3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

voided warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 AM
wah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voided warranty

hey i need some help. I want to mod my mega but im concerned about the warranty. I want to throw a 5 or 6 inch exhaust and programmer on it. Also a cold air intake. can they void my warranty if i take the programmer and intake out b4 i take it to the dealer. Because i dont want to have to swap exhausts every time there is a problem. so help me out let me know "can the dealership void your warranty even if they dont have physical proof of a programmer."
Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 AM

As far as I know.....and this is a very touchy subject, but in a short answer, yes they can and will void your warranty if the programmer/box directly caused the problem. From what I heard, a cold air intake and an exhaust will not void the warranty unless it is a k&n intake (dont know what it is about K&N). Of course you want to load the stock program back in before taking the truck in for service. I use a edge juice/attitude and also have a volant intake and a flowmaster cat-back exhaust. I have to go in for service tommorow. The only thing I am taking out is my juice/attitude. I dont know how deep they have to look into the ECU to see that a box or programmer was used. Maybe somebody can chime in. Any dodge mechanics on the site. I only have to have a TSB done but I dont want them to see my box. The only thing left will be my pyro but lots of people use them for pyro guages. I feel and, again have no clue, that my box may be a little more undetecable because it doesnt change anything in the computer, it just takes the stock information and modifies it a little in the way of duration and timing. Again, somebody with some real first hand knowledge chime in please.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 AM

waranty

They can avoid warranty on anything that has not been approved by DC. Period. I has an issue with my Turbo Timer and dealer voided my warranty had to have it removed to be reinstated..Best bet is to keep it stock when you bring it in that way no issues.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tell your dealer what you want to do and see what they say.....they may give you the go a head...some dealers care some dont.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:48 AM

Yes they will detect it (well not a definante, but at least a 98% chance) The programmer will be detectable. If you want to mod it you have to become your own warrenty station, or you can leave it stock, until the warrenty is expired.

It has been said eleventy billion times here that: "If you play be prepared to pay." It really is that simple.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
wah

yes blacksunshyne i understand if you play you pay but if i return the truck back to stock before i drive it in there and they run the computer and see that the truck for example has reved higher or exceeded the 108 and all that stuff, but the truck files are saying they are stuck can they void it without me having the programmer in. back when i had my powerjoke ford said they can only void my warranty if they physically find it in there i.e. see the programmer in the truck or find the modified files in the computer
Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 AM
wah

i just got off the phone with chrysler and they said that no chrysler or mopar dealer in the country will void warranty for exhaust if it is cat back and air filter as long as you dont mess with sensors therefore you are ok as long as you dont tamper with the cat or sensors
Old 05-30-2007, 11:05 AM

I would still like to know about plug and play boxes, since they dont change the computer in anyway. From what I understand, they just take the stock ECU info and modify the signals not change anything. On my edge juice/attitude it is timing and duration and i think some fueling at higher levels. I have yet to run over #3. And here is a question, if you disconnect batts for 30 mins and pump the brake to drain any residual voltage, doesnt your computer have to sort of reboot anyway. I took out my edge juice/attitude for tommorows trip to the dealer, disconnected power for at least 30 mins, pumped the brake pedal, and started it. The truck started right away but you could smell a lot of diesel in the air. After a min or two everything was back to normal as soon as all the systems were back online. Does the computer still save past information after the power loss?? We seriously need to get a Dodge mechanic to chime in to set all of these rumors to rest about programmers/plug and play boxes.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by DSmith1178
I would still like to know about plug and play boxes, since they dont change the computer in anyway. From what I understand, they just take the stock ECU info and modify the signals not change anything. On my edge juice/attitude it is timing and duration and i think some fueling at higher levels. I have yet to run over #3. And here is a question, if you disconnect batts for 30 mins and pump the brake to drain any residual voltage, doesnt your computer have to sort of reboot anyway. I took out my edge juice/attitude for tommorows trip to the dealer, disconnected power for at least 30 mins, pumped the brake pedal, and started it. The truck started right away but you could smell a lot of diesel in the air. After a min or two everything was back to normal as soon as all the systems were back online. Does the computer still save past information after the power loss?? We seriously need to get a Dodge mechanic to chime in to set all of these rumors to rest about programmers/plug and play boxes.
I guess i will add to the rumers. I have heard that the computer is like a black box on an airplane, it records and stores data. The Star scan tool reads this data and sends it to Chrysler to order the correct parts for repair. Before Chrysler ships the parts to fix whatever broke on your truck, the service writer is contacted and made aware of the customers computer mods and is told that the customers warrenty is voided and that they are resposible for parts and labor. So its not your mechanic or service manager or service writer or dealer that voids your warrenty, its Chrysler. This info was from a dealership in Golden, CO.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM

There are so many stories and rumors, who knows the truth. That does make sense though Thundercloud. Id like to know if the ecm can send falso info though, and the reason I say that is on two occasions upon getting into my truck my lights went out and my whole dash lit up doing some kind of reboot. All the guages lit up and the needles swept across and after 10 seconds or so everything was fine. Are these ECMs they put into these vehicles junk or something??
Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are affraid of loosing your warranty even a tiny bit...... DON"T do the programmer or any other type of box.

For this exact reason mine will stay stock for about 6 more months. After that I will be able to be my own warranty and you can bet the bombing will slowly begin.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Just buy a smarty
Old 05-30-2007, 12:16 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First off, try not to double post. Second, like I said before , the dealer can void your warranty for signs of abuse, neglect, and downloaders. They can tell if there has been one on. The Smarty claims they can't detect theirs, but I would hate to find out the hard way. Third and of greatest importance, it was stated if you play you pay. Even taking the downloader off YOU HAVE STILL PLAYED! Time to pay, if in so it happens. The sneaking around puts a black cloud around all of us diesel owners when people try to "pull the wool" over the dealers eyes.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

If you mod a vehicle and it directly causes a malfuntion then warranty doesn't cover it...

The question is do you want to fight it out...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
wah

all in all i guess the warranty doesnt matter i mean if i break the truck at least it is paid for because id hate to have to pay for something that i cant use.but it does come in handy for little things but my dealership wont void mine for exhaust and air intake and thats all i want so i guess all the arguing can stop and all the bs......... sorry for asking a question i guess next time i will know better.

Quick Reply: voided warranty