3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro pump died, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoxracer
I have a small inline filter before the pump, and then I am running the stock filter plus a 2 micron filter just before the CP3. And I messure the fuel pressure coming out of my last filter going into the CP3. (22psi normally)

That is my exact set up too. I have had mine now for over a year and 25k miles without a hiccup. I probably need to buy a spare pump just for insurance and keep it in the truck. With Walbro failures being such a rare event, I really don't see the point in changing out the whole system unless the walbro is not feeding enough fuel. Any pump can fail.

I say replace the one you got and keep a spare. Im sure Richard will get you fixed up.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jwb600
I ran the glacier system for about 25k miles no issues but went with something else to get better filtering. I bet richard will get you fixed up. I talked to him a few times hes easy to talk to

What filters better than 2 microns???

Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an issue with my walbro about a month ago.
It got real noise and started to cut in & out . pressure dropping to 0 when noise stopped.
I thought the pump would be hot , it was not.
I went into the store to food shop & when I came out the problem did not re appear. Hasn't happened since.????????
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM

One of the things I learned a long time ago was to always carry a spare pump at all times, no matter what the system I was running. I currently have a mechanical belt drive, and I always carry a spare belt and a spare electric pump as well. I also always keep the few tools just in case I need to swap it out. Murphy's law says no matter how reliable the setup is, it will go out when you're out on the interstate somewhere!!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by banshee
One of the things I learned a long time ago was to always carry a spare pump at all times, no matter what the system I was running. I currently have a mechanical belt drive, and I always carry a spare belt and a spare electric pump as well. I also always keep the few tools just in case I need to swap it out. Murphy's law says no matter how reliable the setup is, it will go out when you're out on the interstate somewhere!!
Very true... problem is I tend to carry TOO many tools... my wife thinks I'm a goof....
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM

funny,mine died on saturday,think im going raptor this time
Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Snoxracer
Was comming back from about a 800 mile trip tonight and was about 100 miles from home, hammering down the interstate, when all of a sudden DEAD. I pulled over on the interstate, and tried to start it and noticed that my fuel pressure guage reading 0psi. So I checked all the connections, fuse, relay, and all that was good so I got out a big wrench and started tapping on the side of the pump. (Laying under truck, at night with cars going 70+mph just 2-3 feet away is not a good feeling!) So luckly and to my surprise the pump took off! So I was able to get home fine and very thankful for that.

But here is my question now, what should I do so I am not in that position again? Is there a better pump out there, more dependable, I so not even have 8,000 miles on this pump so that is not good. Or should I carry a spare? I had a carter pump on my 2000 with no troubles and 90k miles and still going.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Dustin
Mine went out after only 10K miles. I have switched to an aeromotive that was on my brothers truck for 25K miles, and then a friends for 5K miles...never had a problem and it flows SOME FUEL!!! Nice to only drop 1psi from 32 to 31 at over 700HP
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 AM

Which one died?

Originally Posted by 0lywrench
funny,mine died on saturday,think im going raptor this time
Which one died, your wife or your pump? If it was your wife then you now have the money for another pump. If it was the pump you will probably have to clear it with the secretary of finance (wife).

L8r,.........dogger
Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Mine died in a event simular to yours. I called Richard and he overnighted a new one to me and I also bought a spare just in case. As a result I would have to question weather these pumps are as reliable as claimed. I guess time will tell.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Called Richard today and told him about the pump dying, and he was going to send me out a replacement, I think free of charge. But I told him that I was kind of interested in the Raptor 150, so I ended up going with that pump. I think he gave me a good deal on that pump. I hope that this was a the right choice for me, just hope that it isn't really loud.

Thanks again for everone's replys.

Dustin
Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Compare to a walbro...its loud.

My Walbro lasted 75k before I replaced it...and it is still ticking in another truck.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM

walbro

Originally Posted by cquestad
Compare to a walbro...its loud.

My Walbro lasted 75k before I replaced it...and it is still ticking in another truck.
well thats good news
Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Will it be louder than a FASS or AirDog?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Guys, I'm convinced the secret to the Walbro's longevity is an INPUT filter. I run a large body 10 micron (Fram G3727) on all my pumps, and no trouble so far.

If some of you have already went with another pump, then this post is directed more at those still running Walbros.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by wildcat
Guys, I'm convinced the secret to the Walbro's longevity is an INPUT filter. I run a large body 10 micron (Fram G3727) on all my pumps, and no trouble so far.

If some of you have already went with another pump, then this post is directed more at those still running Walbros.
I had an inline filter in front of mine, I guess not enough then? I pesonally feel that its the motor brushes going out since I was able to tap on it and get it going again.

Dustin

Quick Reply: Walbro pump died, what now?