3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo upgrade

looking for some options for a turbo upgrade. Dont really want to replace a whole lot, just need something to replace stock turbo that would hopefully spool faster and get a little better boost on the top end, hopefully help out the mpg also. I tow quite a bit so need something that is gonna be good for towing also. Basically just need an all around turbo for a daily driver thats better than stock.

Do not plan on adding sticks but will probably add a fuel system soon.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 PM

I might have a few more upgrades but anyway. I'm installing a Sliver 62 this weekend, if you want to wait a little i can give you some good feedback on how mine turns out. I like you was looking for an upgrade for now and future (some day i'll get twins) but for now wanted to get as close to 600 with stock sticks as i could....got a lot of feedback and several people told me to go with a silver 62....sooo we'll see what happens.

good luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

That will probably be nice, ive got a buddy that wants to sell his phat shaft 62 and an afe intake manifold for $1k. Not sure if the phat shaft is a direct bolt on though? And not sure how good a deal that is. Havent been into modding the truck for a couple years now, so Im a little unsure of what to do. Im pretty sure my stock turbo is done though. My mpg has gone to $hit and when I kill the truck I can hear the turbo wheel grinding :/. So right now Im looking for gauges and a turbo.

What do you think about the phat shaft 62 and what is the difference in the silver bullet and the regular ol phat shaft??
Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Well by no means am i turbo expert but here is what i understand. The silver is polished and more efficient and has a 74mm turbine which is supposed to help with surge. Other than those things it's the same as the super phatshaft 62. One of the selling points for me is that it can support fuel upgrades and is usable in a compound setup, so still good for the future. As with anything i'm sure there is something better out there and i'm sure some people are reading this thinking...boy this guys should have bought turbo X instead....so take my advice/experience with a grain of salt. If this turbo works out ok, i might have a stocker for sale.

As for bolting up...the silver 62 is pretty much a bolt on, i'm getting a new down pipe with it and changing out the intake to an S&B mostly to add a little pop to the engine bay but also would like more turbo whine.

I'll post up how it runs when i get it all together.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a look at our new Killer B Turbo. It flows 1050cfm. It still has great bottom end performance with enough flow to keep your egts in check. This will be a direct bolt on with your truck and will still allow if you want a turbo mount exhaust brake to be installed. This turbo flows almost as much as our Super B Special turbo, but has much better throttle response for towing.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't get a turbo with a turbine of 71mm or 74mm. It will be a laggy pig. HTT 62/65/13ss would be my suggestion. As far as an performance turbo that spools faster than stock and has better top end. It's not gonna happen. Turbo's are give and take. Take your time or you will be doing this one again.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:24 AM

Turbo upgrade

My rig has just a paltry 555/305 CTD. I am running a HTB2 62/12 and really like it for what I do. I spoke to Pete, been a few years ago, @ HTT about what I wanted and he pretty well set me up with what I needed. It is not very flashy and a bit old school but very ncie for my requirements. Last fall I pulled a 35 foot travel trailer through the Rockies of Colorado and Utah and in the areas that the road was good was able to run 70+ with reasonable EGT and good performance. I'm not exactly stock but I'm not very wild either. Good luck with your search.

L8r,...............dogger
Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Don't get a turbo with a turbine of 71mm or 74mm. It will be a laggy pig. HTT 62/65/13ss would be my suggestion. As far as an performance turbo that spools faster than stock and has better top end. It's not gonna happen. Turbo's are give and take. Take your time or you will be doing this one again.
Please tell me my silver 62 isn't going to be a laggy pig. This is exactly what i didn't want. I'm not using all the fuel with my stocker and i wanted something that could use all the fuel and spool quicker...crude!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not that familiar with the II turbo's. From what is in my signature I need more fuel and then it will be a trade off with EGT's. I wouldn't trust anyone with my truck to pull heavy with it. I can pegg the EGT gauge when taking off but I use throttle control until I get up to speed. Just grossed 20,000 lbs today truck and trailer. I will be changing in the distant future to twins...
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
The HTT 62/65/13 is what I put on my 06. It spools just about the same as the stock and seems to put out a little more boost. I haven't dogged it to see how much it will put out but it seems to work great. I'm happy with it.

Dave

Ps. How do you like your DTT from James?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

My 62/65 from Majestic Turbo spools almost like the stocker, but with better flow. I adjusted the wastegate from 45 down to 30 psi and it will rip right to the 30 psi mark on the boost guage. Egt's are relatively low too.....it will run about 700* going down the highway at 70 mph. I am very satisfied with it and have been for well over a year now.