3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Volumizer - Dyno report

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Volumizer - Dyno report

Well I seam to be about the only one on this board who has much good to say about the Volumizer. A lot of people were doubting its advertising claims. It would seam that the only way to put this to bed is with a Dyno. With that in mind, I searched the web for the closest and found one in West Palm Beach. The folks at Total Performance & Service were very helpful even though they were much more use to working on Rice They even figured out a way to pickup a rpm signal off of the #1 injector wire. I had them do three back-to-back runs with the Volumizer set on "stock", "60hp", and "100hp" positions.

Readings were:

1. 268.9 hp/506.5 tq
2. 288.6 hp/ 584.2 tq
3. 337.3 hp/ 716.6 tq

Results against claims:
1. 716.6 - 506.5 = 211.1 tq gain against 180 claim -Pass
2. 337.3 - 268.9 = 68.4 hp gain against 100 claim - Fail

The obvious conclusion is that the box did not live up to the advertising claims. But then again a closer look at the dyno charts and the advertising claims show a different story. They don't really claim 100 hp gain over Peak stock hp. If we look at the gain at 2300 rpm it is:

314 hp - 219 = 95 hp gain - Close

at 3000 rpm:

337 hp - 237 = 100 hp gain - Pass

and at 3100 rpm:

323 hp - 217 = 107 hp gain - Pass

So, bottom line, did it meet the 100 hp, 180 tq claim? I guess I don't know The dyno graphs are in my user gallery and will be available when they clear censership. You (including Doug ) can make up your own mind.
I thought about sending it back because yes, I am disappointed about the numbers. But it has not set a single code, cruise control works great, clutch is margin at best on the "high" setting and 6th gear passing power is outstanding. It also starts a lot lower then claimed with a 50 ft-lb gain a 1500 rpm. It won't be the last box I buy so I think I'l keep it for now.

The Boss Hog
(Now where is that Quadzilla website . . . . . . . )
Old 04-02-2004, 04:39 PM

Glad someone did a dyno test on this unit. Most people look at Peak hp/Peak tq and that's what makes them happy. However, it is important to make significant gains in the driving rpms and can really feel the seat of the pants increases.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:22 PM

I'm not too savvy on the boxes(yet!), but I think those are very good numbers,especially the torque. That's what really impersses me is the awesome torque of these beasts!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:34 PM

OK, they made it through the censor so here they are:
This is the stock run. looks about normal for an HO 6-sp.

The "60 hp" position

Finally the "100 hp" position. I asked the dyno operator to roll into it at as low of rpm as possible. Looks like we have an adequate amount of torque at clutch engagement.

The Boss Hog
(That $60 sure went quick . . . . . )
Old 04-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

Boss, thanks for the info! Not necassarily for the volumizer but to let me know how quickly the torque falls off. I will keep this post in mind next time I tow the TT. I assumed (incorrectly) more go pedal more go... Do you have those sheets in pdf or are they pics you could send me...I would like to look at them a little closer. tfeore@***.net
Old 04-05-2004, 02:58 PM

Re: Volumizer - Dyno report

Originally posted by The Boss Hog
. But then again a closer look at the dyno charts and the advertising claims show a different story. They don't really claim 100 hp gain over Peak stock hp.
great work Boss. This is precisely the enemy I shoot at in my fueling_box_summary

the real story of driveabililty is torque in the most driven range. This is because, especially for the CTD, torque is relatively flat across this range, which means the back of your seat pushes with a constant force on you. For example, take the stock truck which measures out to something like 470 ft. lbs of torque to the rear wheels. We could say this is 241 HP (which is true at 2700) or we could say this is 143 HP (which is true at 1600). Which method more accurately describes the performance of engine as felt by the driver? when you feel a constant force pushing on you, do you automatically think "oh, feel the HP starting out low and increasing with speed?" of course not.

So Boss-- most of the mfgs I find out there, including and especially Ramifer, rate "best gain", which is a bogus way of describing how the box will benefit your driving experience.

I interepret your dyno results as follows:

1. the Volumizer makes 180 ft lbs torque gain from 2000-2600 rpm,and this is a "38% harder pull" over stock. That still among the leaders of all the moderate boxes

2. The box makes 69 peak HP over stock peak HP.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:16 PM

Boss Hog, Great post....but a couple of thoughts... Dodge claims the 03' HO is 305 HP, (measured at the flywheel) but when looking at the dyno runs of the bone stock trucks they are any where between 240HP and 265 HP....So you lose about 13% to 22% through the drive train. Volumizer claims 100 HP gains.....so you can expect that number to decrease by 13% to 22% as well. which would put the gain to the wheels at 78 to 87 HP which is about where you are. BTW: when I installed my volumizer I noticed more turbo boost than stock, even in the off position.

