3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

waiting for my JR, should be here weds.17th

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waiting for my JR, should be here weds.17th

gonna jump in ,waiting for Smarty jr.cant wait to plug it in.Guess the mufflers gotta go,guages need to be installed,4'' exhaust can stay.air intake maybe.am i missing anything?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to DTR...(you should start by updating your signature so everyone knows what your working with).

That said, I'm orking with the "assumption" that you are working with a stock truck between an 03'-07'.
Yes, your going to love the Smarty Jr...
Things I would do:
- Put an aftermarket drop filter in your current air intake unit (NOT K&N)...look around on here for "replacement air-filters". This will save you hundreds on replacing the whole air-intake unit for no performance increases over the simple drop-in
- Good idea to replace your muffler (for better sound). However, your stock exhaust will be just fine from a performance standpoint.
- Again, good call on the gauges (they are a must). Personally, I like tracking boost, EGTs, & tranny temps.

*Lastly, I would reccomend running the SW1 or SW2 levels on default timing and Torqe until you learn more about the unit and what you are trying to get out of the Smarty (better mileage, throttle response, etc...)
I would highly recommend againt running SW3 until you have made some tranny upgrades (or shortly there after intend to...)

Again, plenty of guys on here with tons more expertise in this area than myself. I have learned A LOT from this site and all the guys/ gals providing good information that has saved me plenty of time and money on unnecessary upgrades and "camp-fire theories" (especially as I started to slip down the "diesel performance slope" on no return...)
*Case in point...I have a Banks cold air intake "system" & 5" turbo back exhaust (both items were purchased BEFORE I joined this site. Not that I have had any problems out of either of these units, but I also know now that I basically bought these for the truck because "that's what you do when you buy a diesel"...

Good luck...and enjoy!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you buying it new? If so it should have the 5.14B software already. As soon as you hook it up check the screen but do it fast as it changes quick. if it is not this version go to MADS site and update it.
load SW3 with TM1 TQ default and see what happens for a few runs around the block or freeway. Then before you destroy your tranny (if auto) go ahead and mes with SW1 and 2 and the timing and torque settings to see what best fits your driving style. If you are going for some performance and mileage make sure to drive a full tank or two to get a decent idea of what you get.
Several members here including myself have our settings in our sig.
Above all have fun and get those gauges installed!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM

ty all so far,can some recommend the guage cluster?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 PM

ty,i appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM

where is a good place to get factory matched guages?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ***** sutton
where is a good place to get factory matched guages?
Geno's is a great place

http://www.genosgarage.com/AUTO-METE.../products/237/
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Geno's is a good one. I got mine at rollinsmokediesel.com
If you go with all 3 I suggested and the A-pillar mount your looking at a hair over $300 (before install).
You will save yourself a good bit if you can do this yourself!