3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro pump died, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoxracer
I had an inline filter in front of mine, I guess not enough then? I pesonally feel that its the motor brushes going out since I was able to tap on it and get it going again.

Dustin
I dunno, was it a filter, or a 50 micron screen?

Or was it one of those little 3/8" in line filters for like non fuel injected vehicles, circa <1980 ?

BTW, Tapping on it can also jar loose debris in the pump gears.

I don't really know, but I do believe all things electrical and/or mechanical are capable of failing.

I've just found in my personal experience the Walbro pump is EXTREMELY reliable.

There's NO WAY I'd go as far off road as I do counting on another pump.

(Of course, because I feel the way I do about electrical and Mechanical devices, I carry a spare.)
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by wildcat
I dunno, was it a filter, or a 50 micron screen?

Or was it one of those little 3/8" in line filters for like non fuel injected vehicles, circa <1980 ?

BTW, Tapping on it can also jar loose debris in the pump gears.

I don't really know, but I do believe all things electrical and/or mechanical are capable of failing.

I've just found in my personal experience the Walbro pump is EXTREMELY reliable.

There's NO WAY I'd go as far off road as I do counting on another pump.

(Of course, because I feel the way I do about electrical and Mechanical devices, I carry a spare.)

It was an in line 3/8" filter, I cut it apart tonight and it does have a filter media in it. It actually looked better than I thought that it'd look.

But anyway not sure what really happened, but earlier in the trip I thought that I did notice it making more noise at times. Either way I was just glad to be able to get it running and make it home!

So what is everybody running for filters before there pumps anyway. I know some that aren't running anything in front of the lift pump.

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 PM

It was an in line 3/8" filter, I cut it apart tonight and it does have a filter media in it. It actually looked better than I thought that it'd look.

But anyway not sure what really happened, but earlier in the trip I thought that I did notice it making more noise at times. Either way I was just glad to be able to get it running and make it home!

So what is everybody running for filters before there pumps anyway. I know some that aren't running anything in front of the lift pump.

Thanks,

Dustin

Doesn't really matter now? You are going with a Raptor, Right? Like I said before, I run a Fram G3727. Pretty common, easy to find, (A plus for some of the places I find myself, which is usually 50 miles or more from nowhere.) It is about a 10 micron filter. I feel comfortable the Walbro can swallow and pass that size particle. (The stock fuel filter will catch what the Walbro happens to pass.)

The G3727 is also large body, so that if some debris gets into it, it doesn't plug up as quick and starve the pump.

I don't think anyone running the Raptor pumps are running a prefilter, or even if it is recommended from the manufacturer.

Richard is a good guy, call him and ask him if he thinks some kind of pre filter might be beneficial.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying your failure was debris related.

I AM saying that all pumps are subject to the same Mechanical and Electrical failures.

That is primarily why I went with the pump and filter setup I did. It's less expensive to carry a spare filter and pump to get me out of a jam, although I haven't needed it yet...

Recently, I put dual Walbros on my truck with a G3727 prefilter. (I know Overkill) I had to pull down the tank, drill for the draw straws, etc.
I've run about 2 tanks of fuel through the filter, and I'm half tempted to swap in my spare filter and cut it apart and post the results.

I'm willing to bet there is already some debris in it from the tank mod, and from the fuel.

I don't think my experience or practice is the exception to the rule, but hey, who makes the rules?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 AM

24 micron strainer

......So what is everybody running for filters before there pumps anyway. I know some that aren't running anything in front of the lift pump.

Thanks,

Dustin
I'm using the Fleetguard FF5079 24 micron strainer that Richard sells on his site before the Walbro pump. After the pump I'm using the water separator/2 micron filter setup then into the stock engine mounted 7 micron fuel filter. Probably overkill but some of the debris I have seen in diesel tanks in South Texas all of this filtration gives me peace of mind.

L8r,...........dogger
Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using an Earl's inline 75mic filter pre Walbro. That feeds in dual CAT 2mics then to a Aeromotive bypass regulator. Then into the stock filter just being used for the heater. The bypass regulator really returns a lot of fuel. I can listen to it if I open my fuel cap. I run at 20psi. I like this setup because my fuel is constantly being cleaned. The returned fuel has been filtered and will get filtered again and again, etc... If that makes any sense to anyone except me...