3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Valve Keeper is hiding from me

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Valve Keeper is hiding from me

Has anybody had one of the valve keepers fall down into the hole for the push rod? . Well I did. I took off the oil pan and I didn't find it in there. I stuck a magnent in the push rod hole and didn't find it there either. So my question is where did it disappear to? If I pull the head off will I have better access to the area where the lifters are? If I do pull the head off how much is head gasket from cummins?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

its probably sitting between a cam lobe and the block...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM

The motor is out of the truck so once I took the oil pan off I looked up toward the cam and spun the motor over by hand and I didn't see it but I will look harder tonight when I get home.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM

the head gasket will be around 80.00 from a cummins dealer.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

you won't have any better access by removing the head. you'll just be closer to the tappets but, something that small is gonna be hard to find that way. You'll likely have to pull the cam if you don't find it the other way.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by barney1
Has anybody had one of the valve keepers fall down into the hole for the push rod? . Well I did. I took off the oil pan and I didn't find it in there. I stuck a magnent in the push rod hole and didn't find it there either. So my question is where did it disappear to? If I pull the head off will I have better access to the area where the lifters are? If I do pull the head off how much is head gasket from cummins?
I had the same thing happen to me the motor i was working on was on a stand turned it over looked all over the place pan off checked all over the crank no wear to be found. It ended up bein to down in the push tube hole and to the left there is like a little pocket that it was in I eneded up taking the head back off but i think if i would have fished a little more i would have got it. Man was i glad when i found it!!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 AM

Well I did some more fishing last night and I still can't find the keeper. I guess I am going to get the motor mounted on the engine stand and turn it over to see if I can here it flip around and if that doen't work I guess I will take the head off so that I am a little closer to the area where the lifters are. Things were going so quick and smoothly while I was swaping out my valve springs until the keeper fell in the puch rod hole.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Banned

unfortunately your misfortune is a lesson for all to learn from. PLUG those holes while doing that type of work !

good luck !
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bad-Duvall
I had the same thing happen to me the motor i was working on was on a stand turned it over looked all over the place pan off checked all over the crank no wear to be found. It ended up bein to down in the push tube hole and to the left there is like a little pocket that it was in I eneded up taking the head back off but i think if i would have fished a little more i would have got it. Man was i glad when i found it!!
X2
I had a similar thing happen when changing a cam and tappets.
There is a small pocket beside the pushrod hole that it can sit in.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by barney1
Well I did some more fishing last night and I still can't find the keeper. I guess I am going to get the motor mounted on the engine stand and turn it over to see if I can here it flip around and if that doen't work I guess I will take the head off so that I am a little closer to the area where the lifters are. Things were going so quick and smoothly while I was swaping out my valve springs until the keeper fell in the puch rod hole.
When i fliped mine i never heard it movin around.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Well I guess I will flip it over first and hopefully here it in there. I took a piece of wire last night and was moving it all around in there hoping that I would hear it move but I never did hear it. Now I just need to get the motor mounted on the engine stand. To bad they don't have an access plate like the 12 valves.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Well I finally found my valve keeper. I ended up removing the head and then stuck the magnent in the pushrod hole and I immediately found the keeper. I decided to remove the head since I am about to put studs in and I figured it would be easier to bottom tap the threads with the head off. The only bad thing is I just called cummins to order a new head gasket and the new gasket costs $108