I recently Dynoed my truck at the AFE factory in Irvine, CA on their Mustang Dyno. My 305 HP, 03' HO is stock except the AFE7 filter system and Volumizer box. My numbers where very similar to yours, I only ran it on the #3 (100 HP) setting:
334 HP
729 TQ

One other note, a new 04' 325, "600" bone stock dynoed only 245 HP !
Old 04-22-2004, 03:35 PM

Thanks, great post. I think the volumizer probably feels more impressive with the SO, I know I like it.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 PM

Elite1,
First, welcome to the forum. you will find lots of good information here. Im glad to see yours came up with about the same numbers as mine. You might notice that mine were "actual" not "corrected" although conditions when and where I did it were very close to "standard".

Originally posted by fanofthewolf
Thanks, great post. I think the volumizer probably feels more impressive with the SO, I know I like it.
fanofthewolf,

I did not mean to indicate that I was disappointed in the Seat-of-the-pants performance. It will lay down a long smokey pair of tracks from a third gear launch but only once. The clutch gives up after that I'm sure it really brings your SO to life. You should have it dyno'ed just to see the difference.

The Boss Hog
(Now whats that number for SouthBend? . . . . . . . . )
Old 04-23-2004, 07:28 AM

Boss, I looked in your photo gallery, I see you have a sense of humor, neat use of the red "X" I got a laugh out of that , almost didn't see it. Again, thanks for the reports.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:34 PM

Boss, Thanks for the welcome.... One point I want to make, before I installed the volumizer, my turbo boost would max out at 22 lbs. Now with the 100 HP setting it goes up to 28. In the middle setting it is 26, and in the "off" position it is 24. So it is my belief that even in the off position, you get a little performance enhancement....I have heard the same is true in the edge boxes.
That being said, If you had dynoed yours bone stock without the volumizer plugged in, your stock numbers may have been a little lower, which would make your math a little different, this may have made the volumizer pass their claims.

One thing that blew me away at the 'Dyno day' I attended, is that the stock 03' HO's, were out performing the stock 04.5' "600".
Old 04-24-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Elite1
Boss, Thanks for the welcome.... One point I want to make, before I installed the volumizer, my turbo boost would max out at 22 lbs. Now with the 100 HP setting it goes up to 28. In the middle setting it is 26, and in the "off" position it is 24. So it is my belief that even in the off position, you get a little performance enhancement....I have heard the same is true in the edge boxes.
That being said, If you had dynoed yours bone stock without the volumizer plugged in, your stock numbers may have been a little lower, which would make your math a little different, this may have made the volumizer pass their claims.

One thing that blew me away at the 'Dyno day' I attended, is that the stock 03' HO's, were out performing the stock 04.5' "600".

Elite1
You may be right and I admit I'm guessing but consider this. The "boost fooler" is active even in the off position. That would account for the little extra boost you saw. But, I don't think that necessarily means more power. More boost on a gas engine means more power because that air/fuel mixture is always maintained at about 14.7 to 1. But on a diesel engine, the mixture is always considerable leaner. The extra boost is just more air, but not more fuel. More boost means leaner mixture which means lower EGT's (which is opposite gas engines) but unless the ECM is adding more fuel, it does not mean more horse-power. And since you are "fooling" the ECM, its doesn't know you are adding more air therefore, it does not add more fuel.
May not be right but it sounds good to me

The Boss Hog
( At least one person noticed the red X . . . . . . . . )
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 PM

From what I've seen on boxes. If the wastegate is set-up properly i.e. not too low from the factory and the box in question does boost fooling the extra boost may be from not defueling at the higher rpm's. Just my observations. My C3.2 does this also.

-Richard
Old 08-09-2004, 06:10 PM

If anyone is interested, I extrapolated the data from Boss Hog's Volumizer dyno runs in 100rpm increments and combined it all back together into one graph so that I could directly compare the power increases at each setting. I used Microsoft Excel if anyone would want me to email the original file to them. Feel free to take a look at the graph picture in my "Member's Photos" section.

I got nothing too new and exciting out of it. Although, I will generalize and call it a "0-40-100 box" from 1500rpm to 2900rpm and a "0-60-100 box" from 2900rpm and above.

Now, why would I be spending so much effort to do this?