3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Upping 600 mileage. How to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upping 600 mileage. How to?

I am hoping lots of people will benefit from the answers to this question, but here is my specific situation.

I am worried about mileage issues on the new 600, but I have ordered one anyway. No money down at the dealer, so why not, right?

It's a white Sport 3500, SLT, QC, SRW, LWB, 6 speed, 2 wheel drive, 373 with aluminum wheels and slate interior. The setup was chosen for mileage, as you can see. (If anyone knows where I can get this combo in a 305/555 I'd really like to know!!!! Heck, I'd take it in a 2500 or with a taupe int, too!!))

This truck will be driven for ~100,000 miles a year and it will be towing most of the time. I will probably keep it for 400K miles or until its reliability makes me uncomfortable having it out in the middle of nowhere (or until I find something that gets better mileage.)

I want to get better than 20mpg unloaded on the fwy and about 14 or 15 (hopefully) towing (max 7000 lb enclosed trailer.) What are the best things I can do to improve mileage?

I was told that a new set of 'optimised' injectors would do a lot to improve mileage. These are supposed to be the same injectors as the original, but somehow flow optimised. (internal polishing?) I was told that the new injectors improved mileage by 3 MPG with no other mods. Has anyone done anything like this? Did you get similar results?

The story goes that some boxes will improve mileage, too. I read that the newest VA duration box can show increases of 1-3 MPG. I'm sure that others might do the same. Any experiences? (My dealer is pretty cool about mods. "If we approve and install them, they will not effect the warranty coverage," they say.)

Has anyone added a free-flow muffler to a stock 600 yet? (I mean a stock 600 with the rest of the stock exhaust and cat left in place.) Did it do anything for mileage?

Has anyone removed the cat AND added a muffler to a stock 600 yet? Did that help mileage?

Real world experience answers would be most valuable but any and all helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

DB
Old 04-22-2004, 07:24 AM

I don't know where you are located but there are several dealers in Texas that still have 555's. I would get on www.dodge.com and do a dealer search in Texas. Try Henson motor co, Bonham chrysler and others.

I would not count on a muffler, intake, etc. helping with mpg's. If it helped mine 1 mpg...it is still 3 or 4 short of what I expected. I know I have a 4x4 DRW but I only get 12 to 14mpg. ( 12 is in town/driving "normal" and 14 is on the highway at 65mph or less).

I have tried every combination of cat-muffler,no cat-no muffler, cat no muffler,no cat straight thru muffler, in addition to an afe air filter, and a homemade torque tube ( at different times). I had a bigger increase in mileage when I went from 45psi to 70psi in the tires. One difference that I noted seemed to be in seat of pants power with the different changes...and also the sound of exhaust and/or turbo whine.

If you are concerned about mileage, I would find a 555.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:02 PM

I've had 7 dealers do searches for what I want and none have it. The closest they got was an automatic 555 in silver with a short bed. Anyone have any ideas where I can find one out of Texas? I will go wherever I have to and I have the cash.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:31 PM

Henson motors: 3500 SLT 4x2 LWB SRW QC 373 White/Taupe (not sport-not 6spd)

MSRP: 37045.00
Old 04-22-2004, 04:54 PM

Thanks. That's as close as they seem to get. If it had the 6 spd I would consider swapping the grill and bumpers to make a sport, but it wouldn't quite get there. Too much additional $$$ that I can use to fix the 600 I need to know how to fix it, though.

I really want the sport and I have to have the 6 spd.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:01 PM

Mileage mods

Mileage is a difficult thing to predict as these trucks are different and how they are driven varies considerably as well. If you get the new truck you might want to try a Turbo Air Guide (TAG). Many have experienced better fuel economy using the TAG especially when towing. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag