3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Van Aaken 3.1 or 3.2 or Bully dog???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van Aaken 3.1 or 3.2 or Bully dog???

Wanted input from users, like many I am trying to decide on the right box. I am not looking for bragging rights hp and torque, just better fuel economy. Truck has enough power to pull anything I will ever need to.But a little extra can be fun. The TST #6 in my old dodge always makes me smile.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet the TST PMCR in your 03 would make you smile even more .
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 PM

I just installed a Van Aaken C-3.2 on my '03, HO, 6-sp., 4X4. & I am really happy with its performance.
The VA C-3.2 is a duration-only box that also does some boost fooling. It has 3 levels controlled by a small toggle switch. The levels are stock, 65 HP & 130 HP measured at the rear wheels, per Van Aaken.

I ran some tests and the VA3.2 on the High level knocked 3 seconds off my 40 to 65 mph runs in 5th gear.
The 65 HP setting is recommended for towing.

The only other mods are a 4" Magnaflow muffler & an AFE air intake system with a torque tube. I, also, did the Tone Ring Mod which advances the timing by about two degrees. Van Aaken thought this was a good combination.

I believe the box & TR mod increased my fuel mileage. On a 476 mile drive on Thanksgiving weekend, in a strong head wind going to CA & back to Phoenix, I got 21.47 mpg on cruise control at 65 mph. I believe thats about the best I've ever gotten. I, also, have a 115 gal. auxillary fuel tank in the bed that was about 3/4 full. Fair amount of extra weight. For this test, I filled the main tank, to the top, drove the trip & refilled at the end, to the top & hand calculated the mileage.

The VA 3.2 is pretty easy to install & remove for warranty trips to the dealer. I chose this box because it was not using pressure to make HP. too much pressure can cause damage to your HPCR & injectors.

I believe the VA 3.1 is a pressure-only box & don't know much about it.

The Bullydog is a downloader, I believe. I'm not real sure exactly how it makes the HP but, I didn't care much for the fact that it reprograms the trucks computer. Everytime you change the program or flash the computer, there is a notification left in the computer that can be easily seen by the Dealer. At least that's what I've been told. I eliminated that Mod because I didn't want to raise anymore flags than necessary, with the dealer.

The VA 3.2 seemed to have the features I was interested in, without the liabilities I didn't want. It works better than I thought it would. Some of the towing guys like it because it gives power at lower rpm levels, which, is what they want.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 12-14-2005, 04:01 AM

I have the VA C3.2 stacked w/ the Quadzilla Race. The Quad makes better power and at the bottom end versus the VA power which comes on at the top end. The VA makes the truck sound completely different when you hammer it. I normally run the VA only when I'm just tooling around town because it does not screw w/ my overhead and it doesn't affect my fuel mileage. I lose mileage w/ the Quad box and also w/ the EZ I used to run...

Turn both boxes on at the same time and
Need I say more???
Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend if going with the VA C3.2 do the tone ring mod or use the Rokktech crankshaft sensor for addition timing. Should help with the EGTs.

MikeyB