3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo timer..Which one to get??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo timer..Which one to get??

Hey Fella's, I know this is prob. a beat to death question , but Im looking to get some sort of cool down timer. I do alot of short trips, like from store to store, and so on, and I do let my truck Idle down for at least 45 sec. before I shut her off. It's really starting to get to me!! Im not puting any heavy aftermarket performance accessories on my truck, so Im not even looking towards anything like the Outlook monitor (I think thats what its called). Im gonna put a set of Isspro's in it just to keep better tabs on the engine.

Im looking for some type of timer that will maybe keep the parking lights on, or flash them while its in cooldown mode just to let me know that its working. Im really getting tired of sitting in my truck on 90 degree days, sweating with the A/C off, and counting down till I can turn the key off.

Anybody buy the ones off E-bay, that the imports use?? They have a little remote monitor, thats like the size of a lighter, that you controll everything from, and the main box you hide under the dash. I also don't want a big "Dooky" looking box that I have to velcro to the top of my dash with a timer dial on it. Looking for something I can hide, or just barely notice. Thats why I asked about the E-bay ones.

Any info, please send it my way. Thanks guys
Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 PM

I really like Howards...availible right here on the DTR. It is the least expensive, very easy to hoo up, and the custon version allows stealth install.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:57 PM

I was looking at Howards also.

My only question is that since it leaves the motor running for whatever the setting is on. What happens when you need to get back in your vehicle to go somewhere? The the system shut off when the keys is entered or do you turn it off or what?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by david_4x4
I was looking at Howards also.

My only question is that since it leaves the motor running for whatever the setting is on. What happens when you need to get back in your vehicle to go somewhere? The the system shut off when the keys is entered or do you turn it off or what?
If you put the key back in the truck just keeps running, the timer disengages.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got SP's timer. It worked great until it stopped working. Now I gotta troubleshoot it and if I can't fix it, I've gotta send it back....oh the horror.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you put the key back in the truck just keeps running, the timer disengages.
Do do you go threw the whole starting process? with actually fully turning the key?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:11 PM

The Howards is exactly what im NOT looking for. I want to keep my interior as stock as possible. I dont want to mount that black box to the top or bottom of my dash.

I guess the small import ones might work, I would just have to get a schematic for wiring it up for the Dodge.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
The Howards is exactly what im NOT looking for. I want to keep my interior as stock as possible. I dont want to mount that black box to the top or bottom of my dash.

I guess the small import ones might work, I would just have to get a schematic for wiring it up for the Dodge.
Obviously you have not looked into Howards custom timer, all you see is the little light and switch you mount where ever you like NO BOX at the top or bottom of the dash.

But reading your post I think you would be best served with some ricer junk anyway
Old 08-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally posted by david_4x4
Do do you go threw the whole starting process? with actually fully turning the key?
No you just turn the key to the on position, that cancels the timer out.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM

Does anybody have a link for the Howards custom timer??

Its not the fact that I want Ricer products in my truck, its that I want something that doesnt stick out like a sore thumb!!

I HATE RICERS!! When I go to my local track, I walk to the pit area when they start racing, Dont want to watch them, and cant stand them. I think The Fast and Furious was the worst thing that could of ever happened to influence the car world!! When I pull up to one at a light I ususally ask what does he have to do to get that cool exhaust sound, hit the Whip, or Puree button... They dont like that too much!! I almost got my butt kicked once at the track, for the way I was making fun of them .

Anyway... I cant seem to fint a pic of the Howards custom timer, I can deal with a **** and LED mounted somewhere, thats alot better than velcroing that box to my dash!!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
Anyway... I cant seem to fint a pic of the Howards custom timer, I can deal with a **** and LED mounted somewhere, thats alot better than velcroing that box to my dash!!
I was in the DTR Performance Shop grabbing a candy bar (sorry guys, but I got the last Milky Way) and found this on the shelf: http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/hotucoticuin.html
Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks "12Pack", thats helpful link. The onle thing that turns me off to it is it has a 2 min. minnimum. With my driving, I usually wait about 30-45 sec before shutting down. Maybe on the real hot days here in NY, buy the time I back into my driveway, I'll wait till like 1 minute.

That custom mount Howards is nice, I would just like to see if theres any other options out there.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:01 PM

I know MedicShawn bought one of Howards timers, before he offered the custom ones, and took it apart and mounted it where he wanted it. I don't know how many others did this or bought the custom timer. I'd like to see some pics of how other owners mounted their custom timers now that his ad says it's available for the 05's.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
No you just turn the key to the on position, that cancels the timer out.
Good deal. Can never know to much.

Guess I'll place an order next week.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

You KNOW you want some Ricer stuff in that truck!

All kidding aside if you idle down the street to your house a fairly good distance you may not need to set the timer. For me I find that the two minutes is perfect for me here in the mountains with an empty truck. But I will see temps of 900 degrees just coming up my driveway.

If I have been towing my camper or boat I use a longer setting. Lot's of different stuff out there, but I really like the no nonsense approach Howard took with his timers.

Quick Reply: Turbo timer..Which one to get??