3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro and Cat 2 micron filter install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Walbro and Cat 2 micron filter installed UPDATE!

It being warm out today I got to finally install the Cat 2 micron filter and Walbro GL392 pump. All went pretty well untill I just about sliced my thumb off, that slowed me down a bit but still all together took me around four and a half hours. I ran all new 3/8" hose and replced all of all the banjos with -06 AN fittings. The only place i found to mount the Cat filter was infront of the drivers side tire on the body mount. Unfortunetly the filter was too long to mount like Superduty did. It doesn't hang down too far, you can't see it from the front and from the side just a tad. The fender liner was removed in the pic, it covers up most of it when in place. That FASS LP elimination piece is a POS, I didn't think I would ever get it to stop leaking. I had to put a good amount of torque on it, to the point where I was starting to worry about stripping out the filter assembly, but she finally stopped. At idle I have right at 17psi reading between the OE filter and the Cat filter. I haven't really got to road test it yet, but I flogged it a little on the short trip to 7-11 and she never dipped below 16psi, this is with a 3/8" CP3 by-pass. And to top it off I FINALLY got around to doing the tone ring mod. I'm a little anxioius to see if I will net anything from that.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:31 PM

Good job and a sweet looking install. I wish my rig was that clean.

Richard
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 PM

I hate to pee on the parade but I think using aluminum fittings on the Cummins is a bad idea. I would think they run the risk of stress fracturing from the vibration?!? Stainless seems like a better choice but I could be wrong.

Andy
Old 03-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
RBM- you do nice work. The underside of that truck's sure clean too.

Incidentally, what type of hose is that- is it marine?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 PM

Great pics. Man that walbro seems really simple to install. That looks to be about a thousand dollars in aluminum fittings and hose under the hood there
Old 03-29-2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
RBM- you do nice work. The underside of that truck's sure clean too.

Incidentally, what type of hose is that- is it marine?

Thanks guys! The belly usually isn't that clean, I just hit it with the pressure washer before I started. The hose is the Earl's 3/8" rated at 250 psi and the AN fittings are the "twist-n-lock" I believe. The by-pass looks a little crappy, but I didn't have enough fittings to do it over. Once you stick the hose in the fittng that's it, you can't pull them back out. I'll end up redoing it on down the line because it bugs the heck out of me, but she'll work for now.

And realsquash, I don't think vibration on the fittings will be an issue. There's very little weight on them and the hose can jiggle along with them which will help. Plus if thier good enough for NASCAR, they're good enough for me. I do agree though stainless would be more desirable, but they are a little harder to find. I am more worried about ceasure from corrosion, but I doubt that would happen overnight.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

I've been running the earl's fittings with -8 stainless braided line on my truck for the last 2 years and haven't had a problem with anything of them breaking.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:22 AM

Very nice! I agree, that Walbro pump looks super easy to install!

Where in NOVA are you located? I'm in Springfield...
Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 AM

Good job, like the an fittings. The fass block you said leaked until strong armed? Did you use the original lift pump o-ring. So now you get to test the long term factor on the wally pump. Hope all goes well as I too like wrenching and improving my rig.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:47 AM

Very clean install, RBM. Well done!

Regarding the FASS lift pump elimination piece, the FASS-2 instructions recommend putting some oil on the insert prior to installation to prevent the o-ring from shifting and leaking. I did that on mine and it was leak free without having to get medieval on the wrench.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice install. Those blue lines really pop in the pictures. Either you're a pro photographer or your truck is really too darn clean... WOW!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rather,

Nice job, but you didn't mention the wiring. All I see is a nice harness coming to the pump. Did you just extend the wires that normally power the stock LP? It seems like the amp draw should be close enough as long as the pump doesn't dead head and run up to 100 PSI.
I'm on my second stock LP now and need to get on with the new install.

Thanks,

John
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
Rather,

Nice job, but you didn't mention the wiring. All I see is a nice harness coming to the pump. Did you just extend the wires that normally power the stock LP? It seems like the amp draw should be close enough as long as the pump doesn't dead head and run up to 100 PSI.
I'm on my second stock LP now and need to get on with the new install.

Thanks,

John

I ordered the FASS harness from Rip, but I haven't gotten it yet, that will be the permanent solution. For now I just have a keyed power source triggering a relay, so when the key is turned to the on position, the Walbro runs. I think someone else one here wired it to the cigarette lighter circuit to get a signal since it switched on and off via the ignition switch.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rather,

Thanks for the reply. That seems like the safe way to wire it (relays, etc.) but it sure would be nice to just hook up the stock wires. Wish I new the amps for each pump.

John
Old 03-30-2006, 11:51 AM

I drove around today and this is what I have found so far. Normal driving pressure seems to be pretty stable around 17-17.5psi. With the Juice on level 5 I couldn't pull the pressure below 15 under a hard acceleration. Hopefully she will fare me well in the long run.

I do have a question for the people that have done the tone rig mod. On the stock settings it does seem like it has a little more giddy up. I noticed after driving and then stopping for a stop light, it sounded like a 2nd gen. But is was very brief, it idles smoothly and drives smoothly. Is a little rattle every now and then normal after doing the tone ring mod? Facing the motor, I rotated the ring clockwise. I hope that was correct.

Quick Reply: Walbro and Cat 2 micron filter install