3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Valair Clutches??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valair Clutches??

Anybody know of these?? A friend put one in his truck and seems to like it! Need some input..
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Banned

A buddy of mine is running one and he's been real happy with it as well. Holding 500hp and towing is not a problem with it. He said it's a hair grabby but nothing bad. It's to be expected with a high HP clutch.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

They are suppose to be identically made to a south bend but south bend will deny this and say they are way superior i have ran a south bend forever in my 03 truck with no problems or complaints at all but for someone wanting to save the $ valair is a good alternative.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

Their out of the conversion kit for your truck currently sorry a messup with the flywheels at the machine shop they should be ready by the end of the month.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 AM

I'm running the ceramic and love it. it takes everything I can give it with no problems
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM

I've been running their ceramic now for about 3000 miles and it's working fine. It is a little grabby, and harder to push in than stock, and noisy when idling without the peddle pushed in. I was aware of these items before I put it on, and I would absolutely put it on again. It holds really, really holds well.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the input. Becuase i tow alot, whats the best for me?? And how much should a Trans shop charge for the install?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 PM

Mine cost about $450 including turning the flywheel and was done by a dodge dealer.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CReed
Their out of the conversion kit for your truck currently sorry a messup with the flywheels at the machine shop they should be ready by the end of the month.
They have been telling me that story since early April.

Nice guys though. Since they never got the flywheels, thats why they never called me back for an order.

My customer couldn't wait any longer so I went SBC.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:17 PM

I recieved great service. He said they would be ready at the end of the month. Talked about 15 mins. Nice Guy
Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Ya they got some flywheels in and they were wrong so back they went to machine shop. You should go with the 450 version alot less grabby then their 550 version.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

not to be the only neh sayer here but the Valair units and the Southbend units are no where near alike. no matter what MR. Vallance tells you.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

Exact copy of southbend clutch using same feramic material and he has admitted to not having time to design his own version of a light duty diesel performance clutch so he goes out and buys a south bend and copies it to a T. This has come out of his and South Bends mouth just passing it along its a he said he said type a deal southbend will deny clutches being the same but will admit that he has stolen and copied their design. I ran a southbend in my truck for a long time and its still in it waiting to be sold i had no problems or complaints about it but for someone looking to save a few HUNDRED bucks Valair is a great alternative. Southbend has been the main squeze in the diesel clutch world for a long time and have kinda taken advantage of this by skyrocketing prices and valair is just tyring to give the market a very comparitive clutch for a good fair price. Nothing against southbend at all just stating it the way i see it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:40 PM

tell that to the guys that bought the first set of G56 clutch kits that were cobbled together. RobertP did a good write up on the conversion. The original G56 conversion he sold required a spacer for the starter because Valair did not machine the flywheel properly. Once it was announced in the open public on another website, it was corrected. The problem being that the flywheel was too far forward. By the time the clutch was fully engaged against the flywheel, only half the center hub was even riding on the input shaft. Sorry, but that is not the kind of engineered product I would run!

here is the link to the write up

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=128152
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

My ValAir is absolutely magnificant, it holds great and I can tow 20k no problem. Dan is a great guy to talk to as well, I recommend his clutches to all my FRIENDS, and I'm not going to tell them to buy something thats not worth it... He also has great customer service...

Quick Reply: Valair Clutches??