3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro Installed

Well weather finally permiting up here in good ole Rhode Island ( ) I finally got to install the Walbro 392 kit in my 05 dodge. As many others have installed already. I wanted to write this up to let you all know how the install went, some specifics, and because I have to send the same thing to Rich since I was a Beta

The kit. Upon opening the box it was like wow. Christmas in the middle of June.. I went through the whole box and not one item was missing, everything was accounted for and everything packaged nicely. Rich really has a nice set up and is def. reputable with his product.

I laid everything out and began work at 1pm on Friday evening. I got under the truck and started working on the tank. Welp run into a little delema here. The bolts for the fuel tank strap are 15MM and are about 2 inch long studs. I have nothing that long. Ok so I get my trusty box end wrench and take the back one off (I had about 7 gallons in the tank, and used a motor cycle jack to support the tank. I highly recomend buying one, there cheep (pep boys like 50 bucks) and can be used for a lot of stuff on these trucks) Ok back one's loose. Now I come to the front, well I have a long bed quad cab so the carrior bear support bracket is dead in the way. No getting a wrench in here. In the girls car off to sears. I purchased a 1/2in 15mm deep socket. I wanted to make sure it was deep enough to go over the studs and the 1/2 was longer than the 3/8", cost me 7 bucks.

Get the whole tank off really easy now and in the garage, take off the ring, take out sending unit, drill my hole everythibng. Thread in the bulk head and the tube, hitting the bottom. So I put in the supplied spacer, same thing, very close to the bottom. I cut off 1/4" at a time off the tube. I ended up taking 1/2 inch off my tank. Why I had to cut I'm not sure. I know a few others worked no problem, but I made sure I had the 3/16" clearence the instructions said. I was going to put a hole in there (on the side) but didn't want it rubbing, vibrating against the tank. Metal/plastic rubbing, not a good mix. So I finally get all that buttoned up.

Splice in the relay, run and mount the pump, reinstall the fuel tank. I drilled my holes in the frame and taped them 1/4-20. I liked this more than the self tapping screws cause the frame is thick and the way I mounted my fuel filter wanted it to hold too.

The instilation of the banjo bolt on the fuel filter housing was in a bit of a tough location. Not enough room to get a torque wrench in there. so I used a open end wrench and used my "eye" torque wrench. I can always snug it if it leaks, but it didn't. Then I held the banjo bolt while putting on the 90 degree fitting. This was the tricky part as it's way back there and in a bit of a tough spot. But I got it. So I cleaned all the fuel that leaked on the frame from here and also to make sure if I have any leaks they'd be easy to find.

6pm, done. My install took about 5 hours. Now this also included a trip to Sears to get the wrench, stop for some chips.

Prime the truck, gauge is moving a bit but I think it was pulling air and fuel so it was fluctuating, bump, up to 20PSI fire the truck up. Stubbled a bit then idle smoothly.

Test run. While at idle my fuel pressure was right around 19.5-20 psi. While crusing around down it would drop to around 19 (this is really really light throttle). While crusing about 65mph I would see around 18 psi. When I would get on the gas (TST on 1/0) it would drop to about 17.5. Turned up the TST to 3/3 (I"m still stockish) it pulled down to 16 psi. I believe the reason it pulls down at all is because it's not using the pressure regulator. The pump will flow whatever you want to the motor, but the pressure regulator causes it to be higher at idle.

All in all I"m very happy with this kit. I really don't think I could have bought it cheeper if I peiced it together myself. Granted I was beta, but if you want a kit that is bolt in (and I mean bolt in) then this is it. It's cheaper than the FASS and some other similar pumps, and maintains much better quality and performance of the pump. It's very quiet. I even mounted my wires for the pump right near the fill neck so if I run low on fuel, all I do is swap over to the other switch and run stock. you could pull them out and mount them down on the frame, anything. Very nice feature.

The only thing I noticed while my truck only had around 5 gallons of fuel in it, was that when you would take off, or stop the gauge would move. I believe this is because with that amount of fuel (bought an inch or two deep) it was sloshing around causing the pick up to catch air. This was around 1/8"th tank, it was between 1/8 and 1/4 tank. So if you keep it above 1/4 tank you'll be all set. Now it was only starting, once your crusing it didn't happen again. I'm sure you could run some kind of baffle around the pick up to fix this and I may do that in the future, but for now it works (I don't really go below 1/4" tank. The stock pump has around a 5 inch tall plastic bucket. All the excess fuel that it spits out fills this and then it over flows into the tank when it's low. This keeps the pump from startving from fuel when it slosh's around.

Before I hear "where's the pictures" "wa wa wa" I'll post some later. I need to charge the camera (in lawas were visiting) I will have them by tonight. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. If you wanna buy this or have more specific questions (I'm not god) call Rich and get the pump. I ain't trusting the stocker (in addition to everything else that will be replaced

Tom
Old 06-17-2006, 02:20 PM

I found the same thing on the pickup tubes. When they re-designed the top of the '05-'06 tanks they moved the flat mounting area we use for the bulkhead closer to the edge of the tank. I'm working on a flexible pickup assembly with a slight curve at the bottom to match the arc at the bottom of the tank. The new tubing can be thermo-formed to any shape we need and can be trimmed to length with a utility knife making the install much easier. The new units should be available this week. If anyone has a kit that hasn't been installed yet I'll send them the new style pickup tube at no charge.

