3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Volant cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volant cold air intake

Does anyone use or have used a Volant cold air intake? I would like some opinions from people that use or have used it please.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used them extensively for the past several years. I currently have one on the sposual unit's 2004 Nissan Titan and just ordered one for my CTD. My 98 Durango had one along with the sposual unit's old Nissan Frontier. Never, ever had any problems with them and I like the fact they are fully enclosed so as not to pull in any hot air from the engine compartment. Very well made and fit is good. For the CTD they now have an 8 layer red Primo filter (oiled) which makes me happy and, from what I have read, filters out 99.5%. They also look pretty cool when you open the hood. By adding this intake and cat back dual exhaust to all of the aformentioned vehicles, all of the vehicles really came alive

You can buy them with or without the ram air scoop (None of mine have the ram air scoop) but I think it would be pretty easy to just add some good hose and route it to where ever you want. Also they make a pre filter for the diesel filters - I may or may not get one as I have never had any problems with my previous vehicles - just clean and re-oil evey 15,000 miles.

They are a little pricey especially if you buy one with the ram air scoop. If you shop around on the net you can find them for the CTD for around 280 to 300. I ordered mine from proficient performance for 296.00 but got free shipping. I think the ram scoop is another 100 bucks or so.

Keep your foot out of it and it is pretty quiet. Smash the throttle and you hear your motor really come to life

If you decide to get one, the only thing I can suggest is to not torque down the 4 stainless screws that hold the top down on the air cleaner. Just snug will do as there is a rubber gasket on the top and, when you get on the throttle the top gets sucked down a little so the top has to have some play.

Dyno results that I have found are anywhere from 2-18 hp depending on the vehicle.

Here is a link to a 2002 testing report conducted by Sport Truck World.

http://sporttruckworld.tenmagazines....p?aid=36&sid=6