3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo Trouble??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Trouble??

So I decided to put an Edge with Attitude on my 05 today. While installing the EGT in the manifold we broke the tap. Long story short, we didnt have all the broke metal out before cranking it. Now the impeller at the wastegate appears messed up. Will it be safe to drive for a couple of days till we can fix the turbo. Dont want to mess anything up. I just got the truck on Wed. and it only has 400 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Travis
Old 09-30-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That depends on how messed up it is . If it is very bad it can be off balance and start to vibrate and will more than likely mess up the bearing if not come apart. Just my .02
Old 09-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Each blade of the impeller has a small portion broke off. We can spin the turbo by hand and it spins freely and doesnt appear to be out of balance. I base this on the fact that it doesnt seem to stop in one particular place while spinning it. I know that really isn't the proper way of checking but that is all we have at the moment.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

Holy bejesis, that's a heck of a way to start out having a new truck!!! Dang dude that sucks............ but anywhooo to the subject at hand:

If I were you I would try not to drive it as much as possible, I don't think it's gonna damage to much but it is better to be safe then sorry. Fixing the impeller is a lot cheaper than fixing the whole freakin thing.

If you absolutely have to drive it, I would try to lug that sucker everywhere you go, those turbos spin so fast that any kinda boost might throw it off balance and royally screw you.......... sorry I can't be more helpful, that is a crappy predicament to be in.

Sorry man, good luck

~Nick
Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 PM

Ouch...

You've trashed your turbo. Spinning the impeller by hand at 20-30 rpm won't tell you didly about something that is balanced to turn upto 150,000 rpm, those little peices missing are going to cause serious balance problems and it will not last long.

If it were mine I wouldn't drive it at all. In your case call a tow truck to get it to wherever it's going to be fixed at. Probably not a good idea to try to fix it yourself...

$3 tap, $900 turbo and a brand new $40K truck, that's expensive schooling.

Can't help but ask... if you knew you broke the tap, why did you start it?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 PM

How difficult is it to replace that particular impeller at the wastgate and what is the proper name of it. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the turbo.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:22 PM

take everything off, blow the turbo and take it to the dealer to get a brand new turbo

my friend just got his 6.0 Stroke back today. he blew one turbo at about 10,000 miles and blew the motor at 46,000 miles and it was just replaced with a brand new 04 6.0L last week. Warranty and all, even though he was modified.

i would just blow the turbo and make the dealer think it was like that from the factory
Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by caltom
Ouch...

You've trashed your turbo. Spinning the impeller by hand at 20-30 rpm won't tell you didly about something that is balanced to turn upto 150,000 rpm, those little peices missing are going to cause serious balance problems and it will not last long.

If it were mine I wouldn't drive it at all. In your case call a tow truck to get it to wherever it's going to be fixed at. Probably not a good idea to try to fix it yourself...

$3 tap, $900 turbo and a brand new $40K truck, that's expensive schooling.

Can't help but ask... if you knew you broke the tap, why did you start it?
I just wanted a good reason to post here. What a Edit. I didnt crank the thing right after it happened. We were able to remove what we thought was all of the broken tap. Just so happened that we missed a piece. We took the entire thing apart and found another small piece. As far as fixing it myself probably not. I will take it to my buddys shop. Which brings me to my next question. If the turbo is trashed what might be a good aftermarket model.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:07 PM

seems to me,you would be able to replace the impeller only.call city diesel in decatur alabama,or one of the other turbo shops.they can set you up..........bama
Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bama
seems to me,you would be able to replace the impeller only.call city diesel in decatur alabama,or one of the other turbo shops.they can set you up..........bama
We thought about that. I think they are closed tomorrow so it will have to wait till Mon. Where are you in AL.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Stroke's reply of blow it up and let the dealer fix likely won't fly, they'll see the EGT probe and figure that out.

Check http://www.holset.co.uk under parts/service for the distributor nearest you. They have several distributors in each state that can get parts or rebuild it.

If you need a new turbo, being a brand new truck, I'd replace it with a Holset he351 just like it came with. That is if you care about having a warranty at all. The way DC voids warranties on modded trucks, I'd say to much to risk with only 400 miles.

Otherwise, depending how much you want to bomb it, lots of good things are being reported about the SP-66 and SPS-66. Good for up to 685 hp and you get a free T-shirt after an $1100 purchase.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:48 PM

Your forgetting one thing!

So your missing small peices
So you KNOW the engine was running when the aformentioned peices were not so gently removed from the turbo compressor wheel....
So where do you think those peices are now? Might want to take your charge air cooler off and see if you can dump out any of the bigger peices that got caught in the tank on the inlet side of the cooler. Before they get to the engine.
Also, I too would NOT run the engine until the turbo is repaired. The other guys are right. The G-forces created at 50,000 rpm are insane. It will rip that thing apart extremely fast.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 AM

i got a stocker in the barn with less than 300 miles in the barn all boxed up,pm me if interested
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 AM

check your box
Old 10-01-2005, 09:59 AM

Sorry about the flippant comments last night.

Wasn't called for, I apologize.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Quick Reply: Turbo Trouble??