3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Walbro 392 External Fuel Pump Qustions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro 392 External Fuel Pump Qustions??

After setting up my Cat 2-micron fuel filter as you can see below. My stock lift pump is running at 7.5 PSI and I'm wanting to add a aux helper lift pump and keep my stock fuel/water canister in the fuel system which has a PF7777 Baldwin fuel filter.
From what I have read the Walbro 392 is a stand alone pump. Can the Walbro 392 be used inline a long with the stock Lift Pump which is mounted on the stock fuel/water canister?
Also is the Operating Pressure: 35-100psi is a little much for a stock setup? Is there a way to control the Walbro 392 PSI. I really don't need that much PSI. I would like to stay between 14 & 20 PSI.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2009, 11:57 AM

you can do a relief valve or a check valve that opens at 15-20 psi. Why do you want to keep the stock lift pump? It will probably go out and you will be runnin on the walbro anyways.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 PM

Unfortunately you cannot do a 'helper' pump with the factory canister mounted lift pump. Reason being is the design of the factory pup is not a flow through design and is too restrictive for a helper pump to do much good. The best bet is to replace the system with a GDP Walbro setup that still uses the factory canister. It replaces the factory pump with an adapter to allow a fuel line fitting instead, the Walbro is then mounted on the frame close to the fuel tank with a relief valve to limit pressure to approx 20psi. Easy to install...added benefit being if it was to fail while on the road just about any aftermarket fuel pump could be used in a pinch as long as it had threaded or barbed fittings to put fuel hose on.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
tcr

Get rid of the entire stock filter pump assembly, that's what I did and the fuel flow is so much better w/ no places for leaks to occur. THey make a bypass mount for your existing tubing(Vulcan Performance).
Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Good point. Might as well do a way with the stock all together.
Where can I find the relief valve to limit pressure?? I've looked without having any luck....
How are the relief valve to limit pressure listed as part items?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM

If your gonna put one in, just get ahold of richard From GDP. Awsome kit he sells and very good install instructions. I have had mine in my truck for 140,xxxkm and i just replaced my pump as the posts rotted out(lots of salt up here in canada). But the walbro runs awsome on its own and hold 20 PSI no problem and you use the stock fuel canister too.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DODGER BOMBER
If your gonna put one in, just get ahold of richard From GDP. Awsome kit he sells and very good install instructions. I have had mine in my truck for 140,xxxkm and i just replaced my pump as the posts rotted out(lots of salt up here in canada). But the walbro runs awsome on its own and hold 20 PSI no problem and you use the stock fuel canister too.
I haven't seen his kit on there anymore? i've seen the 392, but not the kit?? I agree the 392 is sweet, and I've been 100% happy with mine. I put mine in the way they recomend, however added a switch harness so that i can switch to stock when the fuel level gets low (aftermarket draw straws don't hold a reserve) the stocker does a bit, good for stop's and starts in town. when under 1/4. I know some put the return line in, and the pick up there, and it works, but again it will run out eventually based on the pick up.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DODGER BOMBER
I've been to GDP web site and I haven't seen any kit there. They do list a GDP Bypass Valve but there is no details or picture. Nothing more then a price. Is there anybody else that offers a kit. I don't like to but a piece here and a piece there. It would be nice to get everything in one complete kit. If not who sales the bypass valves and wiring harness
Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Maybe email him or call. I know i bought mine along time ago now but im sure he still makes a kit. The best part of the walbro kit also is the fact that you can never here the pump running unlike some of the other brands out there.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by GaCamper
After setting up my Cat 2-micron fuel filter as you can see below. My stock lift pump is running at 7.5 PSI and I'm wanting to add a aux helper lift pump and keep my stock fuel/water canister in the fuel system which has a PF7777 Baldwin fuel filter.
From what I have read the Walbro 392 is a stand alone pump. Can the Walbro 392 be used inline a long with the stock Lift Pump which is mounted on the stock fuel/water canister?
Also is the Operating Pressure: 35-100psi is a little much for a stock setup? Is there a way to control the Walbro 392 PSI. I really don't need that much PSI. I would like to stay between 14 & 20 PSI.

[IMG][/IMG]

^^Great looking setup!! A+
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM

he doesn't sell them in kit form anymore, was just talking to him couple days ago. i run that set up right now, and i am happy with it, those pumps are great. he does still sell the pumps, and if you really want he can hook you up with all the pieces, just a bit more money as they don't come in kit form anymore. the other pump kits he sells are great too, just order one up for a buddy's truck.the newer stuff have a lifetime warranty, its worth the money. great place, and very helpfull.