3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo Sound at Max Boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turbo Sound at Max Boost

I recently installed the boost elbow which is supposed to let my truck get up to 33 psi boost or so instead of the stock 20 psi. I have noticed that if I REALLY get into the throttle then the turbo kind of has a howling sound to it that is different from the normal whistle that I'm used to hearing.

Is this normal? I assumed the whistle that I'm accustomed to would just get louder at higher boost...but this is a whole different sound.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds normal Hoss. Mine went from a whistling sound to a high pitched shriek almost. How are you liking the exhaust?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM

I recently installed mine also and my turbo does not sound like you are describing. It sounds the same, only louder.
On another note, I recently found out that my new EZ box has the secret setting #5. You should try yours. It made a big difference. It's ::: X:: and it's not in the manual. The first box I had did not do anything at this setting but this one does.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 PM

my adjustable boost elbow should be here within a few days, now I know what to expexct
Old 08-09-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Sounds normal Hoss. Mine went from a whistling sound to a high pitched shriek almost. How are you liking the exhaust?
I wouldn't say mine shrieks...but it definitely makes a different sort of sound.

I like the exhaust. If you recall, I was not at all pleased with it at first. Now it has kind of grown on me. Still has a bit of a ricer sound at times but I've learned to accept it.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Dodgezilla
I recently installed mine also and my turbo does not sound like you are describing. It sounds the same, only louder.
On another note, I recently found out that my new EZ box has the secret setting #5. You should try yours. It made a big difference. It's ::: X:: and it's not in the manual. The first box I had did not do anything at this setting but this one does.
Have you ever REALLY gotten into it?? You know...the kind of getting into where you're blowing black smoke out the pipe and all of the cars around you are trembling in fear at the big truck that is accelerating at the rate of a Dodge Viper??

What kind of numbers does the Level 5 setting have? Is that not the setting that many used which caused problems because of fuel pressures being too high? Can you feel a big difference between Level 3 and Level 5?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 PM

I have "really gotten on it" with my CP3.2 on level 2...smoking like crazy and my turbo has a nice growl to it. Nothing bad or wierd sounding...just sounds like it is working harder. Can't wait till I can control the EGT's a little better!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:22 PM

you really wanna hear your turbo change your downpipe remove your cat and install a dual mbrp exhaust .....sounds like a f-16 fighter and a big block all rolled in one but yet its diesel
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Don't forget to take the silencer ring out.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by CrazyKracka
you really wanna hear your turbo change your downpipe remove your cat and install a dual mbrp exhaust .....sounds like a f-16 fighter and a big block all rolled in one but yet its diesel
I already did all that....only my truck never had a cat....and I don't have or want duals.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:26 AM

Hey Hoss,
I have to agree with Dodgezilla on the turbo sounding the same but louder. I believe it was #6 setting that was causing problems with the edge. Unless I am mistaken that is why there is a clipped jumper in the set. Maybe you don't like duals, but you may want to give their single 4" a try. Their exhausts sound great.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:13 AM

Hoss the difference between #3 and #5 is (on my truck anyways). No numbers though as I didn't realize I had #5 until a week after the dyno day. MIne actually sounds pretty good at full throttle with just the Magnaflow and yes Hoss I have REALLY gotten into it.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by mudslinger
Hey Hoss,
.......Maybe you don't like duals, but you may want to give their single 4" a try. Their exhausts sound great.
Read my signature.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Dodgezilla
Hoss the difference between #3 and #5 is (on my truck anyways). No numbers though as I didn't realize I had #5 until a week after the dyno day. MIne actually sounds pretty good at full throttle with just the Magnaflow and yes Hoss I have REALLY gotten into it.
I thought the difference between 3 and 5 was only about 15 HP??
Old 08-12-2004, 05:35 PM

I think it's more like 20 hp/50 tq. I could tell the difference when I switched it over so it has to be significant. Did you try it yet?? I e-mailed Edge to find out why they don't advertise the # 5 setting and also what the actual power gains are. I will advise when they get back to me....

Quick Reply: Turbo Sound at Max Boost