Now we need to bump your pressure up slightly to the mid 20 range. The higher you go the better the pump will perform (i.e. less pull down).

Richard
Old 06-17-2006, 09:28 PM

A few pictures

Here's the pump, filter, pressure regulator, t fitting and the check valve installed in the stock line (this is to keep pressure from bleeding back through the stock lift pump)

This is the electrical connecters. Walbro is plugged in, other harness goes to the tank. This is how easy they are to swap out if you need to use the last bit of fuel in the tank.

If anybody want's more, let me know.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 AM

Did I read that right Rich the hose is getting upgraded and you will not have to use those hose clamps in the future? I know from experience those small hoseclamps loosen up over time. Now if their was just a way that you could convince the dealer that another dealer put that on so they wouldn't screw with the warranty on the truck.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 AM

No, the pickup tube in the tank is being upgraded to a flexible design. The clamps still need to be used on any non-PushLok connections.

Richard
Old 06-18-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My setup is very similar to what Richard is selling as far as the pump and the pickup in the tank. My pickup was from the FASS kit I got from Rip. I had to cut a bit off that tube also and also have the slosh problem when below 1/4 of a tank (pressure will fluctuate as fuel goes back and forth in tank). I did the fuel vent mod at the same time so I can fill more in anyway. BUT I'd like to see someone add a stock type sump to this setup (with prefilter that kinda holds some fuel in suspension at the pickup tube).
Come on Rich... you can do it...
Old 06-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Rich,

Easy fix for that pickup tube hitting the curved part of the tank. The 2 micron kit went in great. Thanks for your help! I didn't realize how small a micron was until my buddy told me that cigarette smoke is 1 micron
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Lets start here, I'm the first member with the new pick-up in the tank. John-P , 2 friends and myself put my system in yesterday.

We had no real problems with the system, but John P and myself had a couple of good ideas that will make the system a little better so I spoke with Rich yesterday about them.

All in all its a great system for the money. Give Rich a call.

CRIS
Old 06-18-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes.. I have donated...
Old 06-18-2006, 11:40 PM

I haven't looked at the 3gen tanks.. but I built a 1/2 pickup tube for a 1st gen... I was able to use one of the knock out plugs in the sending unit.. (the top of the tank.. inside the ring... ) I also don't know what the inside of the assembly looks like on the 3rd gens.. the 1st have a float with a valve at the bottom of a plastic canister.. and the return fuel dumps into this canister.. (and the canister fills when the float is up.) Anyways.. I used 1/2 copper inside the tank.. clamped the tube to the inside of the canister.. and then added flex tubing to a bulk head installed in the knock out... We where worried about the same issue.. racing or climbing.. and running out of fuel...
Bryan
Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by masonic-dodge
Lets start here, I'm the first member with the new pick-up in the tank. John-P , 2 friends and myself put my system in yesterday.

We had no real problems with the system, but John P and myself had a couple of good ideas that will make the system a little better so I spoke with Rich yesterday about them.

All in all its a great system for the money. Give Rich a call.

CRIS

Is that the first kit installed or the first in tank install?? or the first with the new pick up tube?? I too have the in tank pick up which I was refering too. I know how the stock pickup uses a bypass valve which pools fuel into the "container" in the bottom where the fuel pump sits, which is what I would like for the walbro, however it's mounted outside??? (wonder if a in tank pump would work better). I only get fuel slosh under 1/4 tank which I dont' really do, but if i have to go really far, or off road, want to know I ain't gonna stall it. Just looking for ways to make something great, even greater
Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

I have the first flexable pick-up tube. We shaped it into a S shape and cut a small U on 2 sides of the bottom of the tube. The bottom of the tube now sits almost in the center of the tank.

Give Rich a call.

CRIS
Old 06-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Gotcha. yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of doing with mine. Letting it touch bottom and u'ing it. (however metal on plastic I know it would have worn through) Next time I drop the tank, I think I'll modify it.

does the flexible tube thread into the brass bulkhead the same as the steel (or at least how the plastic one works??)
Old 06-19-2006, 05:43 PM

this may be a dumb question?

But why can't I splice the walbro pump into the factory fuel line, and run it off switched 12v? so that both pumps are running. I am really not crazy about modifying the fuel tank.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by blh1972
But why can't I splice the walbro pump into the factory fuel line, and run it off switched 12v? so that both pumps are running. I am really not crazy about modifying the fuel tank.
Cause when the stock one fails you won't pull enough fuel through it, and you'll starve the pump. That's why this one has it's own pick up tube. To be honist, yes you can put the Walbro in line with the stocker, but the reason this has it's own pickup is so if the stocker fails you can use this, and vise versa. if you install inline and either one fails, your whole truck goes down. I was also thinking of using the stock pick up, but it won't work due to construction.

Tom

Quick Reply: Walbro Installed