3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

twins

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question twins

I am new to this forum, and I am sure you guys have already answered this question before, so bare with me here. I have a 03' 3rd Gen w/ TST and diesel dynamics stage three injectors. I have a pusher pump and a Suncoast tranny. My question is Which Turbo should I use? Do I have to go with twins in order to run the Powermax on 9/9? I tow only lightly and am mostly interested in street race acceleration speed. Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-09-2004, 05:26 PM

DD3's and a TST...I don't think you will ever be able to use 9X9. Something will run out of fuel if you don't melt first.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Banned

if you've got the coin, go w/ twins...

whatever you do, don't pour the coals on too thick yet, or you'll cook that HY35 in no time!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:06 AM

check with enterprise engine, They have a turbo that is surviving the TST and injectors in pulling comp. Its not on their website, you need to call and talk to them.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have a turbo that is surviving the TST and injectors in pulling comp
Good god man...with a SINGLE? I'd hate to have to drive that truck around town. That must be one mean sled puller though.

My vote goes for twins. What horsepower level are you wanting to run at?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:19 AM

Its actually not that bad to drive, I usually run the box on 2/3 the smoke is not terrible unless I want it to be. I really don't have a specific horsepower goal, I really just want to be able to fully utilize the fuel (power) I already have. Could I go with a single and run nitrous on hard runs? or would I scatter the engine for sure. I realize running that kind of equipment there are some inherent risks assosiated with it, and I am willing to deal with them.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but If I go with twins will I still be able to use my truck as an everyday driver? Also, will twins take forever to spool up? I have never been around a truck with twins, but I understand the basic concept. Which turbos work well together?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Twins actually make for a much better driving truck. One of the main goals with twins is to be able to run a big turbo without the drawbacks of slow spool-up. They have to be done right, though.
I have heard stories from others on the complications created by running mismatched turbos. I am certainly not the expert on this; I'm sure others will chime in here.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by AK RAM
Good god man...with a SINGLE? I'd hate to have to drive that truck around town. That must be one mean sled puller though.

My vote goes for twins. What horsepower level are you wanting to run at?
He made 540 HP with a max EGT of around 1300 and its his daily driver/puller (TST+injectors). Keith from DD is working on a big single for 500+ HP applications. Most people will say that under 550 HP twins are a waste of money. Right now the aftermarket is catching up with R&D so if it was me I would wait for the singles to finish getting put together, Unless money was not an option but then agin I wouldnt worry about 5-600 HP either. More like 800+HP. One of DD's install centers has an 03 with a TTPM and injectors with Kieths turbo running 500+HP daily.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Re: twins

Originally posted by SLEDHEAD
I am new to this forum, and I am sure you guys have already answered this question before, so bare with me here. I have a 03' 3rd Gen w/ TST and diesel dynamics stage three injectors. I have a pusher pump and a Suncoast tranny. My question is Which Turbo should I use? Do I have to go with twins in order to run the Powermax on 9/9? I tow only lightly and am mostly interested in street race acceleration speed. Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated
Let me make sure I understand you correctly -- You're running DD3's on a 305/555 engine with a TST on the stock turbo? What level is the TST set to and what are your EGT's?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 AM

I have run the box as high as 6/5 but I usually run it on 2/3. I don't tow much but on hard runs I have seen temperatures as high as 1400. I have my shut down on the box set at 1300 the only time it got that high was when I disabled it once.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM

With that much fuel twins are definitely the way to go. They are more driveable have better cooling than any single will. Like mentioned, they must be setup right, so I would stick with one of the major vendors that have the R&D invested.

John
Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 PM

banshee,
How do you like your twins? What do you dyno at? Did you o-ring your head?
I think the general opinion is that twins are the way to go. The only drawback seems to be the cost.

Quick Reply: twins