3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Void warranty?

Hey guys, ignore my signature . . . just sold that truck and upgraded to a '06 2500 CTD. The truck is bare bones stock and only has about 200 miles on it so far. I'm really not looking to do too much to this truck currently but wanted some opinions on two things: 1. After market air intake systems & 2. Tuners

Which air intake system(s) do you all like the best and why?

What are the thoughts on tuners? I had a 5 stage power chip in my '01 that did some pretty erratic things (wasn't the best chip on the market at the time). With the investment in this truck I don't want to screw things up, but wouldn't mind adding a very modest amount of HP and get-up-and-go (like30-40 hp). Also, does anyone know if tuners will void your warranty? Can they tell whether you've tuned the truck or not? Obviously it would be set to factory stock settings before going back into the dealership. Any comments or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thomas
Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 PM

The Smarty which will be comming out for the 3rd gens sometime this summer is not suposed to leave a foot print in your ecm when returned to stock. I believe other downloaders can be detected.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:39 PM

My buddy at the local dealership said that nearly any module, or programmer is untraceable. Although there are plastic tabs on the back of the valve cover, and hotline ask if those are broken, they will void your warranty on the spot no questions. That is on the 06's only.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 PM

Wagonhauler-

Pardon my ignorance . . . but what are you talking about in reference to the valve cover? Do the tuners not plug into the computer control module under the dash? I know the 2nd gen trucks were programmed that way, maybe these 3rd gen trucks aren't? Thanks.

Thomas
Old 04-13-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Price_Dog
Wagonhauler-

Pardon my ignorance . . . but what are you talking about in reference to the valve cover? Do the tuners not plug into the computer control module under the dash? I know the 2nd gen trucks were programmed that way, maybe these 3rd gen trucks aren't? Thanks.

Thomas
The edge is all pluged in under the hood and essentially splices into the harness where the injectors are pluged in and then goes into the port on the side of the motor
Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 PM

I was just makeing a referance to the warranty being voided, in case of injector mods.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 AM

So no one really knows what can and can't be traced? When I was questioning the folks at Dodge they had to tell me that anything would void the warranty, though the caveat was that it had to be pretty obvious. The mechanics get paid more to work on warranty repairs than they do for regular, out of warranty work. I was told that unless it's obvious they won't find it, as they are not proactively looking to void people's warranties. Who knows though.

Thomas
Old 04-14-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Price_Dog
So no one really knows what can and can't be traced? When I was questioning the folks at Dodge they had to tell me that anything would void the warranty, though the caveat was that it had to be pretty obvious. The mechanics get paid more to work on warranty repairs than they do for regular, out of warranty work. I was told that unless it's obvious they won't find it, as they are not proactively looking to void people's warranties. Who knows though.

Thomas
Not true. techs get paid less for warrenty work. The OEM dictates the hours to be billed per job. And those hours are far less then normal book time.

Basically comes down to the dealer, and how they want to treat the situation. The dealer I use(try to advoid) had a service manager who was a *&%@#%, I had a Cummins Power badge on the tailgate and he wanted to void my warrenty over that. Because he figuired I had to be modding my truck if I had that badge on there. But the same dealer has a new manager now. Went in there the other day to get reflashed after messing up my truck with the Triple Dog. No questions asked, easier to deal with, I said I needed my ECM reflashed, and the ABS light was on. They didn't ask no further questions, just said covered under warrenty, have a good day.

I have to wonder about some using the "doesn't leave a print" as a marketing ploy.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 AM

As to your questions about tuners, I use the quad xzt tow module(65HP). It is really easy to install or remove in case you have to go to the dealer.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 AM

My buddy took his truck to get a pyro installed so he could take off his juce/attitude and the guy asked him if he was doing it to take it in. He got his scan tool and the only code he could find was an overboost code. He cleared it for him and dealer will never know there was any aftermarket electonics. His new srt a pillar guage looks awsome btw.

Off topic, but it's kinda funny. Since I've been on here I now know more about his truck than him. He asks me to look up stuff for him. I need to find a truck so I can play with my own.

Also, I work in the IT field and computers have warrenty stickers on the back of them. If you try and open the case to put in faster parts (essentially what we do when we BOMB) the sticker will partially rip off and say WARRENTY VOID in big letters. The manufacturer will do NO repairs after that. Just something to think about