3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Twin problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Twin problems...

Man, I wish it was twin sisters at this point. That problem would be easier to deal with...

OK, so I have a 62/65/12 over an HT3b. I finally was able to put a boost gauge on the bottom turbo. I was only seeing about 10-12 psi @ 50psi overall. Well, I found the problem and it was a bearing on the the HT3b, so I swapped out bearing housings and compressor housing with a new turbo today and now I am having high egt problems. I opened my waste-gate up so I am only hitting maybe 45psi. However, my EGT's are through the roof.

On stock programming I am seeing 1100*-1200*. Before this problem I was barely able to hit 1200* with electronics on Kill. I cannot find a boost leak, my overall boost is still 45. My bottom turbo boost is only like 10 or so.

What should I be looking for. I have to get this figured out first thing in the morning as I am supposed to be on the road. Any ideas would be great. I am pulling it back into the shop in the AM. New turbo parts were very tight and looked great. I am going to drop the intake off in the morning and make sure the compressor wheel isn't hitting anything. But, I am at a loss with this one.

If my top turbo isn't being fed air will it run hot like that? Is there some reason the bottom turbo wouldn't spool and feed the top?

Thanks For the Help Guys. I am Stressed!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
crash, you got nathans phone number?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 PM

No, I am not running his twins.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 PM

doesn't mean he cant and wont help you out! he is a pretty stand up guy and im sure he will lend you a hand.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Ok, that would be awesome.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 AM

I'm still working on my fuel system, but very near to be installing the twins. I'll be fabbing the brkt for the bottom turbo Sat. morn.,

Crash, where do you have the boost feeds located?? Before, I had over on the intake horn.........

What do I need to keep an eye on...when did your problem start?? How long where these twins on before you started having problems??

Sorry for the quest. at your time of need.........when I have my brkt fabbed, I'll make up another, just send me your info.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 AM

Jason did you talk to Bret about this yet?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 AM

I haven't talked to Bret yet as it was late when we finally got done swapping parts and other misc. stuff. I will be calling him first thing in the morning though. I was hoping that I would get some good ideas from you guys and be able to do a quick fix! He sent me the new bottom turbo minus the exhaust housing, which is perfect. So, I am not real sure what might be going on at this point.

I honestly am having a hard time sleeping just thinking about what might be going on.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM

Alright, so this AM I am waiting on phone calls back. Until then someone mentioned that maybe the wastegate isn't opening and that is not allowing the bottom turbo to come on like it is supposed to. Does that make sense? Because overall I can still see 40psi+?

I am going to test the wastegate right now to see what it opens at. I will post back.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is kind of hard to diagnose from a forum, but it sounds an awful lot like a leak somewhere. Your bottom turbo should be already starting to spool long before the wastegate opens, but a closed wastegate will hamper exhaust flow and therefore total spool and cause higher egts from the backpressure. But you are still flowing the exhaust gases through the primary so it should be going.

You are still showing over 40 psi, so it can't be too big of a leak if that is indeed the problem.

WHen you swapped the EH, did you ensure everything was spinning properly? If nothing is hitting, you do have a older, slower turbo with new journals that takes a little time to break in. If yours are just a little tighter than normal, this could contribute... but I highly doubt that; just throwing that out there.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM

I am going to pull the intake tube off of the bottom turbo to make sure everything is still spinng freely.

I do not have any leaks that I can find. I have a small leak at the exhaust manifold where the pieces fit together, but nothing major. With that being said, does anybody have an easy fix for a leak at the joint on the exhaust manifold?

I also thought about the turbo maybe needing to break in a little bit, but I wouldn't think they would cause that big of a problem. I will post back in a bit after I check these things.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Ok, I tested the WG and it opens and moves freely. So it is doing what it is supposed to.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Alright I am at a total loss!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CrashCade

If my top turbo isn't being fed air will it run hot like that? Is there some reason the bottom turbo wouldn't spool and feed the top?

Thanks For the Help Guys. I am Stressed!
I thought the small turbo got spooling then fed the bottom turbo to get it going. When we installed my brothers and tuned them Nathan said you wanted both turbo's to be about the same boost. So it sounds like your bottom one is hardly doing anything creating high egt's. At 45psi your bottom one should be roughly 20psi. On the MPI twins you adjust the top turbo's wastegate to do that. What kinda wastegate does it have? Sounds like its not opening soon enough to feed the bottom turbo. Just my guessing though??
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
KKB

I am with bigd450 on this one. I have no idea about twins but from the little I know it sounds like the wastegate on you top turbo needs to be adjusted to make it open sooner to feed the bottom turbo. You said you have a 62 series top turbo so it could make 40+ psi before the wastegate opens but in a twins setup it should open sooner than that.

Quick Reply: Twin problems...