3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro pump died, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro pump died, what now?

Was comming back from about a 800 mile trip tonight and was about 100 miles from home, hammering down the interstate, when all of a sudden DEAD. I pulled over on the interstate, and tried to start it and noticed that my fuel pressure guage reading 0psi. So I checked all the connections, fuse, relay, and all that was good so I got out a big wrench and started tapping on the side of the pump. (Laying under truck, at night with cars going 70+mph just 2-3 feet away is not a good feeling!) So luckly and to my surprise the pump took off! So I was able to get home fine and very thankful for that.

But here is my question now, what should I do so I am not in that position again? Is there a better pump out there, more dependable, I so not even have 8,000 miles on this pump so that is not good. Or should I carry a spare? I had a carter pump on my 2000 with no troubles and 90k miles and still going.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Dustin
Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 AM

Walbro pump

From what I have heard the Walbro pumps are very reliable; of course if you are stuck that makes little difference. You have a couple of options; either get a spare Walbro pump (somewhere between $100-$120 US) or replace the Walbro with a completely different make of pump.

You mentioned you tapped the pump and it started running so one of two things happened. Either some trash from the tank got trapped in the pump locking up the pump or you have one dead segment on the armature of the motor. Probably the later as a jammed motor would have blown the fuse unless you are using a very large fuse.

I changed my 03 over to the Walbro pump because it is quiet and reliable and have had about 14K trouble free miles. I also carry a spare Walbro pump and if necessary I can change it quickly unless it is extremely bad weather.

L8r,.........dogger
Old 06-01-2008, 06:08 AM

Hmmm, I thought the CP3 would pull fuel through all the aftermarket pumps even if they were dead?!?!?!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:04 AM

Walbro pump

Originally Posted by Snoxracer
Was comming back from about a 800 mile trip tonight and was about 100 miles from home, hammering down the interstate, when all of a sudden DEAD. I pulled over on the interstate, and tried to start it and noticed that my fuel pressure guage reading 0psi. So I checked all the connections, fuse, relay, and all that was good so I got out a big wrench and started tapping on the side of the pump. (Laying under truck, at night with cars going 70+mph just 2-3 feet away is not a good feeling!) So luckly and to my surprise the pump took off! So I was able to get home fine and very thankful for that.

But here is my question now, what should I do so I am not in that position again? Is there a better pump out there, more dependable, I so not even have 8,000 miles on this pump so that is not good. Or should I carry a spare? I had a carter pump on my 2000 with no troubles and 90k miles and still going.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Dustin
1st thing I'd do is trash that pump. That particular pump wouldn't get a second chance to mess with me that far from home. Like many say,.. Walbro is a reliable pump but many guys run (2) Walbro's for volume purposes,.. so you could try that if you want to stick with it as your pump of choice. I use one as my backup pump in case the very scenario you painted would happen with myself.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would buy a replacement Walbro. Also if you haven't already, install a strainer in between the pump and the fuel tank.

MikeyB
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Hey Dustin....

I always kept a second spare pump in my glove box just in case something like thing happen. What I love about the Walbro is that, if plumbed right, it could be changed on the side of the road in 10 minutes.

I replaced mine with a Raptor pump just because I felt I needed more fuel. It's a very nice LP with the regulator built right on to it. It is a bit louder than a Walbro but, I'm willing to bet all pumps are louder than a Walbro.

They have a lifetime warranty on them too Their impeller ( if that's the right term ) is the size of a half dollar and can eat things that a Walbro would seize on up on.

I very happy with my Raptor and after talking to Charile ( the fuel preporator ) I know it's backed by good people !

Dodgezilla : The CP3 will draw fuel but, it won't run worth a crap. It's not able to draw enough to run down the road but, can draw enough to keep the truck running at idle.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your signature says that you have the "Glacier" system. Call them on Monday, explain what happened, and you will have a new pump at your door my mid-week. Richard sees almost no failures of these and carries the warranty himself. Easy fix.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I would buy a replacement Walbro. Also if you haven't already, install a strainer in between the pump and the fuel tank.

MikeyB
I have a small inline filter before the pump, and then I am running the stock filter plus a 2 micron filter just before the CP3. And I messure the fuel pressure coming out of my last filter going into the CP3. (22psi normally)
Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by AK RAM
Your signature says that you have the "Glacier" system. Call them on Monday, explain what happened, and you will have a new pump at your door my mid-week. Richard sees almost no failures of these and carries the warranty himself. Easy fix.

Yeah I'm not worried about that, Richard is an awesome guy, I have always enjoyed talking with him, and I know he is a stand up guy.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=tritont;2101262]Hey Dustin....

I always kept a second spare pump in my glove box just in case something like thing happen. What I love about the Walbro is that, if plumbed right, it could be changed on the side of the road in 10 minutes.

I replaced mine with a Raptor pump just because I felt I needed more fuel. It's a very nice LP with the regulator built right on to it. It is a bit louder than a Walbro but, I'm willing to bet all pumps are louder than a Walbro.

Ty,

I thought about doing the samething, keeping a spare on hand, I was just glad (and lucky) that I was able to tap on it and get it going.

Once I got home I started looking at the pumps out there and the raptor kind of caught my eye, because I don't need the filters with my set up. Now that you are running the raptor, you don't have to run the return line to the filler neck now, is that correct? Because the raptor is internally regulated?

Thanks again guys for the replys!

Dustin
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

that is correct. No need for a pre filter or return line. I agree Richard is good people and will likely replace your pump but.... our set ups are very close to the same... you even have twins so, you might want to think about more pump. I was able to draw the Walbro down to zero when I towed my boat. This was going up a very long hill but, it was the first time I ever saw that. I can't move the psi on the Raptor though.

You may have seen the other picture of the Walbro set up I had. It was a quick swap and the Raptor is mounted in the exact same location. A lot less fittings involved too

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got almost 40k on my Walbro... knocking on wood...
I do carry a spare in my truck. They are so inexpensive it's a no brainer. I do run a 75mic pre pump filter, then a few 2 mics into the stocker. My setup is custom with a bypass regulator but I NEVER see below 20psi. Ever...
The Raptor looks like a nice piece...
Old 06-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Ty,

What pressure are you running your pump at now with the duel fuelers?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

12psi anymore than that and it doesn't run very well. I tried going to 20 and even 30psi. I've never heard it spit and sputter so bad ! Duals don't like a lot of psi.... the PPE duals anyway.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 AM

I ran the glacier system for about 25k miles no issues but went with something else to get better filtering. I bet richard will get you fixed up. I talked to him a few times hes easy to talk to

Quick Reply: Walbro pump died, what now?