3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo Upgrade Time Again. Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Upgrade Time Again. Opinions??

Okay...so my truck hasn't been the focus of my attention for some time and I want that to change. I just picked up a Evergreen Amped FS28 toy hauler that has a GVWR of 12,900 lbs. Based on my calculations, it's around 12,000 with how I load it. Before I had a Weekend Warrior SuperLite FK2100 that was around 8000 lbs loaded. I am running the stock turbo and have been for about the last 15,000 miles. I was fed up with the massive smoke levels on every shift with my II Silver 62 turbo. It just wouldn't spool fast enough so on every single shift, I had to baby into the throttle to keep from leaving everyone behind me in a cloud, every single time I left from a stop. It got OLD. And because it wouldn't light as quickly as stock, my EGTs ran pretty high if I lugged anywhere below 1900 RPM...1100-1200 RPM constant just cruising on the highway in 6th gear. That was with the 8000 lb trailer. The new one at 12,000 on the STOCK turbo runs around 1000 degrees at the same RPM. So EGT control is NO issue with my truck under load on the stock turbo. My biggest concern is drive pressure. With the smarty beta files, almost every level is intense but I love the low smoke levels compared to the other smarty files I've tried that came out after the beta files. With the stock turbo, smoke levels and EGTs are perfect....I'm just fearing the drive pressures in the exhaust as well as the reliability of the stocker at my current 65,000 miles. While the turbo has only 40,000 or so on it (because I ran the Silver 62 for 25k), most of my driving is towing or harder driving so I have to think the life is limited. Plus, I miss 1-2 mpg improvement and top end power of the bigger turbo.

SOOO, that being said. What turbos can you all suggest that will spool as good or better than stock, while giving a MPG and performance boost? It sounds like the ATS A3K spools better than stock but is a marginal improvement. It has to spool like stock (better would be amazing) in order to keep the smoke levels within reason on every shift when daily driving around town...one big disadvantage to the NV trucks.

I know twins is the way to go but I'd rather put the money into a good single and 50 HP injectors since eventually I'll be looking at injectors anyway (60k miles out of 65k with higher than stock rail pressures).

Thanks in advance!! Mods are in my signature to help with the suggestion.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went from a HTT 62/71/13ss to an ED Billet 63/68/14 and enjoy it very much. With the Hamilton cam I put in, I love it. It will smoke some. For you, I would suggest a Garrett turbo if spoolup/smoke is a major concern. It has been a while since I looked but a GT3788 would be inline.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I went from a HTT 62/71/13ss to an ED Billet 63/68/14 and enjoy it very much. With the Hamilton cam I put in, I love it. It will smoke some. For you, I would suggest a Garrett turbo if spoolup/smoke is a major concern. It has been a while since I looked but a GT3788 would be inline.
Great, thanks for the input. Any opinion on the cheaper S400/stock compound twin kits? $2600 isn't much more than a garrett BB set up. I was thinking the garrett kits would be a good option and they appear to include all of the parts to add water cooling to the CHRA.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Based on the mods in your sig, either of those two options are very good. The twins will give you more flexibility and more air. The garrett will spool about the same as stock (or slightly quicker) and provide less back pressure.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Looks like the stage 2 Powermax Garrett kit is a great single choice. How about the new Applied Performance Stage 1? http://appliedperformanceproducts.com/applied-performance-products/performance-stock-replacement-turbo-for-03-07-dodge-ram-5-9l-cummins.html
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 PM

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the stocker/s400 twins setup. Just my .02.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 PM

Who makes a good kit with a genuine S400? I found reviews on the $2600 ebay kit and almost everyone has oil leaking issues with the s400 included. You get what you pay for and I'm not sure if the budget will swing $3500+. New toy hauler zapped me pretty good.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 PM

MPI kit was very good. I have heard Nathan has been having some health issue. Not sure what's going on. Take your time in your search for the correct builder of a high quality kit. You don't want to skimp on that or your twins escapade may be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting on a modified HE351 from Austin Tate (Taterbuilt). He'll custom build what you need. I'm getting a 63/65 w/ billet wheel. The turbine housing is modified for better flow. It's supposed to spoolup just a bit slower than a stock turbo. I have my Smarty Jr set so I just get a very small amount of smoke. I'm hoping I don't have more smoke. If you put a 10 blade turbine wheel (stock is 12) the turbine will flow better. Spoolup is faster and egt is supposed to drop. Give Austin a call he might be able to build the turbo you need.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Excellent, thanks for the input guys! I'll look into both.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:40 AM

For the Garretts probably best bet if wanting to run a single would be the Powermax kit which is a 3782 set up to be direct bolt-in on 3rd gen manifold. I have the 3782 (not Powermax) over a 4202 built by Pat at Big Twin Diesel. Completely awesome one of the absolute best things I have done on my truck. Still stock fueling. Lost 100* EGT and truck runs so sweet its almost unbelievable.

A lot of guys run the stock turbo over a 475 and that is supposed to be a pretty awesome setup for being a great street drive and tow rig as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply! It seems the powermax kits have been discontinued so whatever inventory might be out there is it while it lasts. I certainly would love to try a powermax 3782 kit if I could get my hands on one. It's still over a grand cheaper than a good stock over S400 kit so I am struggling with what to do. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:21 PM

I think you would likely be better off with a stock over 475 compound twin set -unless- pounding your truck hard in the desert then may want to stay with a single turbo. The twins like a small towing set stock or 358, 60, etc. over a 475 (especially if the manifold is T4 and secondary same) for drive pressure is gonna be hard to beat and fairly cost effective too. Anarchy, Source, etc. are a couple good vendors that sell a good kit.

I had a Powermax 3782 on a 3rd gen manifold and it was a sweet little turbo. Really worked nice and howled like a banshee. Sometimes I wish I had just kept that turbo. The twin Garretts I have now are incredible. But the cost of those may be prohibitive for a lot of guys and there may be certain uses for the truck where a good single is desired. Twins really are hard to beat for daily drive and tow. A good BW single might be the 362 in a T4 but I don't have personal experience with that just what I have read.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Another thing to consider with twins is the shock towers may not be able to change to Carli or Thuren with a big primary turbo stuffed in there which will limit how big a shock can be installed to a 2.5" pintop King. I wanted to go with at least 3" Kings but needed the accessory shock towers which won't fit with a big primary turbo in place. This is a good reason to accurately define exactly what is to be done with the truck before starting off modifying it.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Great, thanks for the tips. Any opinion on the Cummins Tuner twin kit? It seems to keep the 3rd gen manifold in place which I like since I already have a ATS manifold.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade Time Again. Opinions??