3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Undercoating / rust proofing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercoating / rust proofing

Guys, I am getting ready to transfer up to nothern Ohio were they love to pour salt / calcium / and other crap on the roads in the winter . I have a 2003 2500 QC 4x4 SB CTD an the main warranty expires in july (3yrs). Anyways, I am thinking about getting some undercoating to protect the under side before I get up there this summer. Can anyone give me some opinions, fact, or recommendations. I found nothing doing a search. Thanks much, I want to keep this truck as long as I can!!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 AM

Sorry, (still learning) I did find a few threads on this topic but not much. I am still open to other thoughts though, thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 AM

Thumbs up underbody preservation

2armor,
There's a dieselhead on TDR and I think he post's on here as well goes by the name of Hammer from York, PA, He uses Armor All tire spray(I think thats the brand) on the underbody, his 97 looks as new as when it drove off the assembly line. A good underbody wash with a pressure washer, let it drip dry and spray away, he uses about 3 cans.

Dave
Old 03-26-2006, 10:40 AM

what I do

I also live in ohio and yes they really do pour salt and calcium on the road way, which really does a number on the frame and underbody. What I did was, went to the carwash and sprayed the crud out of the entire underbody of the truck. Then drove to Advance Auto parts and picked up some cheap black rubber undercoating. About 5 cans(I spray on really thick).
Then I put on some safety goggles and climbed under the truck with a wire brush. I took the wire brush and nocked off all the loose rust from the frame and watever else I decided to undercoat. Then spray it on like paint. Watch out though, the stuff really is hard to get off the skin!!
Let it dry and then put on another coat or two untill you get the desired thickess of the stuff. The final product looks semi gloss black and really nice.
Also, keep it away from wiring in case later down the road, you have wiring problems and need to know what color a wire is. Hope Me could help ya,

Wheelo
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 AM

Thanks guys, Hammers method sound interesting but I would think it would wash off after a few weeks (like it does on the tires). I do and will continue to give the truck frequent fresh water wash downs. Its cheap and the salt wont eat as bad if the truck is washed often.

Wheelo: I did exactly what you described on my 97 explorer when it was new, 10 years later, some touch ups every few years, and it did do the job. I may go that route too if I dont hear anything better. Just wanted to go with the best / latest method on this truck, Thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 12:01 PM

I live in NJ, we are notorious for our salt. I always undercoat my vehicles. The easiest way is to use about 5-6 cans of rubberized undercoating. Walmart has them at the cheapest price. A better is the gallon size that has to be brushed on. I did it once. It took two days, but it will last much longer.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2Armor
Guys, I am getting ready to transfer up to nothern Ohio were they love to pour salt / calcium / and other crap on the roads in the winter . I have a 2003 2500 QC 4x4 SB CTD an the main warranty expires in july (3yrs). Anyways, I am thinking about getting some undercoating to protect the under side before I get up there this summer. Can anyone give me some opinions, fact, or recommendations. I found nothing doing a search. Thanks much, I want to keep this truck as long as I can!!
I use a product called P.D.R.P.,made by sprayon products.It leaves a waxy film that pervents rust.I sprayed my 2004 with about 6 cans on the under carriage area.Michigan salts there roads pretty heavy also,No rust yet.I bought mine from dieselmanor.com.coobie
Old 03-26-2006, 08:40 PM

If you want to spend the bucks go to a place like ziebart, getting hard to find because not many get it done anymore.
I have mine done, had the heavy/thick application applied throughout the bottom (normally they just apply to wheel wells) then drill and spray in all the panels the thinner stuff. Discuss thoroughly with them exactly how and what you want sprayed, have them do the fuel lines, bolts, nuts on brackets etc.
I wouldnt worry about the warranty and sometimes cause they dont issue one you might be able to negotiate a better price because of the extra things done they may want to increase the price.
It makes a big difference if you retain your vehicle, in many cases it will pay for itself in reduced replacement of fuel lines etc, increase sale value etc.
As good as the mfgs corrision protection is, you still get minor rust in door seams etc. when they drill and spray panel it will make a differerence. I'm finkey about my vehicles, after they complete the job, I buy a can and touchup all missed nuts and bolts on shocks, brackets and such. Later it makes for much easier removal etc. I perform most of my own maintance. PLUS it makes it much quieter from road noise and rocks.