3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Twins produce lower egt's than BIG single??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twins produce lower egt's than BIG single??

Now before all of you ol' timers start saying do a search before asking this question because its been beat to death----hear me out.
I have searched for hours and have read for hours and came to the conclusion that twins were the way to go for awesome spool up, cooler egts and awesome power----so I was going to buy ATS twins, but at the last moment I thought that a few phone calls to all the turbo people would be wise time invested--lol

Now before you start thinking I am some pak that wants to make big smoke and noise I'm NOT. I am in my 40's I own two companies one of which is a distributor for Donahoe, CST and Carli (you can see I align myself with good guys). I just don't know diesels that well

Now here is my dilemma, with talking to the Big single turbo boys (actual builders) they say with the newer technology (right now) that twins will soon be obsolete as big single's spool just as fast, create huge hp #'s and egts are no longer a problem.

So with the searching and reading I feel that it's not really up to date or is it?

With the new technology are the big single builders being straight with me or not?

I never tow with my truck so thats not an issue, I want the most power I can get and am willing to spend the money it takes to get there.
I don't like easing out of the throttle once I'm there soooooooo?

I've pmd a few of you asking your opinnion's but haven't heard back---thats ok I know people are busy baby sitting kids who want to make noise and have big smoke machines---no worries!

But if there are a few of you who have some brand new big singles (silver bullet etc) and a few of you who have twins please chime in, if not I guess I'll just go buy one of everything and try'em all, then smashhh all the ones I don't like!!

Thanks to all who take the time to read and respond

FRUSTRATED
Old 08-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Yes there are singles out there that will support the power that twins can but none of them will spool as fast as a set of twins or cool as well or as efficiently. To support a 700hp truck your going to need this MASSIVE single that is slow spooling and takes a while to get up there where as you can get away with a set of twins that spool much quicker and get to cooling much quicker. Not to mention that some single's out there will surge real bad while towing where as twins won't. You've also gotta worry about barking a single turbo where as twins you don't. Also, drive pressure on a big turbo at high boost is a lot higher (read more inefficient) than a set of twins is. High drive pressure means high EGT's and more stress on headgaskets and what not. The big singles are good at what they do but they aren't for everyone. Talk to rjohnson. He went from a big single that was slow spooling to a set of small twins and picked up 56hp and dropped 200* in egt's and has MUCH, MUCH faster spoolup.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:49 PM

you ought to give nobody a pm hes selling his ats twins. you could get a good deal.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:13 PM

If you are getting twins.....save yourself alot of grief and time.....I like both of these but I'm a sucker for punishment....get yourself a set of Power by Poole twins with a nice B1 top turbo.....They are the best of the designer twins. the BD twins are next , ATS twins are having some issues it seems....they'll get it worked out but for now....I'd take a silver bullet by II with a Smarty over a set of twins......pm if you want more info.....I'm running a set of twins this week and I'm putting on a super single next week for testing.....ks

Get SMARTYier!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of problems is the ats twins having?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 AM

O6dmc,
The big singles are definitely getting better. The big horsepower is still made by twins and most of the owners don't give out dyno numbers. Depending on how you want your truck to drive depends on what setup is best for you. I believe most would go with twins, but because of cost considerations they opt for 1 killer single. Remember the single turbo guys are trying to sell their product. I spoke to the owner at one of the more popular shops who sells good singles and felt like his advice on twins was completely wrong. I've been around the block on this stuff,.. don't get burned. Learn what will be best for your setup, develop a relationship with someone you can trust from their past performance, and have them build to your specs after you get all your info together. There are some great new turbos products that will be out in the next year or so and they will be better than ever.
I don't like buying someone else's off the shelf product..... just don't be like me and get too carried away. That's how you get taken advantage of.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 AM

Thanks!

I can't thank you guys enough for the info, I appreciate your time.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 AM

Go for the twins. If I had to pay $2500+ for a single, manifold, etc, I'd rather cough up the coin for a nicely built set of twins. I got my SPS66 for $1635 shipped, so the choice to go with a single was easy for me.

Looking back I made a mistake. I should have gotten a SPS62 to use as a top turbo later, or just jumped in and got the twins right off the bat. There's a site selling the BD twins for only $3700, but I forgot what it was. One of the RV sites, I think.

The SPS66 is a laggy sob, and it makes my truck smoke like a coal locomotive when driving around at 6000 feet in the summertime. When the boxes are set to make the truck drivable, I smoke everyone out when taking off from a stop until the turbo makes some boost. I guess the SPS66 is a good turbo, but I don't like the performance of it when it's not at sea-level. Maybe it would be better with an auto?

At sea level it's still laggy, but the Smarty has sure helped a ton! It still smokes a bit on the bottom end, even with mellow driving.

There are many interpretations on "fast spooling." I can tell you that my 66 plain *rips* from 12psi to 55psi, like in the blink of an eye. It can surprise you.

But the wait from 0psi to 11psi can be painful. We're talking over one to two seconds. And you'd better hope you don't loose too much boost when you shift, you have to wait all over again. I bought a BD blow-off valve to protect my 66 from barking. Well, I have to disable it to race, because I lose all boost when I shift. I think I'm going to give up on the BOV altogether, and just bark the turbo like everyone else.

Additionally, on my truck the SPS66 won't cool more than about 430hp on the street while keeping EGT's in check. It will do big numbers on the dyno, but if you're hammering on your truck on the street, I feel that a set of twins with some cool charge air will do a lot better job.

I cannot imagine the Silver Bullet being much better from 0psi to when it lights. It's still a big turbo with a lot of rotating mass.

I vote twins.

The nicest set that I've seen has been built by J&H Performance in Redding, CA. They use only 1 clamp on the whole setup, and the entire set can be pulled out in 1 piece. Not a mess of pipes, clamps and boots like the BD setup and others out there. They will be building my setup when it's time for me to upgrade.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 AM

ATS is NOT having problems with their twins. It is just another rumor started by one bad post...
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 AM

I've heard they are really laggy from a few that have them. They tell me they are working on a turbo that will lite quicker so I called ATS and they told me they didn't know if it would lite better because they haven't tested it yet
Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 AM

They must have had one of the first sets...I have driven one and rode in three sets and they performed excellent. Mine will go in soon.

Maybe they are having a fueling issue?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Maybe they are having a fueling issue?

Possibly, I have no actual seat time in any of the trucks. Let us know how yours do.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cquestad
ATS is NOT having problems with their twins. It is just another rumor started by one bad post...
Thats what I figured to, good ol rumors...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by acook
Thats what I figured to, good ol rumors...
I am not sure why anyone would do such a thing.

One bad post?

PM for all the info you need!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCLeary
The nicest set that I've seen has been built by J&H Performance in Redding, CA. They use only 1 clamp on the whole setup, and the entire set can be pulled out in 1 piece. Not a mess of pipes, clamps and boots like the BD setup and others out there. They will be building my setup when it's time for me to upgrade.
You got a phone number or a picture or something of those twins? They sound interesting looking.

Quick Reply: Twins produce lower egt's than BIG single??