3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro 392 fuel pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do what Jstieger did, tear it open and check it out. Let us know what you find.

Jwb600, isolators are notorious for inaccurate readings. I run an electronic sender and guage. While costly, I don't have to worry about erratic readings.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
Do what Jstieger did, tear it open and check it out. Let us know what you find.

Jwb600, isolators are notorious for inaccurate readings. I run an electronic sender and guage. While costly, I don't have to worry about erratic readings.
can you send me a pm on your setup and how much it cost? thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Regulators stink! Run diesel all the way to the gauge!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cquestad
Regulators stink! Run diesel all the way to the gauge!
It's probably fine for 99% of the time. But what if something happens? Accident or something? Fire? I don't want fuel in my cab.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trik.....most of the time we agree, but really.....have you ever tried to light diesel? I do agree, I guess. I don't want fuel in my cab either, but what about the 35 gallons you sit on top of? I think if it was gonna happen, the regulator fuel would be the least of my worries!

Easiest way.......get an electronic sender and guage unit.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 PM

do you have an after market locking fuel cap ? this could be your problem.

I had similar problems with my GDP walbro setup.

I did however figure out after going through 3 of richards pumps that the reason my fuel pressure was dropping was a stupid locking gas cap that did not vent , and as a result caused the drop in pressure and eventually smoked the pumps too.

I have gone back to a fass system & the stock fuel cap which does vent well.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's a vid... First is key on with no engine, second is WOT with edge on 4 and MP8 on 50%, 3rd is normal excell. I found a small leak in the line, replaced it after the vid, and it just made the jumpiness go away. With the edge on 5 and the MP8 on 100%, I can run the FP to 0 and drain the rail. The truck actually shut off on me a little today...

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=M2U00192.flv

EDIT: Nevermind, the vid is garbage. Got some good ozzy there in the begining. I'll try to shoot some more tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

With the comments about running fuel straight to the cab... turn the key off. It's not that deep. If it is, as posted before, the 30 or so gallons under you may be a little more important...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I know it may be a pain, but try to compare your guage readings with a known good guage at the cp3. Eliminate your guage and the isolator just in case. Gonna be hard to read though! I have used a tranny pressure guage with a long hose when I was doubting my Commander readings.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Here's my boggle... My FP was acting normal a few days ago!!! 20 at idle, 15 at WOT, no less! Great response! Now I got maybe 18 at idle, 0 at WOT.

New pump or is it a valve?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Biggest question is......what is the actual pressure? Does it run like it doesn't have enough pressure? What is the rail pressure? Are you seeing the results of low lift fuel pressure by having low rail pressure? I'd hate to see ya drop for a new pump, only to find out that it was a faulty guage. Sometimes places like Autozone have the tranny guages as loaner tools. The tranny guages are higher increments, but they have a nice long hose. You should get a good idea of what the pressure is first.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Nah, The truck is telling me that I don't have enough fuel. Rail press is good till about 3 PSI, then it starts dropping. I actually had the truck stumble on me today at 0 PSI, rail press took a crap. It's not the guage, I tested it with air pressure too.

If my vid was good, you'd see. I'll re shoot tomorrow.

Here's a good smoke vid... 10 pts if you can id the song at the end.
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=M2U00196.flv
Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Hmmmm.. Bob Dylan House of the rising sun? And yeah......if you're draining the rail......it is probably a pump. I know you've checked it, I'm sure, but double check all the filters, and powers and grounds for the pump. Alway remember KISS. Keep it simple silly! ( you can just about substitute any s- work for the last one there!!! They all work! )
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yeah, new filters, new lines, checked power at the contacts, and checked the grounds, This is just the first pump that seems to be dying gradually and not all at once.

10 pts to you, Sir. Not too hard...

GIGANTIC NOTE!!!!!!!!!! I am not putting Richard Martin or GDP down, INCREDIBLE customer service!!

Crap happens, and I am not worried about it...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
While the pressure is showing lower than normal, carefully pinch off the return (bypass) line between the regulator and the tank while watching the gauge. If the pressure jumps up, you know the pump is capable of making the higher pressure and the culprit is probably the regulator. If the pressure stays low, you can assume the pump is having trouble building pressure. Problem would be the pump, its power source, or the tank strainer (if you have one.) Just watch and don't let the pressure get too high when you squeeze off the line.

Quick Reply: Walbro 392 fuel pressure problems