3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro 392 fuel pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That's a good point.

Like your sig at the bottom...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel does not burn...lol.

Use a needle valve and choke the "orifice" down to nothing. I gave up after three regulators.

If my Cummins burns down...I am going with it!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Does the level of fuel in the tank affect the pressure?

Andy
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Does the level of fuel in the tank affect the pressure?
Only if the pick up line starts sucking air, you'll see in the vid I post below where I stop, and my fp goes to 0 at idle... that was from the fuel sloshing to the front of the tank away from the pickup line... usually starts happening at 1/4 tank.

First part of the vid is edge on 3, mp-8 on 50%, then a normal acceleration, second part of the vid is edge on 3, mp-8 on 50%, then edge on 5 and mp8 at 100%. I let off quick cause it started draining my rail.

edit, waiting on vid to load in photobucket...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
Only if the pick up line starts sucking air, you'll see in the vid I post below where I stop, and my fp goes to 0 at idle... that was from the fuel sloshing to the front of the tank away from the pickup line... usually starts happening at 1/4 tank.

First part of the vid is edge on 3, mp-8 on 50%, then a normal acceleration, second part of the vid is edge on 3, mp-8 on 50%, then edge on 5 and mp8 at 100%. I let off quick cause it started draining my rail.

edit, waiting on vid to load in photobucket...
sounds like when you dogged it out your tranny was slipping. you have anything done to it? did you figure out any of your problems?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Here's the vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OuIpIkMHk The second part of the vid is worthless, I guess you loose a lot when you transfer it to the web.

sounds like when you dogged it out your tranny was slipping. you have anything done to it? did you figure out any of your problems?
Yeah, the tranny's about had it, I'm working on a tranny deal now...

I talked to richard at GDP, and he had me do a fuel flow test, where I ran the pump into a container and timed how long it took me to get a gallon of fuel, he said it should be less than 60 seconds, which it was. I'm gonna pull the valve down tomorrow,(I only have one hand, so I need another one, gotta wait till the kids go to school tomorrow so momma can hold a wrench) and see if there is a clog or if it's messed up. I didn't have enough hands again to pinch the return, so it's coming down so I can take a look.

We'll see...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Personally I would ditch the valve and run a regular bypass regulator. Those valves seem temperamental to me.

Andy
Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 PM

hey another thing you might want to check as well is the rail pressure relief valve i found mine with a cracked screw so it was letting pressure int eh rail off to soon i have a set screw in the banjo bolt now so the rail has the proper pressure. i was losing about .5 miles to the gallon because of it. the lack of pressure was causing an improper spray pattern. if the valve is stuck open the FCA might be trying to compensate by opening all the way up.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by realsquash
Personally I would ditch the valve and run a regular bypass regulator. Those valves seem temperamental to me.

Andy
Exactly... and you set your fuel pressure and it STAYS there always. Think I paid $119 for Aeromotive universal bypass regulator 0-60psi. Very nice piece.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by skynyrd
hey another thing you might want to check as well is the rail pressure relief valve i found mine with a cracked screw so it was letting pressure int eh rail off to soon i have a set screw in the banjo bolt now so the rail has the proper pressure. i was losing about .5 miles to the gallon because of it. the lack of pressure was causing an improper spray pattern. if the valve is stuck open the FCA might be trying to compensate by opening all the way up.
Weah, you're gonna have to give me some more intel than that... gotta link to a thread or somthin?

When I go out there today, if the bypass valve don't fix it, I'm orgering another pump from GDP. I gotta have the truck next week, and it's the fastest, cheapest option for that. I always wanted a backup pump anyway...
Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 AM

I used to run my pump inline with the stock as well. It worked well for quite a while but after some time I had the same problems that you are having. I talked to richard and he said that the weak stock lift pump probably couldn't keep up with the demands of the walbro pump and was causing it to cavitate and burned up the walbro pump. I ended up just ditching the stock pump and running the GDP setup with the new pickup tube and have been problem free ever since.

I really liked the idea of having the stock pickup and being able to run both pumps, but it just didn't work out. I'm guessing that is your problem as well. Mine did the same thing yours is doing, eventually it died completely though.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

My stock LP died a few weeks ago, I'm just running the walbro now.

I MAY HAVE LUCK!!!!!

I Took the regulator valve off and cleaned it, didn't see anything major except the float was scored from the spring, and hooked it back up... viola!

I didn't hwy test it yet, but around the block looks good... More to report in a few !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

IT LIVES!!!!

Runs better than ever. Just a float that was hung up, I guess...
Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Chech this out... Just got off the phone with Richard Martin at GDP, I've been on the phone with this guy for 2-3 days about this pump... Come to find out, he didn't even sell it to me... it was a knock off that someone used his web instructions and put their stuff in it... He's been helping me out for free...and he wasn't mad about it, he kept trying to help me out even after the fact... That's some stand up service right there!! Heck of a guy...

Thanks too all that have helped me out and given me ideas here...

Here's to ya!!

mad
Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madhat
Chech this out... Just got off the phone with Richard Martin at GDP, I've been on the phone with this guy for 2-3 days about this pump... Come to find out, he didn't even sell it to me... it was a knock off that someone used his web instructions and put their stuff in it... He's been helping me out for free...and he wasn't mad about it, he kept trying to help me out even after the fact... That's some stand up service right there!! Heck of a guy...

Thanks too all that have helped me out and given me ideas here...

Here's to ya!!

mad

LOL, that really is some stellar service!

Quick Reply: Walbro 392 fuel pressure problems