3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Very Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Very Impressed

I have to say that with all the talk about Quadzilla and their products on this board, I had high expectations. Well over the weekend I had the chance to install my Quad Commander, X-Raider, and Smoke Switch. All I have to say is "WOW", this stuff is awesome, the power is great, and the ability to watch my #'s in real time is a very big plus for me. I love gauges and the Commander is exactly what the Doctor ordered for me. The install was flawless and very easy to do. Everything was laid out perfectly and it all matched and worked the very first time....

The smoke switch was the last thing that I installed and it is great. I love being able to "BLACK-OUT" an intersection with just a flick of a switch.

Everybody who gives advice on this site, really should have a pat on the back. Without all the advise that I saw and the instructions that are given, I would have never even thought of modding my brand new truck, but now I am "HOOKED"!!!!!

But as a side note, what EGT'S should I watch out for? I do tow a wake board boat on the weekend and just back and forth to work during the week. I would like to know what is my highest sustained EGT, and what is my peak for lets say the drag strip?

Sorry so long.....
Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

you really don't want any sustained high egt's. If you must though, anything over 1250F sustained will be detrimental to the engine at the time or in the long run. If you stay lower than that, that's even better. If you're going to the drags... you better get yourself a turbo asap
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Most people like to stay at or under 1250*, if you see 1300+ for a short burst don't flip a wig, you won't do any harm. Just don't sustain that temp for a long period of time.

Just curious, what is this "Smoke Switch"?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Doesn't Cummins say the max sustained temp is 1450?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D

Just curious, what is this "Smoke Switch"?
A smoke switch is a switch that is installed on the wiring harness to the Quad box that when you trun it on it tells the box that you are at full boost and send tons of fuel which is unburned and comes out the tail pipe as "BLACK" smoke. Then when up to speed turn it off and no ill effects. I just toggle mine on/off when I want to "SMOKE" someone out or look cool....
Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by cameroneod
Doesn't Cummins say the max sustained temp is 1450?
I have not been able to find #'s posted by Cummins....
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
If you're going to the drags... you better get yourself a turbo asap
I dont plan on drag racing very much, just go once in a while to have some fun, watch others and possibly run mine. I am not a drag regular, I love my truck to much for that....
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

I'm no racer either but, take a look at this thread and you may change your mind... it doesn't take much sustained heat to cause this >>>>> Burnt piston >>>

1450F is WAY too much heat. It's ok for a very short burst but, in no way ok to be sustained without components to compensate..i.e, ( turbo )
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
I'm no racer either but, take a look at this thread and you may change your mind... it doesn't take much sustained heat to cause this >>>>> Burnt piston >>>

1450F is WAY too much heat. It's ok for a very short burst but, in no way ok to be sustained without components to compensate..i.e, ( turbo )
Nice post, sorry to hear about that, hope all is ok. It has made me rethink the defueling limits that I have set in my Commander... thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM

G-ALMIGHTY people, when r we gunna get away from this old skool thinking about EGTS these new diesels 04.5s and up can handle much higher egts than previous models. gallery cooled pistons, multi-layered head gaskets,colbalt valve seats, ribbed reinforced blocks etc,etc. 1450 sustained pre-turbo at max gvw no problems. late
Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VADERPOWER
G-ALMIGHTY people, when r we gunna get away from this old skool thinking about EGTS these new diesels 04.5s and up can handle much higher egts than previous models. gallery cooled pistons, multi-layered head gaskets,colbalt valve seats, ribbed reinforced blocks etc,etc. 1450 sustained pre-turbo at max gvw no problems. late
That may be the case that they can handle more. It sure doesn't mean you should do it though.

You're right about pistons, the HG is two layers and much better than older versions but, can and will blow, the valve seats are very problematic in that they can easily come out, and the block... well, if you fry a pistons and score the cylinder too bad, I don't care how tough the block it is, you have a big problem.

It's better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't push it.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 PM

TRITONT, i respect what u r saying and i wasnt trying to offend. my point was that my truck totally stock could surpass 1400 egts pre-turbo pullin a hard hill, so how many guys are pullin at max load with no guages with there foot in the grill up every hill they could find for thousands and thousands of miles with no ill-effects? hundreds of thousands i suspect. these engines are tough-tough-tough again no offense meant. late
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM

some boys at a diesel shop near by do a lot of custom work and they got their hands on a 5.9. they put it on a stand and ran it to 1350 for two days!!! They were completely in disbelief when it just kept running and so was i when they told me about it.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM

can you put a smoke switch on anything other than a quadzilla
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 AM

An easy and fool proof way to set an EGT limit.

Put the truck in stock form as far as power is concerned. Do a WOT or as hard a run as you can, preferably with a load and up some sort of grade if you can. Check your MAX egts and set the de-fuel at that level.

If you do that you will never exceed the stock truck limits.

If you turn your module to the "off" position you need to add 50-100 degrees to the MAX as our module does boost fooling in the off position and will yield lower egt's than stock.

For drag racing occasionally......just don't look. I cannot really condone higher than stock egt's but, for a few seconds you will be perfectly fine.

Quick Reply: Very Impressed