3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Install Advice

Got a deal on an Aurora 3K, and am looking for installation/swap instructions and tips. Tried the board search engine, and got a few tips, but nothing really detailed. If I try to do this myself, it'll be solo, so I'm trying to decide if I'm better off just paying a shop to do the job. If anyone has a link to instructions or tips, I'd appreciate the help. TIA!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM

do the install yourself, it's really not that hard. It's been a little while since I installed mine, but I'll tell you what I remember.

1. spray down the bolts/nuts with penetrating oil the day before you do the swap.
2. To break a couple of the bolts loose I had to use an combo (box/open end) wrench with another wrench on the end for leverage.
3. Definitely take off the fenderwell liner and wheel (it takes about 6 minutes to do).

I'm sure others will chime in with some additional hints
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM

Taking it off solo is easy. Putting it back on is not so easy solo. You will need an extra set of hands to hold the turbo and also to get the downpipe back into the cast elbow while tightening the v-band clamp. I pull the exhaust manifold and turbo together. It's much easier this way and it also allows you to properly torque the nuts on the turbo to manifold union. You shouldn't need manifold gaskets but I got an extra set just in case. Mine were fine the first time but this last time I will use the new set because I feel like the current ones are flatened out a bit for my taste. The drain tube on the bottom of the turbo needs to be swapped in before you attempt the reinstallation of the new turbo. The oil supply can be done after you install it though. The coolant hose bracket is a pain to deal with but it does have rubber unions in it that allow for enough room to clear the manifold stud if you finess it just right. Taking the inner fender and wheel off is a great idea I do it every time I work on that side of the engine. When you mount the cast elbow, don't tighten the clamp all of the way because it will need clocked a little to line up with the down pipe. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff but hopefully others will chime in with any missing info. Also, don't forget the resistor plug that goes into the stock electronic wastegate harness. They are available from HTT or II for around $30. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 AM

And make sure you prelube your turbo before starting.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys - all welcome words!
bigcat - I've seen reference to prelubing, but no specifics. Is this simply filling through the inlet line once the outlet line is hooked up and the turbo mounted? And how much water do I use?

(joke)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JIMCTD
Thanks guys - all welcome words!
bigcat - I've seen reference to prelubing, but no specifics. Is this simply filling through the inlet line once the outlet line is hooked up and the turbo mounted? And how much water do I use?

(joke)

lol i was like what hold one lol.

Ya just intall the drain line first then pour oil into the inlet and spin the cold wheel of the turbo then your ready to go.some folks don;t but i have seen turbos take a beep after a few thousand miles.cause of that.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Got'cha!
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JIMCTD
Got'cha!
Thanks for the help.
ya no problem hope it all owrks out for ya.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

you may have to grind the outside diameter of the box wrench to fit the rear inner nut. go buy a cheap one you dont mind ruining. then use a propane torch to warm the nuts and shoot penetrating oil on them after the torch is away. do this a couple of times and then use the wrench to remove. makes it so much easier, and lessens the chance to gall the threads.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 AM

you can take the manifold and turbo off together. thats how I do it. I got new studs from cummins along with new gaskets. this way will take 2 people. the combo together is not lightweight