3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

turbo for MPI twins

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselhed
I was in your same situation several months ago and opted for the HTT 62/71/13 on top and an S400 on the bottom (74mm wheel) an I could not be happier. I have Flux 2's as well and now that I'm getting some miles on the this setup I would do the same combo in a heartbeat. Very nice....

Have you driven in any high elevations. I live at 7000'
That is a nice setup.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by desertchecker
527 rwhp on a stock turbo is actually very, very , STRONG

with MPI stock S400 you may get close to 600 rwhp but IMO probably not much more without risk of turbo destruction
The stocker/s400(74) supports at least 650hp. That is the set up and power level that Nathan had on his own personal truck for a long time.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 AM

I put a set of Source Automotive twins on my 05, and I was very surprised on how small the stock turbo is on the exhaust side. Of course I was comparing it to a 66 stainless, and an S480. I haven't tried a stock turbo in a twin setup, but by looking at the stock one, I don't think I would try it.

Paul
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by paulb
I put a set of Source Automotive twins on my 05, and I was very surprised on how small the stock turbo is on the exhaust side. Of course I was comparing it to a 66 stainless, and an S480. I haven't tried a stock turbo in a twin setup, but by looking at the stock one, I don't think I would try it.

Paul
Do you have any pictures of your twins? The fit and finish seems great.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM

I'm having a roll bar put in it right now, but as soon as I have it back I'll take some pics.

Paul
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Paul
If you dont mind could you tell how much that kit ran you? Im on the fence between MPI, Rentless, Hellmann, and Source (source is the only price I dont know though) kits using the stock turbo on top. And did it come w/ filter, and exh. manifold? And was the bottom turbo a S400?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM

MPI will use the stocker on top. Source does not do a stock turbo twins kit. I believe MPI and Source are about the same pricing for a full or 2/3rds kit. I will have to check into to other two have not heard much on them.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
MPI will use the stocker on top. Source does not do a stock turbo twins kit. I believe MPI and Source are about the same pricing for a full or 2/3rds kit. I will have to check into to other two have not heard much on them.
Hellmann makes some very trick custom fab stuff for dodge trucks and race cars, at a very nice price. Rentless has the artic cat twins. all in the low-mid 3k range.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Paul

Why not try it? Its been proven to work. If you're not using to large of a primary turbo, the stocker lasts longer and works even less than on the truck when it was stock. Nathan at MPI has discussed this and has said that the stocker only runs around 10 psi of the total boost created.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:39 PM

I'm having a roll bar put in it right now, but as soon as I have it back I'll take some pics.

Paul

Are you putting a cage in it or a roll bar in the box?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 PM

turbo for MPI twins

Originally Posted by omaharam
The stocker/s400(74) supports at least 650hp. That is the set up and power level that Nathan had on his own personal truck for a long time.
sorry for the temp hi jack on this thread

but omaha .........do you have any stock/s400 dyno sheets to share with us please ?

if so ...what have your dyno results yielded on #2 ONLY with the MPI stock S400 ? how about any 1/4 #2 only track slips to share ?

mph & et is quite an easy conversion to hp

my truck is running a set of nathans MPI 62-71-13 ss / S480 twin combos , spearco intercooler, PPE dual cp3s , TNT-R , MP8, cam , springs, fluxs & some other supporting mods

nathan & I installed my twins together in his shop at the time
he seemed to think I would have a hard time being able to hit 750 rwhp on #2 with that setup ? nathan said it would be easier to hit 750 rwhp using my tst r-49 adj programs added in the mix he also said that adding bigger injectors also would be needed to hit 750 rwhp with the supporting mods on my truck running the MPI HTT 62/71/13 ss S480 twin combo !

BTW Omaha my fluxs injectors are very close in size to yours !

so not sure about the stock turbo /S400 SUPPORTING 650rwhp ?

to me supporting means WITH EASE !

I think capable of hitting 650rwhp , would be much better choice of wording

of course its very possible someone could hit that number or even slightly higher numbers but the stock /s400 is seriously reaching at 650 rwhp especially with minimal cp3 mods !

is it do-able ? yes ....... maybe with lot's of supporting mods

the big question ? is the stock/s400 within it's effeciency range at 650 rwhp + ?

if a HTT 62/71/13ss / S480 combo with supporting mods would have a hard time hitting 750 rwhp

then how much more power is the HTT 62/71/13 worth over a stock turbo like for like mods ?

how much more power is the S480 worth over S400 like for like mods ?

back on thread ...........

the stock s400 would be great for high elevation

but an even better setup would be the htt MPI 62/65/13 ss / garrett twin combo ask nathan about that setup for ultra quick spool & big power at elevation !

Last edited by desertchecker; 05-30-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: edit text
Old 05-31-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
Why not try it? Its been proven to work. If you're not using to large of a primary turbo, the stocker lasts longer and works even less than on the truck when it was stock. Nathan at MPI has discussed this and has said that the stocker only runs around 10 psi of the total boost created.
I didn't say it wouldn't work, and if Nathan sells it I'm sure it does. He wouldn't sell anything that didn't work. It's just not something that would meet my needs.

Paul
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rhetorical
Are you putting a cage in it or a roll bar in the box?
It will be NHRA legal to 10.00. It's a 6 point roll bar.

Paul
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 AM
DTR Advertiser

Hi Paul!

Getting things ironed out I see. ( -:
Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 AM

I ran 12.4 @ 102 (let off bracket racing) with a stock/S400 set up on my truck. It had a stage 2 pump and somewhere around a flux 2 or 2.5. Later I ran it all out from a low boost launch (long story but I built boost too early against a 5 second slower truck and got out of it and tried to get back in it) and it did 109mph banging off the speed limiter (this was before anyone really had the speed limiter figured out). I was using the BDDL on the middle setting and the TST on 6-4 if I remember right. The only thing removed from the truck was the spare and tailgate. I never weighed the truck but I would bet it was between 7000lbs and 7200lbs with me in it. In a hp calculator that is between 615 and 630hp based on mph and it was cutting out around the 1000' mark. I went through the traps at around 1400*. When I say it will support that hp I mean it will be relatively close to 1400* racing or driving hard. Towing or sled pulling will always get hotter. It can make more typically but it's unuseable for very long. What stops the stock set up from making more is drive pressure and the lack of wastegating ability.

With a stock cp3 and injectors my truck ran 12.89 @ 105mph and dynoed 587hp.

Nick,

The reason I said I didn't know if it will make 750hp is because I have another customer that has 2.5's and he has only done 750hp. With flux injectors every level seems to be good for around 70-85hp over stock. Since stock injectors are maxed around 600hp you can do the math. A TST is usually needed to get the max numbers and you weren't running one. That is why I was skeptical about you making 750hp.

There are a lot of factors that come into play when dealing with twins. For example a 62/65/13 and GT42 can make over 700hp but it's going to be hot. It will spool close to the same as a stock/S400 but will have slightly lower back pressure because of the larger top charger and wastegate on the 42. With a S400 it will make even more but in reality changing the top charger only makes more power by easing back pressure and flow through. The biggest limiter is the flow of the primary since it does most of the work in a twin application.

With equal top chargers the S480 will make about 150hp more than a S400. With a external gate it will make closer to 200hp more.

Quick Reply: turbo for MPI twins