3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Volant Powercore intake (56K death)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a good setup

I'm just wondering how restrictive it is compared to AFE Pro Guard 7 or Uni Filter or other oiled style filter?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM

I just got the results of my first oil analysis from Blackstone. The analysis shows a silicon level of 2, compared to the universal average of 7. They noted in the story that the low silicon levels indicated excellent air filtration. This was my first oil analysis since installing the filter. I never got an analysis done while running the OEM filter.

I did remove the filter at the last oil change and weigh it. It was about half an ounce heavier than when new. I knocked the front of the element straight down against the work bench and got a small pile of sand and debris.

I'm definately satisfied with the filter and will keep updating as it ages.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Question

Nice write up, especially the long term results. Just curious why you didn't go with the additional ram air scoop that Volant offers?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 AM

What is the CFM rating on the Powercore?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Excellent thread, OP. That is the only aftermarket I would go for due to DONALDSON quality. I'm for economy, too, and though the filter cost is high, the long-term engine health ought to be well worth it.

Maybe you'll put an EAG and a TAG on it and really mess with us, huh?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 PM

I just changed my Volant oiled filter out to the Powercore and I'm really happy with it so far. As a replacement in the older intake for my 06 it was a very tight fit and I was concerned about the air mostly entering the front too. I found that it points right between the openings into the fender and front. The only ways I could think of to compare it to the oiled was by MPG and smoke, It did not smoke any more than the oiled and my mileage is the same. I had just cleaned and re-oiled the other filter so it should be a fair comparison, if not scientific.

I really like the Volant intake, it works really well and is made nicely. Looks great too.

Thanks for the great thread.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by diesel4play
I just changed my Volant oiled filter out to the Powercore and I'm really happy with it so far
did you use the powercore in the same box or switch out the whole intake for the newer model?.....thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 PM

I haven't been on Volant's web site for a long time. I just saw that they get $98 for the replacement filter ($86 other places), and they now offer a prefilter. They are advertising a 4 yr 100K mile warranty on the powercore filters used in urban conditions.

http://volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=89&ptype=f

Steve C.,

As for their cold air pipe, I don't think it's worth the $216 that it sells for. I had thought about making up my own, but I haven't taken the time.

Gypsyman,

There is a chart on the Donaldson site for the air flow on the powercore filters, but I couldn't find a spec sheet for specific models. I've never thought mine was starving for air.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/air/light.html

Rednax,

With the TAG/EAG, your post is the first time I've seen anything about those, I actually had to search to find out what they were I don't know enough about them to say if I'd entertain something like that or not. I'm not sure how much improvement there would be while I'm still running the stock muffler.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Namotuman,
I replaced the filter element only, same box. Like I said it was a tight fit.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM

". . I haven't entered the fuel receipts into my spreadsheet yet to see if there is any increased mileage or not. "

Any satisfaction on fuel economy with the new air filter system after more than one year?

Any changes in driving distances/style, severe weather to affect it? Different tires? Bed load?

This is one of the few (only?) "upgrades" I'm willing to consider as the stock box provides plenty of flow AND is good about not picking up dust.

The VOLANT box is "dustier" with non-protected intakes, but the filter ought to offset that if the fuel economy change is real.

At a projected 15k per annum travel at current average of 19-mpg for all miles, to offset upgrade cost of $116.00 per year for a three-year payoff, I would need to see (at projected $3/gl fuel; or $2,368.00) an annual reduction of 39-gls; or, an increase in overall fuel economy to 20; or, 1-mpg (roughly; given a price of $350 as a point for discussion).

As the plan is to keep the truck more than three years past that point (six years from now; 2016), then the price may be worth it. As the price of fuel continues to rise this would make the gain faster.

For others, (4WD & A/T), where the annual mpg number is, say, 15, (1,000-gls annually), the mpg increase for a three year payoff/break-even would need to be only a little more than .5 mpg

The cost of the filter replacement is the wild card. There are other ways to play with the numbers, and I am hoping for some insight, overall, from the OP on the "worthiness" of this component.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM

btt
Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 PM

btt
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 AM

Here is some numbers from before and after the install:

Overall MPG hand calc before 16.16 (15K to 25K on truck)
Overall MPG hand calc after 17.07 (25K to 40K on truck)

These are rough numbers that include all driving conditions and towing. I haven't made any motor changes that I would think could contribute to the MPG change, there are no tuners or other motor mods. I did change from the retractable tonneau to a full shell to a hard tonneau during the time period, the constant is that the bed has been covered the entire time. At 40K I'm still on the stock tires. I have read that the MPG improves as these engines break in, so my results may not be from the Volant intake. Like so many mods, I don't know that you can calculate a payoff with certainty.

17 months and 15K miles in and I'm still pleased with the quality and performance of the intake. The cover still looks good as new and I see no degradation of any of the components. I will be doing another oil change soon and will weigh the filter again.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and to offer figures (granted the caveat that break-in and some other changes may account for current mpg).

One mpg probably is impossible to figure ROI alone I'll grant. Several oil analyses (Terry Dyson at DYSON ANALYSIS) to figure how the systems trend over time is the usual best suggestion. He would also have an idea of how this system type is working out (filter brand/model).

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

Look forward to how you determine efficacy, and to any other information. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Right now I'm at 5K miles on my first go with synthetic oil, that right 5K miles since December. Regardless of the synthetic oil I'll probably do a change and sample in July. I think the results will show 5K is premature, but with the 120 degree summer coming on it can't hurt.

Most of my driving is around the city, I usually take the Jetta TDI on any highway trips. As for bed load and towing, 95% of the time the bed is empty, and as for towing, I've only made two identical 300 mile trips with the trailer where I could accurately hand calc the towing MPG. The towing MPG before the filter at 18K miles was 11.49 mpg, after the filter at 32K was 11.94 mpg. The load was identical (my Bronco on it's trailer, 9300 lb) and conditions were very similar (70 mph cruising with the AC on in 105+ temps), but .5 MPG is too close to call. I have done some in town towing, but I usually don't designate in town towing on my fuel spreadsheet.

I'm going to change the tires next month, so that will throw a wrench into the data, but I'll still keep track.

Quick Reply: Volant Powercore intake (56K death)