that is done though rpm/speed
and you don't get 10% more fuel unless you got your foot to the floor!
Engines don't idle with more fuel.
All I know is my MPG went from 10.5 to 13.5 city driving even better at 45 to 55 mph at 17-19 MPG and the gas gauge has been proving it.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM

"Injectors have nothing to do with MPG calc that is done though rpm/speed
and you don't get 10% more fuel unless you got your foot to the floor!
Engines don't idle with more fuel."

I completely disagree. Do you really believe what you typed? How about some other opinions?

What do you think they are doing to the injectors to get 100hp? Hello?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:23 PM

The injector is a metering fuel device just cause holes on tips are bigger does not allow fuel to flow more freely. My truck drives the sameway as if it was stock you put the padel to the metal then you know something up. and sure my MPG goes down then.
All in all I drive like a old man unless some old man gets in front of me now he will have soot all down the side of car!

If you go to kaxinjector site on other thread it sayes better fuel Eco.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:38 PM

I may be way off base here, but I'll throw out my dos pesos...

It's my understanding that in addition to a slightly increased fuel flow rate, the aftermarket injectors offer better fuel delivery/atomization. This increases combustion efficiency, thus power. So in effect, you're getting more work from the same amount of fuel, thereby increasing MPG. Of course with a higher flow rate you are getting more fuel, but with better delivery you are getting more power from every drop, so the motor is working more effeciently. I think (again, I'm no expert) that is where the mileage claims come from???
Old 04-27-2005, 03:07 PM

I think with a timing/duration box you should go with F1diesel.com 's flux injectors

If you go with a pressure/timing box like Quadzilla - Go for the Dieseldynamics - I just put a set of stage 2 nozzles in a customers truck,

Pretty easy- easier that I thought, Nozzles do not have a core charges either

AND are cost effective - like under 7 bills
Old 04-27-2005, 04:11 PM

I thought the Xzlillaraider was a pressure, timing, and duration box?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Berak
I thought the Xzlillaraider was a pressure, timing, and duration box?
WEll...... Yes and no...

yes in that it does have a longer duration than a stock truck
No in that it does not stretch is NEAR what the Juice or TST does - I other words it does not hook to the injector harnesses, So all the duration is via MAP value fooling

So, again, Yes (a little), and no (not enough to be considered a "duration" box) IMO
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 AM

So is the timing advance done discreetly or is it also just a side affect of the higher pressure??
Old 04-28-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Berak
So is the timing advance done discreetly or is it also just a side affect of the higher pressure??
If I understand correctly, the timing and pressure are controlled directly by the box. The increase in duration is a by-product (intended, I'm sure) of the MAP sensor manipulation.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM

"The injector is a metering fuel device just cause holes on tips are bigger does not allow fuel to flow more freely."

Again, I completely disagree. For a given pressure, if you increase the size of the hole, the flowrate will increase.

It is a metering device and the amount of fuel is based upon injector "on time" how long is the injector held open to allow fuel to go in the cylinder. If you open it for a given amount of time, the bigger hole will let in more fuel.

So Bosch spends millions of dollars developing injector tips/spray angles/etc. and someone gets more efficient combustion from simply making the holes bigger? I'm not buying it. something else is going on here.

Also, duration is how long the injector is held open. The timing of the start of the injection process is how you can improve fuel economy and power (with the result of higher emissions). However, you have to define whether its the start of the pilot injection or one of the main injection events. You also have to take into account the crank angle inbetween the start of each event. Very complicated stuff.

someone comes along and opens the holes up a little and all of a sudden you have more efficient combustion?

I'm just not buying it.

Quick Reply: want '03 injectors - ???'s