3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walrbo pump/in-tank lift pump removal..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, It is illegal to use a FASS pickup with a Walbro. Anywho the Fass pick up is just a threaded piece of black iron pipe with two nuts on it to hold the pickup end about 3/4 inch off the bottom of the tank. On the threaded end of the black Iron pipe you put a 90 with a push lock thread in to the 90 degree. Return line goes to the filler overflow tap in. Done. ks
Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 AM

Exclamation Hey, where are you at on this project?

What did you guys work out on this. Did you remove your intank lift pump?
I went a different route. I added a 1/2" pickup just forward of the intank module. I plan on leaving the intank pump for a back up. I will just unplug the thing and let it wait as a spare to my add on lift pump. I have some good pics of the intank module and of my own pickup tube. It sounds like I would like mine better than what fass is using........ ? If anyone wants to see what I have done so far; just let me know.

I am looking for the wiring plug that will replace the plug molded into the top of the intank module. If anyone has an idea of where else they use these, I would really appreciate any info or ideas you can pass my way.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-08-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW... this is an oldie but a goodie. I did my install (pics on another site) and it's been working perfectly for 10,000 miles so far. And I left the stock in tank pump so I could have a backup in case I needed it.
I also added a pre-Walbro filter (85micron) and a post stock filter (2 micron). Still seeing 18-20psi at the cp3...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Only thing I dont like about the extra pick up is that its not in the basket so you get low on fuel or incline the fuel will run away from the pick up starve the pump so what is the fix? use a 03 04 pick up is there a basket for the pick up? just asking I know its not good to run low on fuel but at times towing you cant find Diesel unless you live in TX. I am thinking about removing the intank pump and trying to get the pickup tube in the basket some how and hope the check valve in the bottom of the basket can keep up or put a few small holes in the bottom of the basket. Ideas?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 AM

I agree the pickup isn't in the lowest portion of the tank, but it only sits about 3/16" from the bottom. I notice when I get down to the last 7 or 8 gallons, that I start to suck some air because my pressure guage will fluctuate more (below 10psi). But since I did this along with the fuel vent mod, I can get 37 gallons, so mileage till I fill isn't affected, I just make sure to fill up at just under a quarter tank. Never had any driveability issues at all. Never ran outta fuel, and if I did somehow manage to run that pump dry, I could as last resort, throw the relay back in and have the stock pump pickup (literally) where the other left off...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:34 AM

Marine grade Diesle fuel line.

Go to a boat shop and buy the marine grade diesel fuel line. Its twice as thick and easier to work with when your putting all the fittng together in the Walbro kit. Its not cheap I think a I paided $2.69 a foot but that its well worth it. I know a guy who works on a lot of plow truck up here in the north east and he was replacing fuel line about every 4-5 yrs on the same trucs then he switched to the marine grade fuel line and he has had any problem with the truck since.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
trik396:

Boy, this is an "oldie thread!" Seeing "Superduty's" name threw me off for a minute there! Especially after how you and I argued with him back then about fuel pumps.

I was wondering how that Walbro was working for you?? A friend of mine just installed the "Glacier Fuel System" with that Walbro 392 and seems to like it. How has yours held up?

Take care "trik!"

-------
John_P
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM

I know.... it threw me off when I first saw it... AHHhhh the good ole days...

So far, so good... as far as the Walbro is concerned. I'm coming up on 10,000 worry free miles. Absolute consistent pressures and reliability. Hope I get another 90k outta this little pump that could...

Matter of fact, I've yet to hear of one failing yet.... Maybe I shouldn't have said that.....
Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 AM

The way the stock fuel pump keeps from sucking air is easy. It pulls off the bottom of the tank and 50% of the fuel goes to the motor and 50% goes back into the yellow bucket the fuel pump is in. Once the fuel is below this, the excess fuel is put into the yellow bucket. Say you hit a hill and the pump dosent pull any fuel from the tank, it sucks up all the extra fuel that's in the yellow bucket (I use yellow bucket as the pick up at the bottom of the tank) That's why they don't get slosh. I've been thinking of ways to get it to work like stock (have the bypass in tank) but it would be a pain, and also you woudl loose the other tank. I only have issues when I start and stop and I'm under 1/4 tank more like 1/8 of a tank. But then again if your on a high way at crusing speed I'm sure you wouldn't ahve any issue (plus the air will bleed off at the pressure regulator.

My easy fix would be to get like an oil accumulator. Plumb the fuel line into the top (about 1" below the top), have the outlet to the motor on the bottom and have the pressure regulator come off the top. That way your always supplying fuel to the motor, and anytime you get air in the system it would bleed out automatically when you idle, or it bleeds pressure

I agree it would be nice to have it set up like the factory unit. One way would be to put the Walbro in the tank, with the pressure regulator above it, spilling fuel into the yellow container. Either way i can deal with the fuel slosh cause if I'm going to sled pull or drag race or soemthing where it's an issue, keep it full. YOu will only have an issue when your around 1/4 tank. Even at half a tank you won't have the slosh issue.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:04 AM

Does the FASS system have this same issue? I really wanted to add the Walbro but I don't want to loose 1/4 of the capacity of the fuel tank.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:07 AM

I used the FASS in tank pickup for my setup... so that would be the same... you don't lose a 1/4 tank capacity. I've run it down to the last 3 or 4 gals without a problem, just fluctuation in pressures. Glacier diesel uses a different pickup system that alleviates this situation I believe...
Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
trik:

Thanks for the report on your Walbro.

------
John_P